Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have a 44-2, but while my 44M is pretty excellent, I would suggest that something might be wrong with your Tak 55/1.8. I have two copies of the Super Tak 55/1.8 and both eat the Helios for breakfast, particularly if shot on film. (The Helios is very soft in the corners at all apertures, much as it is consistently sharp in the center at all apertures. This characteristic is very evident, even through the viewfinder, when shooting film.)

Steve

(...despite the goodness of the Taks, I still am extremely fond of and prefer shooting with the Helios 44M )
Stevebrot

couple of sample pics see what you think
tak:
http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/IMGP5603.JPG
helios:
http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/IMGP5605.JPG
(NB if you get a 404 try copying and pasting the url...)
shows the different colours of the tak nucely.
Of course we must consider:
?1. partic good helios
?2. partic bad tak
?3 partic incompetent photographer!

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-09-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: wrong url
04-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter

ZENIT M52X0,75 HELIOS-44M-4 `88 (pin modified)

Gustav plays to rise the sun (taken with K7, B&W JPG)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #33

I've own the father of all the Helios lenses - the 17 blades pre-war Biotar and it's the best portrait lens I've ever had! It produces some great swirly bokeh and tender colours.
06-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by catnapper89 Quote
I've own the father of all the Helios lenses - the 17 blades pre-war Biotar and it's the best portrait lens I've ever had! It produces some great swirly bokeh and tender colours.
Well, that sounds interesting, lets all see some shot from the father of all Helios

08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #35

Dear Steve,

Great article by the way, that even forced me to register to say "Great job!".

But there is a little question and a thought that I wanted to point out, hopefully we can share the knowledge.

1- Why the bokeh is not Swirl? I saw some of the Helios users have it Swirl, do you have any idea of that?

2- What did you mean by the lens needs ((requires minor surgery to convert to fully manual aperture)), how can that be helpful or what does that mean? I just want to understand since Im kinda new in this field.

BTW, I have Helios 44M-4

Thanks
08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by q8ieng Quote
Dear Steve,

Great article by the way, that even forced me to register to say "Great job!".

But there is a little question and a thought that I wanted to point out, hopefully we can share the knowledge.

1- Why the bokeh is not Swirl? I saw some of the Helios users have it Swirl, do you have any idea of that?

2- What did you mean by the lens needs ((requires minor surgery to convert to fully manual aperture)), how can that be helpful or what does that mean? I just want to understand since Im kinda new in this field.

BTW, I have Helios 44M-4

Thanks
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your answers:

1. Swirly bokeh may or may not be present even between copies of the same Helios 44 variant. It is even somewhat dependent on the nature of the background. I have heard a number of explanations for the swirls, the most likely being that they are caused by a minor misplacement of one or more internal elements and is characteristic of the original Biotar design.

2. In regards to "lens surgery"...Most M42 lenses have a switch or slider (the Auto/Manual switch) on the lens barrel that enables/disables the stop-down pin. In "auto" mode, the lens remains full open until the pin is depressed. In "manual" mode, the lens is always stopped down to the selected aperture. In order to use a M42 lens with most K-mount adapters, the aperture must be stopped down at exposure time. This is done by setting the switch to "manual". Your 44M-4 does not have the auto/manual switch and must be modified if you want to shoot at anything other than wide open. Here is a link with instructions on how to do the "surgery"...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57058-helios-4...onversion.html

Have fun!

Steve
08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another thing to consider is that the 44M-4 has six aperture blades instead of 8 or more that the 44, 44-2 , 44-3, and 44M had.