Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought I had made a bad deal...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Forgetting that there would probably be a customs fee added to the price of the auction and shipping. The customs fee was higher than what I paid for my K 50mm 1.4 including shipping a couple of years ago!

I took a chance and ordered a lens from overseas with only a blurry image and the sellers description to judge the price. It was a "sold as is" "no guarantee" auction. Already grumpy about having spent more money than I had meant to spend, as I was driving home from the customs office I was getting more and more anxious, what if the lens didn't work!

When I got home I quickly but gently opened the packet, removed the paper padding and found a lens case. Well, I thought, at least I got a lens and not a brick. I opened the lens case and pull out a near mint condition Pentax K 50mm 1:1.2 All my worries were gone! Lens elements perfect condition, perfectly smooth focus, snappy, indeed very snappy, aperture blades, and not even any brassing on the barrel! On top of it all the lens has the half stop between 1.2 and 2 that I have been missing between 1.4 an 2 on the K50/1.4!

I am one happy guy right now Have to go to work now but when I get home I'll head out and test the lens on my camera.

PS. no pictures, sorry. Will upload as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera.

07-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hmmm....I think you made a bad deal. send the lens to me so that I could evaluate it further.
07-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations! That lens seems to be an amazing design... Pentax should rep[ackage it as D-FA limited and resell it
07-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #4

so to rub it in ... just how much did you pay for that gem?

07-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Auction ended at about 230 USD. Now THAT would have made a heck of a deal if it had been all the costs, sadly there was still shipping to be paid and that "#¤"#¤" customs fee... all in all it landed on about 360 USD. Which seems to be a quite normal price for the lens.

But then again Pentaxor pointed out that it could still be a bad deal so I better send it of to him/her for further investigation

@ Andi Lo: Do you know if this is on of the lenses produced as a result of the Carl Zeiss Pentax collaboration? I would guess it is not but I'm not sure. I know of two that are reportedly co-designs, the K28/2 and the K15/3.5.
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats on the deal.
360USD? Still sounds like somewhere between 2/3s or half of what I'd have to pay for it in UK.
Arghhhhh...
enjoy it

BR
Peter
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Auction ended at about 230 USD. Now THAT would have made a heck of a deal if it had been all the costs, sadly there was still shipping to be paid and that "#¤"#¤" customs fee... all in all it landed on about 360 USD. Which seems to be a quite normal price for the lens.

But then again Pentaxor pointed out that it could still be a bad deal so I better send it of to him/her for further investigation

@ Andi Lo: Do you know if this is on of the lenses produced as a result of the Carl Zeiss Pentax collaboration? I would guess it is not but I'm not sure. I know of two that are reportedly co-designs, the K28/2 and the K15/3.5.
. that's my way of saying that you got a good deal !!! enjoy your new lens.

I hope it is the lens that is taking this picture and not the lens taken in this picture.

07-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh it's the one taking the picture all right. Had two copies of the one in the picture also and didn't like them much...

Took a few shots today, will have to wait until I finish the roll to see the results but I can say that the viewfinder is almost blindingly bright, and the DOF! oh the DOF!!
07-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great buy, I see you have completed the "K series" prime trilogy!! Nice work and welcome to an elite club!

After you use your K50/1.2 for awhile let us know how you rank the three K series primes.
(K50/1.2, K50/1.4 & K55/1.8)

Phil.

PS I have not heard that the 50/1.2 was a co-design with Carl Zeiss.
07-31-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great buy, I see you have completed the "K series" prime trilogy!! Nice work and welcome to an elite club!

After you use your K50/1.2 for awhile let us know how you rank the three K series primes.
(K50/1.2, K50/1.4 & K55/1.8)

Phil.

PS I have not heard that the 50/1.2 was a co-design with Carl Zeiss.
Yes, but I don't know if we are to count it as a trilogy or quartet taking in to account that the 55mm f/2 is the same design as the 1.8 but just re-labelled.

I was actually thinking of doing a little comparison of the 1.4 and 1.2 using my friends K20D today. Nothing to extensive, just some shots at different apertures. While we're at it I though we might also compare her Zenitar 16mm to my Sigma 16mm. This is going to be an interesting evening.

I also have not heard that the 1.2 would be a co-design with Carl Zeiss but it fits in that pocket of exclusive lenses that could be. Though, as I have said, I do not think it is.
07-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
congrats on the deal.
360USD? Still sounds like somewhere between 2/3s or half of what I'd have to pay for it in UK.
Arghhhhh...
enjoy it

BR
Peter

There was one on Ebay a couple of nights ago for £160 with free postage.
I thought about it for too long and it went quicker than I could make my mind up
07-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Yes, but I don't know if we are to count it as a trilogy or quartet taking in to account that the 55mm f/2 is the same design as the 1.8 but just re-labelled.

I was actually thinking of doing a little comparison of the 1.4 and 1.2 using my friends K20D today. Nothing to extensive, just some shots at different apertures. While we're at it I though we might also compare her Zenitar 16mm to my Sigma 16mm. This is going to be an interesting evening.

I also have not heard that the 1.2 would be a co-design with Carl Zeiss but it fits in that pocket of exclusive lenses that could be. Though, as I have said, I do not think it is.
No we don’t count the K55/2 in our club!! It was released after the other three and as you said just a re-labeled K55/1.8 available only with a K1000.
07-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
congrats on the deal.
Arghhhhh...
enjoy it

BR
Peter
Here's one in London for GBP 189.75 if you're really interested!
SMC PENTAX K 50mm 50 f1.2 FAST PRIME f/1.2 K10D K20D* on eBay.ca (item 320404526482 end time 31-Jul-09 18:11:56 EDT)
07-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i recently bought this lense for 180 dollars in mint conditions. It was in so good shape that if put it with new it would be difficult to tell.

anyway i already had one but bought one more because never seen it selling so low.
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so this thing is pure magic...

First roll just dried, quick scan.

Wide open...