Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote

What are you after? One lens size/weight that all lenses should be? Variety is the spice of life.

Is the balance that much of an issue? Does it make your arms ache or something? (i'm not being offensive, i do really want to know).

mike
I don't want to dictate what they "should be," but rather am interested in other opinions and experiences. For me balance is a big issue. I will often walk with my camera in my right hand ready to shoot for extended periods. The way it sits in my hand is important to me. And when bringing it to the eye (again, one-handed), the way it balances makes a difference to me. Different lenses can demand different technique, but one reason I stay with Pentax is that my "big" lens (50-135) isn't that long or heavy and I can walk/shoot one-handed with it. What I thought is interesting was that I didn't really like the 21 (thought it was the FOV), and also have not been crazy about the 15. It has nothing to do with IQ, but rather with the way the body feels in my hand with the lens on it.

In the end humans can adapt to just about anything. But since I do much of my shooting for "art" it needs to be enjoyable or I won't take the Pentax (instead I'll make due with E-P1 or DLux4). When I need to shoot for work it isn't usually isn't an issue as I'm at a location where I've got bags or places to put thing. Though my last project I was driving/walking/driving/walking through the desert in 110F heat for about 3 hours. In that case, having gear that is relatively light and well balanced does make a difference.

07-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
if it ever happened, just say:
it's not the size, it's the performance that counts
Well that's well and good until she asks, "Where is it?"
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You guys must have huge hands... though I have to agree the M 40mm f/2.8 was absolutely rubbish to focus.
As to balance and shooting one-handed, try using a leather hand grip/hand strap and you'll immediately find your right hand is so much secure with pretty much any lens.
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had a problem or issue with any lens on any camera I've had, from FA50 to Sigma 70-200 with 2x TC, from istDs to K-7. It's difficult for me to empathise with people that say they have a problem, coz I just don't! Just lucky I guess.

07-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You guys must have huge hands... though I have to agree the M 40mm f/2.8 was absolutely rubbish to focus.
As to balance and shooting one-handed, try using a leather hand grip/hand strap and you'll immediately find your right hand is so much secure with pretty much any lens.
In defense of the M40 I think the lack of size more than makes up for it... If you use that lens it's very good at f/8 and you'll be using it at hyperfocal anyway.
07-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I find when it comes to lenses Big becoming to Big way more often then small becoming to small.

Pentax always had small primes .
and with Pentax I think too small is when in order to make the lens smaller it becomes slower

like with most DA lenses Vs FA lenses

20mm FA 2.8 very small lens , 21mm smaller but slower
same with 43 Vs 40 , 77 Vs 70 and so on. all very small lenses but the DA too small BC they are slower

that's the way I see it any way
Redpigeons

I agree with most of your points save the "always had small primes".

Pentax has not always had small primes but that is certainly the case since the K series was phased out in the mid/late 1970s or so. The Takumar and K series glass is anything but small or light for that matter. Much more metal was used and filter diameters were 52mm as a minimum as I recall. I suspect some of the "older" Pentax users such as myself lament the downsizing of Pentax since that time. Lowell has referred to this as the M disease.

Am I trashing the entire M series as a result? Not at all. As the M Club has demonstrated there are many very good M series lenses. I have several of them and use them often. As you note above all M series glass was smaller than their K series counterparts and several were slower such as the 85mm, 135mm, and 200mm to name a few.

Tom G
07-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if she laughs, its too small...

What a relief it is to know she's just been laughing at my small lens..... I was beginning to think it might be something else.
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
What a relief it is to know she's just been laughing at my small lens..... I was beginning to think it might be something else.
If you pay the girls on 42nd St enough they won't laugh.

Or so I hear.

07-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Redpigeons

The Takumar and K series glass is anything but small or light for that matter. Much more metal was used and filter diameters were 52mm as a minimum as I recall. I suspect some of the "older" Pentax users such as myself lament the downsizing of Pentax since that time.
Amen. I'm on the road currently to obtaining a set of those early K mount lenses.
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If you don't need tweezers to handle it, it's not too small.

07-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you pay the girls on 42nd St enough they won't laugh.

Or so I hear.
We should tread lightly with our tongue-in-cheek comments. Cross referencing previously misunderstood threads might put us in the rarefied atmosphere of perceived elitists by those few, if any, that are catching this.
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I compensate the small size by getting big lenses hehehhe
08-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #28
Pentaxian

cannon have been making their lenses twice the size of Pentax lenses for years and no-one noticed...a cannon 50mm f/1.4 is almost twice the size of a Pentax 50mm f/1.2
08-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
cannon have been making their lenses twice the size of Pentax lenses for years and no-one noticed...a cannon 50mm f/1.4 is almost twice the size of a Pentax 50mm f/1.2
But it is about the same size as the 55mm f/1.4
I think the USM motor takes a bit of space in the lens.
08-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have big hands and have found that anything smaller than a Pentax-M 50 is too small for me regardless of camera body. Pancakes...forget it! Gotta have something to hang on to.

Steve