Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shane33 Quote
great shots guys
can i get honest opinion on this shot all i done was framed it do you think the lens is sharp enough straight out of camera shot

It's not coming up

Edit:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-sharing

Last edited by happyant; 08-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
08-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
Forum Member

http://shane33.smugmug.com/photos/609305515_CryTU-X3-1.jpg

should be ok anyone else see it
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #33
Forum Member

might have just been me, wasnt working in firefox but tried in IE and its showing

Looks nice and sharp, but exif is missing? what focal length and aperture did you use?

Last edited by happyant; 08-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #34
Forum Member

on the subject of this lens what camera bag do you guys use ive found getting this lens it dont fit in my small shoulder bag i know i got the carry tube case with the lens but ide rather all in one any recomendations for a bag and say 3 lens and body

08-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shane33 Quote
on the subject of this lens what camera bag do you guys use ive found getting this lens it dont fit in my small shoulder bag i know i got the carry tube case with the lens but ide rather all in one any recomendations for a bag and say 3 lens and body
When I bought this lens I also bought the Tamrac pro 12
Its a big bag that holds 2 cameras and lots of lenses and other bits and pieces.
It has lots of pockets and zips and dividers.....great value at $180 Australian bucks.
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #36
Forum Member

Camera: Pentax K20D
Exposure: 0.011 sec (1/90)
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 70 mm

full exif here sorry
Flickr: More detail about josh
08-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #37

Hi,

Just a question to the owners. When using the lens in manual mode, do you need to pull the clutch in to M on the lens and at the same time, switch to M on the camera body? I had the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and that was what I needed to do.

08-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simdavid Quote
Hi,

Just a question to the owners. When using the lens in manual mode, do you need to pull the clutch in to M on the lens and at the same time, switch to M on the camera body? I had the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and that was what I needed to do.
Yes you need to pull the clutch down to the manual position and then flick the camera to manual focus....easy enough to do.
08-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by jackbullet Quote
Yes you need to pull the clutch down to the manual position and then flick the camera to manual focus....easy enough to do.
Right, thanks for the reply.
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I took a few shots of a friends' baby with my 'Ruby' at 200mm wide open.
This is my favourite shot. I think the optics of this lens are pretty good.
I am sorry Ash has what appears to be a 'soft' copy of the lens because my copy seems to be pretty good at wide open 2.8.
Jack.
ps. this shot is raw and not post processed and not cropped.
2nd shot is 100% crop
Attached Images

Last edited by jackbullet; 08-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
08-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had the Tamron and now the Sigma. The Tamron's aperture linkage started to stick wide open. If it was every now and then I would have kept it, but it was quite frequent (once every 10 shots). Here are my impressions of both lenses outside the problem I had:

The Tamron has better IQ. Not saying the Sigma sucks, the Tammy's just crisper.

Focusing is kind of a wash. I think they're about the same, but the HSM focusing still throws me off a little. It's my first motorized lens and I put it in the same category as the first time I rode in a hybrid car and stopped at a stop sign... silence... eerie.

The build quality goes to the Sigma. They're both great, but the Sigma is more tank-like.

My pet peeves:
The hood for the Sigma has this cheap black velvet type coating (the same on my 17-70) and I absolutely hate it.... It's a scuff magnet.

The clutch system on the Tamron is a little strange. If you leave it engaged for MF, but have the camera still on AF, the camera's AF motor now has to turn the focusing ring and whatever else it's attached to inside the lens - in the end it slows the AF motor down.

On the Sigma, the ring does not turn during focusing. If you grab it and turn it, it will focus manually. I found it a little unnerving that the focus ring does not hard stop though the optics do, it just has more tension on it after you pass the focusing extremidities. It almost feels like your hurting something inside.

and finally... the tripod collar. Hands down it goes to the Sigma. I read about it, but didn't understand until I looked at it myself. It's thread-less and operates on a cam type system. Turn it half a turn, it's completely loose and vice versa. Pull the knob while loose and the thing comes off easy as pie. It seems like it would be impossible for it to ever fail.

Just my $.02