Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My first Pre-set Takumar

After a bad luck streak, just missing out on 3 lenses here in the Marketplace forum, & purchasing a lens riddled with fungus (received a full refund with no problems, thank goodness), I finally had a bit of luck yesterday evening & snagged my first Pre set Takumar (200mm f:5.6) in supposedly mint condition off of Ebay for $24. I was the lone bidder. I'd been mulling over purchasing a Pre-set for quite a while, as it would seem to suit my shooting style well. I shoot almost exclusively with manual prime Pentax lenses (early P/K mount & M42s). Consequently, the rapid "stepless focus to shooting aperture" action of the Pre-set lenses should work out well for me. If so, I might look to purchasing more of these in the near future.
P.S. - I also had a bit of non-Pentax related luck yesterday by purchasing a NIB sealed Canon Powereshot S70, a backup for the same camera I use as a walkaround pouch camera when taking my DSLR isn't practical. I purchased it locally from a guy who received it as a present 5 years ago & stuck it in his closet, never to be opened. For those not familiar with this particular model, it's unusual for such a compact camera, having full manual control, 28mm f:2.8 at it's short end, & RAW capability (it's 7 megapixel sensor is plenty for me). It was their TOTL compact camera at the time, selling for a street price of about $600..... I paid $80..... You win some, you lose some.

08-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
After a bad luck streak, just missing out on 3 lenses here in the Marketplace forum, & purchasing a lens riddled with fungus (received a full refund with no problems, thank goodness), I finally had a bit of luck yesterday evening & snagged my first Pre set Takumar (200mm f:5.6) in supposedly mint condition off of Ebay for $24. I was the lone bidder. I'd been mulling over purchasing a Pre-set for quite a while, as it would seem to suit my shooting style well. I shoot almost exclusively with manual prime Pentax lenses (early P/K mount & M42s). Consequently, the rapid "stepless focus to shooting aperture" action of the Pre-set lenses should work out well for me. If so, I might look to purchasing more of these in the near future.
P.S. - I also had a bit of non-Pentax related luck yesterday by purchasing a NIB sealed Canon Powereshot S70, a backup for the same camera I use as a walkaround pouch camera when taking my DSLR isn't practical. I purchased it locally from a guy who received it as a present 5 years ago & stuck it in his closet, never to be opened. For those not familiar with this particular model, it's unusual for such a compact camera, having full manual control, 28mm f:2.8 at it's short end, & RAW capability (it's 7 megapixel sensor is plenty for me). It was their TOTL compact camera at the time, selling for a street price of about $600..... I paid $80..... You win some, you lose some.
I have several preset lenses and I love them. very easy to use. my first preset was also a telephoto (Takumar 300mm 6.3) my macro-takumar is my favourite though. a preset is incredibly handy for macro work (for which this lens is outstanding) so I have also been looking for more preset Takumars.
08-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Igilligan

Love my pre-sets

I look forward to the pics....
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I look forward to the pics....
you would love the helios preset or not.

08-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've a tele-Takumar f 6.3/300 pre-set I acquired years ago in a package deal. It shows a moderate amount of brassing from honest use, some internal dust, the barrel's a little loose and has a slight rattle when shaken. I'd always meant to clean and re-build it but just never got around to it even though this one's relatively easy. Mounted on a SP it seems to focus OK although it may need an infinity adjustment.

Yours for the price of shipping if you're interested. If not, the offer stands for anyone else. PM's accepted.

H2
------------------------------------------
PM replied / promised to Nik.

Just out of curiosity, I shot this today before packing it for shipping: F8 - 1/500 ISO 400 K100DS (~150 feet). I've seen a LOT worse from "modern" tele's.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 08-04-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Add img
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I've a tele-Takumar f 6.3/300 pre-set I acquired years ago in a package deal. It shows a moderate amount of brassing from honest use, some internal dust, the barrel's a little loose and has a slight rattle when shaken. I'd always meant to clean and re-build it but just never got around to it even though this one's relatively easy. Mounted on a SP it seems to focus OK although it may need an infinity adjustment.

Yours for the price of shipping if you're interested. If not, the offer stands for anyone else. PM's accepted.

H2
you do know that the front element can be removed yes? it unscrews from the barrel and allows direct access to the aperture blades. is this what is loose?
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you do know that the front element can be removed yes? it unscrews from the barrel and allows direct access to the aperture blades. is this what is loose?
Nope -- been there, done that checkin' dust. H2
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the best parts about that Tele-Takumar you have is it's size! Since it's pretty slow, that allowed it to be really compact. It's the size of most 135mm lenses. A very discrete 200mm piece.

Regards,
Mike

08-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
One of the best parts about that Tele-Takumar you have is it's size! Since it's pretty slow, that allowed it to be really compact. It's the size of most 135mm lenses. A very discrete 200mm piece.

Regards,
Mike
I was stunned at not only the small size, but the lightweight of my 300 6.3. compared to my Super-Takumar Zoom, its a flyweight.
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 200 5.6 Tele Takumar is very sharp as well, though obviously slow. Congratulations, that's a good price.
08-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Igilligan

you would love the helios preset or not.
Actually... dont tell anyone but I like the non-preset Helios more that the Preset!
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my macro-takumar is my favourite though. a preset is incredibly handy for macro work (for which this lens is outstanding)
I have my eye on this one also. I have the SMC M42 version (1:2), but I understand the preset is 1:1...... nice.
08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I have my eye on this one also. I have the SMC M42 version (1:2), but the preset is 1:1...... nice.
VERY nice. and I got mine basically brand new in box. I love the colourful markings for exposure factor calibration, despite them being useless on my digital. and of course its so ridiculously sharp its unreal. its got to be one of the sharpest lenses ever produced. period.
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

... I love the colourful markings for exposure factor calibration, despite them being useless on my digital. .
I also have this lens, but never worked out those "colourful markings for exposure factor calibration". Can you explain how they work on film?
Thanks,
08-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I also have this lens, but never worked out those "colourful markings for exposure factor calibration". Can you explain how they work on film?
Thanks,
I cant explain it because im not sure I really understand it. here make of this what you will. sorry for the bad photo, I will have to do a proper scan some day.