Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Aneopa

Canon Fd in k mount, is possible?

Hi anyone know if is possible use a Canon Fd lens in K mount?

Theres any adapter for that?

Canon fd are really inexpensive nowadays and have a good optical.

05-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Let me know please

I'm in the same situation. I have a wonderful 400mm Canon FD but it wont fit my new Pentax K10d. If you find out please email me at:

vegaphotoworks@gmail.com

Thank You
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
DAP

The register distance is smaller on the canon than the pentax so you would lose infinity focus unless you made/found an adapter with a correction lens in it. As far as I know there is no adapter currently being made on the market........so, no it can't be easily done.
05-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nope, not possible unless you have an adapter that uses optical elements to correct the focal distances.

The Canon FD mount registers at 42mm while the K-Mount is at 45.46mm. You will lost much of the longer focal distances as well as infinity focus. The reason why lenses like FD mount are so cheap is that nobody supports them anymore. Canon dumped the system for a bayonet mount (EF) when autofocus came into play. Unless you shoot canon film manual..theres no future for these lenses.

Btw, old smc pentax/ takumar screwmount glass easily trumps canon.

05-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Vegaphotoworks, it probably wouldn't work with your 400mm because of the already mentioned register difference. This may not matter however. Do you always use the 400 at infinity? If not it would be possible. Does your 400 have a lot of focus past infinity. Most longer telephotos do. If so you might be able to squeak by. Try putting the 400 up to your tripod mounted Pentax and see if it will focus to infinity. Many lenses also have adjustments (internal) that can be made to "shorten or lengthen" the focus distance. A repair man may be able to do this for you. I recently had to adjust my 400 Pentax for infinity focus on my Pentax body (it was slightly off). Hama does make a Canon FD to EOS adapter. It has optical elements in it. Might be adapted to fit Pentax instead - if you are handy with that sort of thing.
thanks
barondla
05-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Aneopa

Thank you all for the help. Where can i found this informations aboute the lens registers? I already did a google search by lens register and didint have any positive resiults.

If the register of a lens is the same of a K lens they may be used? I mean, if a minolta lens have the same register of a K lens, Can I, changing the rear by a adapter or by switching with a brokken k lens, use the minolta?

Thx
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Nope, not possible unless you have an adapter that uses optical elements to correct the focal distances.

The Canon FD mount registers at 42mm while the K-Mount is at 45.46mm. You will lost much of the longer focal distances as well as infinity focus. The reason why lenses like FD mount are so cheap is that nobody supports them anymore. Canon dumped the system for a bayonet mount (EF) when autofocus came into play. Unless you shoot canon film manual..theres no future for these lenses.

Btw, old smc pentax/ takumar screwmount glass easily trumps canon.
So to use a Canon FD lens on a Pentax body you simply need to remove 3.46mm and epoxy a k-mount adapter in place? What if a fella removes the big FD collar ? How many millimeters is that?

I'd like to convert Canon FD to K-mount
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aneopa Quote
Where can i found this informations aboute the lens registers?
Registration diatance is also refered to as flange focal distance. Flange focal distances for most mounts can be found here:
Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia