Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wide angle recommendation

Before the year is out, I want to obtain either a 20mm or 24mm KA mount lens. I'd prefer one with least amount of barrel distortion, even though I know you can fix it PP. I don't have a lot of time for post stuff, so I'd rather have it at a minimum in camera. I take it some of them my have the distortion minimized by using it on a DSLR. I will use this lens on both film and digital.

My candidates:

Pentax-A 20mm f2.8
Pentax-A 24mm f2.8
Pentax-FA 24mm f2
Pentax-FA 20mm f2.8

I like the 20mm because of it being wider on the DSLR, but if it comes at too much of a barrel distortion price, I may have to stay with 24mm. I don't want the DA21mm because of it's non-aperture ring and not being able to use it on film.

What does someone else think or anyone have any experience with some of these? Thanks, in advance.

07-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ziess 18mm f3.5

takumar/pentax 15mm f3.5

takumar 20mm f4.5

Pentax FA 20-35mm F4 (i think thats the lens..)
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have three 24mm lenses and really should sell two, but have a hard time deciding. The three are: Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 (MF version, KA), Kiron 24mm f2.0 and this one, a Vivitar 24mm f2.0 with KA mount:

The Kiron is just a K mount, so rule that out.

The Sigma is excellent except for maybe flare. There's a review here and I agree with the comments including mine. It's also available in AF, but for the prices I've seen, I might go for a new Sigma 24/1.8. I've used mine on film too, and I really like it.

This Vivitar is not very common at all. You might not find one. Its specs are easy to like. It's third in sharpness among my little group, though. I haven't used it much.
07-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Ziess 18mm f3.5

takumar/pentax 15mm f3.5

takumar 20mm f4.5

Pentax FA 20-35mm F4 (i think thats the lens..)
I think the 15mm will be a little too wide. Are the Zeiss and 20mm takumar KA? I already have a 19-35 zoom, but really wanted to switch to a prime.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have three 24mm lenses and really should sell two, but have a hard time deciding. The three are: Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 (MF version, KA), Kiron 24mm f2.0 and this one, a Vivitar 24mm f2.0 with KA mount:

The Kiron is just a K mount, so rule that out.

The Sigma is excellent except for maybe flare. There's a review here and I agree with the comments including mine. It's also available in AF, but for the prices I've seen, I might go for a new Sigma 24/1.8. I've used mine on film too, and I really like it.

This Vivitar is not very common at all. You might not find one. Its specs are easy to like. It's third in sharpness among my little group, though. I haven't used it much.
I forgot about Kiron. I do believe they made that in a KA mount, didn't they? If so, I would consider the 24mm Kiron if I could find one. What has the least distortion of the 3 you have?

07-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I think the 15mm will be a little too wide. Are the Zeiss and 20mm takumar KA? I already have a 19-35 zoom, but really wanted to switch to a prime.

I forgot about Kiron. I do believe they made that in a KA mount, didn't they? If so, I would consider the 24mm Kiron if I could find one. What has the least distortion of the 3 you have?
the Ziess comes in KA mount (and as far as i know will work in Av mode, changing apertures manually, obviously)

the Takumar is M42 only, but due to its nature, can also be used in Av mode without problems.
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

wider is better

if you are thinking about film only go for at least the 20mm out of your list. I always found 24 was never wide enough.

Are you strictly limited to primes?

Sigma make a 12-24 full frame zoom, although it will cost just a little.

others have already given you a list of some fine prime alternitives
07-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the Ziess comes in KA mount (and as far as i know will work in Av mode, changing apertures manually, obviously)

the Takumar is M42 only, but due to its nature, can also be used in Av mode without problems.
How's the distortion on the Zeiss? Also, anyone have any comment/experience with the other 4 on my list and their distortion?
Pentax-A 20mm f2.8
Pentax-A 24mm f2.8
Pentax-FA 24mm f2
Pentax-FA 20mm f2.8

I would like to stick to primes. I'm becoming anti-zoom lately. I also could use the excerise so I'd rather become the zoom function.
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if you can find FA20mm go for it!!
it an amazing lens! it was painful to find... and depends on how much you want it you might have to pay as much or more then the new 21mm LTD which supposed to be great by its own.

I do not regret thou, I love the 20mm , its my favorite lens for my needs and I have the 31mm and the 77mm. the 20mm is just as good definitely a classic Pentax.

why did they discontinued it?.. only god knows.
as with many silly decisions that pentax make.

but then again when you finally get the pentax gear that you want its always the best

07-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
if you can find FA20mm go for it!!
it an amazing lens!
+1

Cheers!

Abbazz
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The average price in the Lens index is $462. Is this was the FA 20 is still going around? Anyone know how it differs from the A 20? They both seem like the same 10 element, 9 group construction, but the FA has 6 blades and the A has 5. Some people in our lens review have mentioned the FA's distortion. I wonder if the A is better at that.
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have three 24mm lenses and really should sell two, but have a hard time deciding. The three are: Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 (MF version, KA), Kiron 24mm f2.0 and this one, a Vivitar 24mm f2.0 with KA mount:...................
Just got a Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF....
I was actually trolling for a 24mm f2, AF or MF and saw a good price for the AF version. I've got a Vivitar 24mm KA f2.8 also, but it's aperture ring only works on "A".

Dave- what's your impression of the Sigma vs the Viv 24mm K-A f2?
Ever since I read the 28mm Bestiary thread I've been bit with Vivitar LBA.

To the OP - how much barrel distortion are you willing to have in the lens? Soon as i get the lens I can take some "brick" shots to help you see how much barrel distortion it has - any type of shot/setup you care to see?
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will take some slight barrel distortion, obviously, but I'm looking to keep it to a minimum. Any low light shots you can provide would be appreciative. I think you two have different 24 Vivitars. Yours is f2.8 and his is f2 RL Edition (whatever that means). Is your 2.8 multicoated?
07-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

I know there has been a few suggestions already, I'd just like to say that Sigma 24/2.8 is pretty decent option. I have the AF version and I'm pretty happy with it and if you take into account that I paid 69 for it (compared to FA*24/2 around 450, A24/2.8 around 70 but no AF - don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Pentax but without split screen in APSC VF I don't dare to MF 24mm lens on f2.8) it's pretty hard to beat.

BR
Peter