Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lenses

Hello All... I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I have a Pentax k1000. I am looking for a large zoom and I came across a Pentax A 80-200 f4.7-5.
for a good price. Would this lense fit onto my k1000? And if not, what should I be looking for? Thank you everyone. I am still learning, however i love it!

07-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It fits, but of course it is not an autofocu lens. The standard budget autofocus telephoto zooms choices are the DA50-200, DA55-300, and the Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300. If you browse/search this forum you'll find quite a few existing discussions of these lenses and the tradeoffs betwene them. mostly coming down to, the 55-300 is the best, and that's hy it costs a bit more.
07-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Marc:
OP wrote - I have Pentax k1000 ....
I think that renders all AF lenses MF only, or no?

@OP:
any K mount lens will fit on K1000, but if I'm right that body doesn't support A mode. That means you'll have to use the the apreture ring on the lens. so even M lens would do for you. But if you can get A one, why not. At least it'll be more usable on newer bodies.

BR
Peter
07-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

the lens youo have found will work on the K1000, it is hard to get a good idea on price, but you can check on E-Bay, or in the market place, etc to see the typical asking price.

You may also want to consider one of the vivitar Series 1, 70-210mm Zooms, typically they can be had for a very low price and are very good.

07-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
@Marc:
OP wrote - I have Pentax k1000 ....
I think that renders all AF lenses MF only, or no?
Doh! It was late; I read that last "0" as a "D".

QuoteQuote:
any K mount lens will fit on K1000, but if I'm right that body doesn't support A mode. That means you'll have to use the the apreture ring on the lens. so even M lens would do for you. But if you can get A one, why not. At least it'll be more usable on newer bodies.
Correct; no "A" position support of any kind with the K1000. And the DA lenses have no aperture rings and don't usually cover 35mm film, so they are out. The only knocks against using "A" lenses would be that that they tend to be more expensive, but could be worth it if you get a more modern body (film or digital) at some point, and they'll also have better resale value, of course. I would avoid the A50/1.7 on a camera that cannot use the lens in "A" position in any case, because it seems to have some real issues with its aperture ring.
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Pentax-A 80-200mm f4.7-5.6 is a later A model. It looks like an FA lens and uses a lot of plastic. It will work on your K1000. (Almost every K-mount lens will, except for the Pentax DA and FA-J series, and third-party lenses meant for digital-only use.) A couple of years ago, someone was selling these new on eBay for $60 BIN. I got one for $10 and gave it to my brother.

The lens isn't the best choice you could find. Optically it's just average, and may be tough to focus in low light. For a K1000, you can take advantage of the total lack of automation and buy lenses with no features but good optics. Lowell mentioned the Vivitar, that's a better alternative. Look for either f3.5 version, probably the fastest option you'll find. There is a Kiron 70-210 f4 Macro Zoomlock lens that's pretty good. The Pentax-M 80-200mm f4.5 is really good too. If you ever plan to go to a digital SLR, it's worth investing in a Pentax-A 70-210 f4. You'll pay a bit more for the A feature but on digital it's worth it.
07-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! You are all so helpful