Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dusty 50mm lens ??

Hello all. I was bidding on an A 50/1.4, but now the seller says the lens has some dust and has closed bidding. I have the option of winning the lens for US$62. or retracting my bid.
My first thought was the seller saw the lens would probably go cheap and is trying to weasel out.
It is possible he's just being honest or just doesn't know a little dust is normal and doesn't matter.
Here's a link to the ebay page:
dusty lens

Any thoughts?

tia

07-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

There is some dust in many lenses and most does not affect picture quality. You can also always get the lens cleaned. Eric will do it for you.
07-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, which is why I went ahead and paid for it. I'm still a little suspicious, but hopefully I got an especially nice price on a very good lens.

cheers
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I think you did, the lens looks great otherwise. Good buy, enjoy!

08-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, got the lens and the internal dust is not an issue. It's sharp, great color and contrast, v. good bokeh...but the focus ring is loose and a little uneven in use.
If you turn the lens end to end you can here it move. I thought there was a loose element at first, but then managed to isolate the noise.
Otherwise the lens is near mint with no wear or damage at all.

I remember a discussion here of "tightening" lenses...aren't there screws under the rubber grip on the focus ring?
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I have the lens someone is asking about, I sometimes check to see if the advice I will give actually works. I was surprised to discover that my advice would have been totally wrong for this lens. I unscrewed the beveled trim ring in front, where the lens name would be on the Pentax-M lenses, and the front element came out. That was unexpected. I took the rubber grip off, and there are three plastic plugs where screws might be. There's a single tiny grub screw on the barrel that extends when you focus. I have no idea what that is for. Sorry, I'm stumped here.
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for checking. I've got the tools and the workbench, fairly good technician, but I haven't ever done a lens and am a little hesitant. The local shop said they'd do it for $30. Which would bring the total cost of the lens to $92. That's still less than the current going price, so I may go that route.

more later
08-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to follow up on this...it turns out the repair cost was $55. The Tech said the internal bearings were dry and had to be cleaned and repacked as well as it needed general CLA.
So my total cost is $117, still not a bad deal. The best part is the lens is absolutely spotless and performs beautifly. It's already assumed a permanent spot in my daily kit and I plan to take it wherever I go.

08-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh yeah, and I just "won" a vintage Pentax metal hood for @$15 which is going to look uber cool on this lens. If it looks as good as I hope, I'll post a pic in the A Club thread.