Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 or 16-45mm f/4

I haven't been keeping too up to date with the new lenses, but is there still no confirmed release date for the DA* 16-50mm lens? I know it's been pushed back a couple times. I don't know if I should pick up the 16-45 or wait for the 16-50. It'd be nice to have the constant f/2.8 though. I really want to pick up a high quality zoom and possibly get rid of my Sigma 24-135mm and/or 18-55. Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by Toshi; 05-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
05-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
I haven't been keeping too up to date with the new lenses, but is there still no confirmed release date for this lens? I know it's been pushed back a couple times. I don't know if I should pick up the 16-45 or wait for the 16-50. It'd be nice to have the constant f/2.8 though. I really want to pick up a high quality zoom and possibly get rid of my Sigma 24-135mm and/or 18-55. Thoughts? Opinions?
Haha I just took in my 24-135 into Gentec Intl. (The Canadian Sigma Distributor) and it looks to be like I'm going to be slapped in the wallet big time for ordering from Cameta Camera. The whole issue of it having from from the US. I might not go through with the repair. The guy there said probably $60 at least.

My aperture rings malfunctional so its basically an "FAJ" lens. The Sigma's good actually. Functions as a 36-202mm lens.

I did get some hands-on with the DA*16-50 at the Henrys Camera Show and the DA16-45. Sharpness..not noticeable difference. Personally, I'd get the DA16-45 maybe now with the rebate or when the price drops due to the release of the 16-50. 2.8 is nice but with double cam design (sealage problems?) and the current price tag, I'm not convinced.

The Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 EX sells for $299 at Cameta so...
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like the Sigma, it's a solid lens and I've had no problems with it on outings. No blanking LCD or anything. But if I were to get one of the zooms I mentioned, I probably wouldn't use the Sigma. I don't even use the 18-55 anymore - just used it once or twice outdoors until I got the Sigma.

I'm leaning towards the 16-45, especially with the price after rebate. But I also noticed a lot of complaints with CA. The DA* 16-50 is priced pretty high and unless it's exceptionally better, I guess the 16-45 would be the better bet. I was contemplating the Sigma as well for the constant f/2.8.

16-45 owners, convince me that it's a great lens and that I should buy it
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Doing more research, I'm being put off by the CA problems with the 16-45mm f/4. Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (which Cameta sells for $299)?

05-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #5

Doing more research, I'm being put off by the CA problems with the 16-45mm f/4. Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (which Cameta sells for $299)?
Hi Toshi,

Don't get the older version of the Sigma 18-50 F2.8, get the new version with the Macro, it's a much much better lens according to the lens reviews, it's a new release for the Pentax mount, I was trying for days to get one, I'll receive one tomorrow, so I can use it for the graduation party this Saturday and the black tie party next Saturday. By the way, it cost $420.00, it's not that much more than the older version, everyone says it's a keeper...... I'll see how good it is, I will find out more by tomorrow.

I suppose to get the Tamron new release 18-250 in a few days for my July travel use..... Just ordered it earlier today and was confirmed the last one. I'm excited, just want to share my "New release Lenses hunting" experiences with you...... I'm telling you, there are many many Pentax buyers out there, every time I found a new lens, while I turned in my order, it's sold , it happend 3 times in the last 10 days.
05-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

HI Toshi,
The stuff re CA's and the Pentax 16-45mm was started by a review on Photozone.de. I find it quite humourous how the 16-45mm which was lauded as a great lens only a few weeks ago by many is now seen as a villain -a title it certainly does not deserve.

It is quite a thorough review which shows the sharpness that this lens is capable of and the excellent resolution it provides. Till this review though there was very little talk of a problem with CA and they actually state in the review
"To be fair the CAs are of the less hostile blue-yellow type (rather than red-cyan). In sharp contrast to the wide end CAs are almost negligible at the 45mm setting."

Link here
Pentax SMC-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL - Photozone Review / Quick Test Report

This is what Photozone has to say about the sigma lens you are considering
" This is clearly the weakest characteristic of the AF 18-50mm f/2.8EX - CAs (red/blue color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are very high peaking in an average pixel width beyond 2 pixels @ 18mm. However, they're also quite strong occurrences throughout the rest of the range. CAs are quite easily correctable (e.g. via Raw Shooter Essentials or Photoshop ACR) but if you prefer straight JPEGs or don't want to bother with post-processing the issue will be quite noticeable in some scenes. Have a look at the enlarged sample portion (200%) to the RIGHT below.

It should also be mentioned that the lens exhibits also a fairly severe degree of purple fringing at large aperture settings which cannot be completely reduced during post processing. Unlike "normal" CAs purple fringing resembles diffuse halos which pollute into darker areas (see the image to the LEFT below). Stopping down helps to reduce fringing. "

Link here
Sigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Aspherical IF - Photozone Test Report / Review

Apparently the newer macro version is much improved in this area - but I don't know what the price difference would be.

All in all I think the 16-45mm is a very capable lens that achieves a lot for the price it is by no means perfect - there are some more expensive options that are better - comes down to your budget etc and what you photograph. If you do a lot of high contrast shots and use a lot of wide angle you will have some CA which you can post process very easily. If you are a pro for whom time is money - well in all honesty you should be spending the extra $$$ for a more pro level lens perhaps a Prime..
05-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have the 18-50 non macro. Go tit last week with a K10D. Loving it so far. Noisy autofocus but that's a PEntax thing anyway... I was thinking of the 16-50 2.8... but if noise is an issue occasionally you can manually focus... howver the extra 2mm at the wide end would be sweet indeed...

Th esigam is smaller but I think much heavier than the pentax lens... my k10dw eighs a ton now!

I heard the Sigma 18-50 non-macro was better than the new one by the way ... so i went for that one.. plus that's all they had in the shop and I'm impatient. I have a manual macro lens... don't hink I'll be doing much macro anyway..

05-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the informative input everyone. I'll make a final decision within the next week or so, but after looking at all the info, I might go for the 16-45mm f/4 after all.
05-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I ended up putting 2 lenses on eBay. Hopefully they'll sell and I can order the 16-45mm f/4 late next week. Deciding whether to go with Adorama or B&H.
05-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I haven't been keeping too up to date with the new lenses, but is there still no confirmed release date for the DA* 16-50mm lens? I know it's been pushed back a couple times. I don't know if I should pick up the 16-45 or wait for the 16-50. It'd be nice to have the constant f/2.8 though. I really want to pick up a high quality zoom and possibly get rid of my Sigma 24-135mm and/or 18-55. Thoughts? Opinions?
Wait for the 16-50. It has an extra stop and extra range.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.
05-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, the extra stop would be useful. The extra 5mm would be negligible IMO. Thinking about it, I think I'll wait until it releases and people have tested it out in the field. If there's a good noticeable difference in quality, I'll think of upgrading. I'll definately be waiting on the DA* telephoto/zooms though since I enjoy motorsport photography.
05-12-2007, 06:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

If you are not in a hurry, wait for the new 16-50mm.
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Regarding the DA* lenses are the prices quoted on the Pentax site (Order online store) correct?

Or will they be finalised at release time?
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The 16-45 is on my cam at least 50% of the time. The CA is not an issue.

Depends on what you want to be taking pictures of over the next several months while waiting for the next lens. The choice is all about opportunity costs. If you have the money now get it now and worry about the upgrade when the lens becomes available. Go to pbase and make an image search by lens type and survey the images to see if the CA would be an issue for you. The inherent sharpness of this lens is what does it for me.
05-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Regarding the DA* lenses are the prices quoted on the Pentax site (Order online store) correct?
Adorama has much better pricing in their pre-order price.