Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses for wedding

Need some advice from you experienced fellas on the choices of lenses to have on board for a wedding. I'm just starting out so want to get it right as much as I can first go.

I only have one digital camera body which I want to use primarily, but will take my manual film SLR body just in case it fails

I should be ready with backup batteries, memory cards and an OK flash (looking to upgrade soon) but of my AF lenses, I'm thinking to rely on just the DA 18-55 and FA 50/1.4.

Is lens changing a bother in a wedding? Wondering if I should also take my Sigma 70-300 as well? - not so good in low light - but don't have any other telephoto lenses.

Maybe later on I can afford some faster glass, and in this case what good zoom lenses are around at f/2.8 or so for a reasonable price?

05-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thread moved to the lens forum- remember that the suggestions section is only for matters related to the site. Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apologies

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Thread moved to the lens forum- remember that the suggestions section is only for matters related to the site. Thanks!
Sorry - didn't know where was most appropriate for this post. Cheers.
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #4

Hi Ash,

I started out much the same way, graduated from taking landscapes, was asked to do a wedding and things have gone on from there. Do date approx 13 weddings over a 2 year period and several more booked in. Nice little side job.

I started out with the istDs and the Sigma 18-125mm. I had the 2.8 28-105 & 100-300 from an MZ50 and it has proven to be quite handy at times. Although the past 3 weddings i've only used the 18-125. It covers pretty much all the range needed (for my style anyways).

I'm now using a k10D with the istDs as a back up. Still using the 18-125 the majority of the time as i'm saving my pennies for the DA* series. They are going to break the bank but they'll pay for them selves in the long run.

You can get by on the equipment you've got, but better quality and quantity of lenses etc will make your job so much easier.

Target a market that is reflective of your skills, experience & equipment. Don't get in over your head but by the same token don't sell yourself short. It is a very fickle industry. If you charge too little you won't be respected, if you charge too much there is a certain level of expectation you may not be able to meet.

Remember that not every shot you take will be brilliant. Always attend a rehersal whenever possible. Its very important to have your camera set to match the conditions. No second chances. If you're happy on the day, you'll have a happy bride and groom and that will show in the photos. Also, dont be afraid to take a little control, but definately don't dominate.

Finally, get a copy of Photshop and learn how to use it. It is a fantastic tool and will soon become your best friend. The stuff that is possible is amazing and your clients will love it.

If you enjoy what you do, you will do it well, if you do it well you will succeed.

Best of Luck.

switch79

05-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day switch79,

Thanks for your input, and I'm taking heed of all the little business tidbits you've offered. Much appreciated. I'm keeping things simple for now, with a fee that reflects that.

On Photoshop, I've got it - courtesy of my graphic designer wife. I'm getting into that more and more now.

Is the Sigma 18-125 fast enough for indoor/church shots? Do you use a powerful flash to complement it (360/540FGZ)? I'll look for that one around the place - but a student can't afford to have a massive LBA in Brisbane - prices are a little inflated here... Guess eek-Bay may have to do...

Thanks again mate.
05-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #6

I'm sure your wife is a whizz on photshop being a GD so that will help.

The Sigma 18-125 can be fast enough but its definately not the be-all and end-all of lenses. Its IQ is nice and produces great results in good light. For an outdoor wedding its great, indoors can be a challenge. I find that it produces better results than my Sigma 2.8 28-105 even when it is fully manual with aperture open ring and all. I think that church light will pose a challenge for any photographer with any lens.

If you could get hold of a more recent 2.8 with a good zoom lens i'd say it would definately help. (Bring on the DA* 16-50 & 50-135!!!!)

I try to avoid flash whenever possible, it can really kill a shot. When I have to I use my old Sigma EF 430-ST on my K10D with some good success and it can produce some really nice shots. This flash I used on my old film cameras (MZ50 & 60) and has done the job really well for me even on digital - but there is better and a flash with a fully rotatable head would be great. The onboard flash sucks.

Don't worry I've got a pretty huge LBA and a big wish list. You are right prices down here in oz are on the expensive side but dont be afraid to buy from o/s and ebay you can get some good stuff on too. Just keep an eye out.

Cheers
05-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Maybe later on I can afford some faster glass, and in this case what good zoom lenses are around at f/2.8 or so for a reasonable price?
The Tamron 28-75 should serve you nicely. It's not too expensive and is an excellent lens. Very sharp, focuses very quickly on the K100D and perhaps faster on the K10D, and is a delight to use.

It doesn't go very wide but is great in the "normal" to "moderate-telephoto" range a lot of your shots might fall in.

It works on a 35mm film body as well.
05-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 at a friends wedding, worked well for me. Good range and bright enough, also Sigma DG super flash..

I think even though I prefer primes, zoom is more convieniant for a wedding.. Also a bright zoom is helpfull as lighting is often not great, though a flash I think will also sometimes be needed (in my experience receptions can be VERY dark)..

Last edited by joele; 05-09-2007 at 12:25 AM.
05-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
but a student can't afford to have a massive LBA in Brisbane - prices are a little inflated here...
Only a little eh?
05-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #10

believe me, in Canada we get it just as bad.... especially when I know that I can get lots of lenses for pentax from the US for 2/3 the price
05-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find that your right about that feiron, but there's still the odd deal kicking around.
Plus once you get to know the owners of a store they might let you try the odd lens here and there before you buy

I was dealing across the line, but my local camera store is bringing me some good deals on some like new lenses