Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax A 50mm f 1.7 with fungus value

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Pentax A 50mm f 1.7 that has some fungus. It does not affect the pictures. The lens is almost mint condition on the outside and there are no scratchs on the glass.

What would this lens be worth to sell?

08-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll say $20.

Buying a lens with fungus is like getting a TV or furniture "with no money down and no payments until 2010!" No problems right now, but wait long enough and there will be trouble. Unlike a scratch or mechanical issue, your buyer is either going to have to fix it themselves, have it fixed or pass on a worse problem. Since professional repair is going to cost as much as a decent fungus-free lens, that limits your buyer pool to people confident they can fix it themselves. EBay might bring a higher price because more people will see it.
08-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay thanks for the info.
08-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Reading all of these fungus stuff scares me, is it easy to get fungus infection on your lens?

08-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I have a Pentax A 50mm f 1.7 that has some fungus. It does not affect the pictures. The lens is almost mint condition on the outside and there are no scratchs on the glass.

What would this lens be worth to sell?
It has no value, and the potential to be a tremendous liability. I'd chuck it in the garbage and be rid of it.
08-03-2009, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

You can post it on ebay, start from 1 dollar, and let the market decide its value

Or just use it well, and get the best out of it, probably worth more than what you can get from selling it.
08-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Reading all of these fungus stuff scares me, is it easy to get fungus infection on your lens?
A lot depends on your location. I had more trouble with it in Hawai'i than Colorado. The old leather cases that lenses used to come in seem to create the perfect fungus environment. It's like the flu - you can take some preventative measures, some are more vulnerable, but it might just happen anyway.

08-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
You can post it on ebay, start from 1 dollar, and let the market decide its value

Or just use it well, and get the best out of it, probably worth more than what you can get from selling it.
That reminds me of an experience a couple years ago. Went to a local shop to check out an A 24mm f2.8 they had listed under a hundred bucks. Upon my review, some fungus was found. They said we should just throw it away then, of course my reply was can I have it?!

Walked out with it, tried it out for awhile, fungus didn't affect images at all. Didn't really have a need for it, listed on ebay fully disclosed for $220 OBO, sold the same day for full asking price to a nice guy in Australia.

So yeah, ebay it and let the market decide.
08-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Don't be scared. No seriously, don't.

The spores are everywhere, and most likely there were some in the Pentax factory where your lenses were made. The problem is not fungus spores but moisture. The fungus needs moisture to grow. If you keep your lenses dry, and store them so that there is free flow of air, then you'll be OK.

The only lens I have that has fungus is 45 years old and in mint condition. It looks like it was used once, then put in the Asahi Takumar leather case and left there for 45 years before I bought it. Consequently it got a little bit of fungus:

Fungus needs some nutrients, which it typically gets from the cement joining groups of lenses. In my case, this was not the case, so a good clean with methanol removed the stuff. However, I did have to remove the front element to get at the fungus (which took me a while), but it turned out to be quite easy once I had found out how.

So the message is: keep your lenses dry. But don't be scared of fungus, the people who freak out about a lens with fungus are being silly.

To the OP: the A50/1.7 is a great lens. If the fungus does not affect the images (and I doubt if it could) then the lens will still be great. So keep it and use it. If you want to sell it make sure that you describe carefully that it has fungus, and take some photos (use it as a macro project and a learning experience). I wouldn't be surprised if you'll get more than half the money of a lens withiout fungus, if the lens is in otherwise good condition. If the fungus is accessible, then why not try cleaning the lens?

Richard
08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That reminds me of an experience a couple years ago. Went to a local shop to check out an A 24mm f2.8 they had listed under a hundred bucks. Upon my review, some fungus was found. They said we should just throw it away then, of course my reply was can I have it?!

Walked out with it, tried it out for awhile, fungus didn't affect images at all. Didn't really have a need for it, listed on ebay fully disclosed for $220 OBO, sold the same day for full asking price to a nice guy in Australia.

So yeah, ebay it and let the market decide.
Don't get your hopes up listing the A50 1.7 on eekbay though. The market for an A24mm is different than the one for the A50 1.7
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'll pay you 20USD right now for it! haha
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have actually already made a trade with someone on the site. Thanks for all of the input.
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I have actually already made a trade with someone on the site. Thanks for all of the input.
Guess some guys don't really mind lenses w/ some fungus:

Pentax M SMC 50mm F1.4 + 24mm F2.8 Manual Focus AS IS ! - eBay (item 270437464589 end time Aug-09-09 19:33:19 PDT)
08-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Yeah, I guess not! I watched that auction and passed. I'm kind of surprised they went for that much. Looking at the last pic it seemed to me to be the type of fungus that leaves etchings in the coatings. Nasty.

I don't mind that nice fluffy spiderweb type of fungi but that fractal looking stuff is much more insidious and evil in my experience.

Also, on that auction the 24mm which of course, is the more valuable of the two had the fungus right into the center of the element.

That lot IMO was "well sold" and "poorly bought".

Regards,
Mike
08-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Yeah, I guess not! I watched that auction and passed. I'm kind of surprised they went for that much. Looking at the last pic it seemed to me to be the type of fungus that leaves etchings in the coatings. Nasty.

I don't mind that nice fluffy spiderweb type of fungi but that fractal looking stuff is much more insidious and evil in my experience.

Also, on that auction the 24mm which of course, is the more valuable of the two had the fungus right into the center of the element.

That lot IMO was "well sold" and "poorly bought".

Regards,
Mike
I thought that twin could only sell for like $50usd at most. Didn't expect the final price went for so high...

Oh well, just like I said, some guys don't care about fungus as much as many here do