Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Loose Built-in Hood -- Pentax-A 100 F3.5

I got a nice Pentax-A 100mm F3.5 of eBay. It's in excellent condition optically and cosmetically. However, the built in lens-hood is very loose. It slides back and forth easily by itself when the lens is tilted to a slight angle. Any suggestions on how I should deal with this? Thanks is advance.

07-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you sure it's f/3.5? I'm not aware of any such lens. There's an f/2.8, and there f/2.8 and f/4 macros. The non-macro f/2.8 is optically the same as the M100/2.8 that I have; I only *wish* mine had a hood!

Anyhow, I've got a couple of lenses with those built in hoods that are slightly dented and they kind of "catch" a bit sliding in and out. I'm not sure what normally dampens the motion, but the slight dent seems to help, actually. Not sure if you want to go so far as to intentionlly dent your hood, but could be worth a shot if no other alternatives present themselves.
07-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I also have a similar lens but not a Pentax branded one.
I was tempted to disassemble the hood just to see what mechanism it has to make it a bit tight gripping.
I forgot it after a while and at one time I almost forced the hood off the lens just to make some sort of an adjustment.
I hope someone here knows about hoods like these and have actually repaired them.
I also need this fix.
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a K300/4 with a loose built in hood. I sent it to Eric to fix.

07-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Are you sure it's f/3.5? I'm not aware of any such lens. There's an f/2.8, and there f/2.8 and f/4 macros. The non-macro f/2.8 is optically the same as the M100/2.8 that I have; I only *wish* mine had a hood!

Anyhow, I've got a couple of lenses with those built in hoods that are slightly dented and they kind of "catch" a bit sliding in and out. I'm not sure what normally dampens the motion, but the slight dent seems to help, actually. Not sure if you want to go so far as to intentionlly dent your hood, but could be worth a shot if no other alternatives present themselves.

You're right Marc. I got it confused with my ProMaster 100mm F3.5 macro. The lens that has the problem is a Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 and it's not Macro.
07-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The hoods I've seen (unfortunately not on your lens) use thin felt to provide friction, like the old metal lens caps. I think to get the hood off and replace the felt, you'd have to remove the trim ring around the front element and unscrew the three screws which hold the barrel with the filter threads on. Take that barrel off and the hood should come with it, and you can slide the hood off. On a Pentax-M lens, the trim rings unscrew using the filter threads. On Pentax-A lenses, some unscrew, some pop off, some are even glued on.
07-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The hoods I've seen (unfortunately not on your lens) use thin felt to provide friction, like the old metal lens caps. I think to get the hood off and replace the felt, you'd have to remove the trim ring around the front element and unscrew the three screws which hold the barrel with the filter threads on. Take that barrel off and the hood should come with it, and you can slide the hood off. On a Pentax-M lens, the trim rings unscrew using the filter threads. On Pentax-A lenses, some unscrew, some pop off, some are even glued on.
Thanks for the tip(s) Dave. I'll have a close look to see if I can get to the hood.

07-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I had a K300/4 with a loose built in hood. I sent it to Eric to fix.
Can you please pm me with the information on how to contact Eric, just in case I can't fix it myself? Thanks.
07-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have been wrong about how to take this lens apart. See this thread about the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68104-taking-a...135-3-5-a.html

And here is Eric's site:

Home
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
JRP

Simple fix, use sellotape. Wind the lens fully out and slide the hood out. Cut a strip of sellotape to the exposed width and wrap it around the barrel, where it overlaps, mark it, peel it back and cut it and re-apply. Smooth the sellotape down with a cloth and job done. The cost is just 4" of sellotape!
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum JRP! This is a really old thread, but your advice is good. Thanks for sharing.

Steve