Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
18-250mm problem....

For ages now (about 14months ) I"ve owned the Pentax version of this lens. But , like thousands of other owners have had to put up with the dreaded "Lens Creep".
There"s been elastic hair bands wrapped around the lens but they:ve lost their grip (apart from the fact it hardly works)
About a week ago I had a sudden "eureka" moment. Got a reel of thin black cotton and wound it round and round the gap in the lens. If you study the mechanism you"ll know which gap ! After a few turns enough friction has been created to stop the lens unwinding. Road tested for a week and it still works.
Any improvements on this please report.....

07-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could you post a pic of the lens with the cotton reel on? Thanks.
07-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you have a camera to post a pic? I just looked at mine and didn't quite recognize the gap you were referring to. I think I have an idea, but a picture is worth "yadda yadda yadda"
07-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good luck damaging your lens' mechanism. I'll just stick to HOLDING THE BARREL, thanks, that fixed the problem for me.

07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
For ages now (about 14months ) I"ve owned the Pentax version of this lens. But , like thousands of other owners have had to put up with the dreaded "Lens Creep".
There"s been elastic hair bands wrapped around the lens but they:ve lost their grip (apart from the fact it hardly works)
About a week ago I had a sudden "eureka" moment. Got a reel of thin black cotton and wound it round and round the gap in the lens. If you study the mechanism you"ll know which gap ! After a few turns enough friction has been created to stop the lens unwinding. Road tested for a week and it still works.
Any improvements on this please report.....
Dave,

Do you have pics, this could be a very cool thing for those of us who have a 18-250mm and every time we let it hang, its pants keep falling down :-)

wll
07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Banned

zoom creep, happens. id too like to see your fix 'in action' but I have just learned to deal with it. you think its bad with a DA lens? try and A or M series lens.... or a later Takumar zoom lens. my SMC-A 70~210mm suffers from this really bad. I also tend to hold the barrel when its not in use. this is of course also useful for keeping the lens close to the body to avoid any situations.
07-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
every time we let it hang, its pants keep falling down :-)
LOL
Great way to describe it. Pics of your idea would be great because I dont really see the "gap" you speak of. My lens is about a month old now and is just starting to get the lovely "fast zoom adjust" when I preview on the lcd.
07-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well I" ve looked all over for instructions to load a pic but no luck. The location of this gap is just in front of the rubber grip. Wind thin black thread tightly round and round in this gap. When you have enough friction cut it off the reel and push the end right into the gap. As I said mine has been done for over a week and the friction has remained constant. If the friction weakens I"ll just wind more cotton round.

07-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have this lens and it creeps only when pointed directly down and not holding the lens...solution: lock it in the widest setting until you need to use it, voila!

Jason
08-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Silicone Wrist bands work wonders.

Thank you
Russell