Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first LBA post here at the forum: DA70

Hi All,

Been lucking around at the DPR Pentax forum mostly, here is the first LBA post at the forum.

Just got a DA70 a couple of days ago. What a nice little lens. It is prettier than the other two DA LE lenses imo (mostly due to its balanced size I think. The other two are just a tad too short, or thin, to my like). AF is fast and accurate, produce good (enough to me) photos.

Got a chance to snap some shots of my daughter today on the way to her school. All taken at F2.8, RAW converted.

The resized ones don't look as sharp as the original ones, even after some USM.

Anyway, I think I'd use this lens alot

Cheers!

05-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #2

Woah, great pictures. Your daughter is quite a model
05-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice Frank. Great shots from this little lens.

I love my 77mm.....would you say it's better han the 77? or just different. The one gripe I have with the 77, is it's a little slow on AF.
Cheers,
Scott.
05-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great lens and very cute daughter you have, Frank! Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

05-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Frank. Very nice photos. Da 70 is really a great lens and congrads with da 70.

Sure this autofocuses much faster than Fa 77
05-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Anyway, I think I'd use this lens alot

Cheers!
Hi Frank,

Wonderful job as always...that's a given

So you think you'll use this lens alot.... two points...

The first is that you seem to churn new lenses over pretty quickly so I'm skeptical

Secondly, since you have the 77 LTD what is it about this lens that justifies a place in your pantry of keepers. I'd really like to know how you find the two compare when used head to head.

Wonderful to watch your children growing up on the forums. Though mine are grown, as you know, they still have not figured out how to move out. It must be my bank account they are attached to.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 05-09-2007 at 05:50 AM. Reason: mod
05-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shots. I'v had my 77 ltd on back order since Dec 2006. If it does not come soon, maybe i can get out of the order and get a 70. Looks like a great lens

Dave

05-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

It's as usual Frank; great pictures! But it isn't really fair, do you think? Please send your daughter over and let me try my DA70. I need some practise!

regards,
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #9

My initial finding on this lens is: I was surprise that using this lens, all UE issue on my K100D is gone!
I know a lot of people complains about UE issue on their pentax dslr. I encounter (a lot and almost) this problem as well (DA 18-55, Sigma 17-70).

I do not know why the issue is gone when using this lens. Might be caused by a good chip implanted on it. Or might be it's a prime, less glass, so the effective ratio of light reaches the CCD is huge.

Anyone who also has this lens, could you clarify on this?

BR,
kyrios
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Woah, great pictures. Your daughter is quite a model
Thanks Glad you like these photos. She is a beautiful kid, but she doesn't like to look at the camera that much nowadays
05-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Very nice Frank. Great shots from this little lens.

I love my 77mm.....would you say it's better han the 77? or just different. The one gripe I have with the 77, is it's a little slow on AF.
Cheers,
Scott.
Thanks Scott.

It is better than the FA77 in some ways (smaller, faster AF, better hood, sharper at the same aperture - I only used wider apertures though). If speed isn't a must, I don't see any reason choosing one over the other. Both are excellent lenses.

For now, I'm in love w/ this little DA baby
05-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjask Quote
Great lens and very cute daughter you have, Frank! Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks I think I should post more photos here in the future. It's always my pleasure sharing some of my kids photos w/ you guys

Cheers!
05-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Frank. Very nice photos. Da 70 is really a great lens and congrads with da 70.

Sure this autofocuses much faster than Fa 77
Thanks AF is indeed abit faster than the FA77 (but the difference on K10D isn't that big I feel). It's amazing that Pentax could put so many good things into such a little lens.
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
Hi Frank,

Wonderful job as always...that's a given

So you think you'll use this lens alot.... two points...

The first is that you seem to churn new lenses over pretty quickly so I'm skeptical

Secondly, since you have the 77 LTD what is it about this lens that justifies a place in your pantry of keepers. I'd really like to know how you find the two compare when used head to head.

Wonderful to watch your children growing up on the forums. Though mine are grown, as you know, they still have not figured out how to move out. It must be my bank account they are attached to.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen

I like to play all those excellent Pentax lenses, but I'm not a collector, and I'm certainly not rich. Have to sell some lenses to fund others ... Luckily I've made some friends by doing this

I'm sure I won't keep both. For now, I'm in favor of the DA70 alot more.

And one thing for sure, you'd see my kids' photos again at the forum
05-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Nice shots. I'v had my 77 ltd on back order since Dec 2006. If it does not come soon, maybe i can get out of the order and get a 70. Looks like a great lens

Dave
Thanks Dave. You certainly are more patient than I am. I can't even wait for one month if I really want a lens.

Hope you'd get whatever you like to have real soon.