Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ktwse Quote
Tony,

I'd say the K-7 is fairly similar to the D90 in AF performance. My only issue with it is that the two outermost (non-cross type) AF points have a hard time locking on low contrast and/or low light subjects, apart from that I think it performs very well.

This is my first Pentax, so I can't compare to older K models, but I come from Nikon (and Olympus) and I'd say the K-7 stands up quite well in comparison.

Thomas
did you use center point or 11 point focusing?

08-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
My other concern is that D90's 3D tracking would be something I miss and does K-7 has a viewfinder indication of AF point?
I don't think you'll miss the 3D tracking much, the D90 version is crippled compared to that of the D300/D700/D3 which all have 15 cross-type AF points. These cameras are also much faster than the K-7 in my experience, but of course it comes at a price (literally price, not to mention size).

It doesn't have the selected AF point constantly highlighted, but as you choose it indicates which is chosen, and if you engage AF (shutter half press or AF button), the selected AF point will light up as the camera is focusing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
did you use center point or 11 point focusing?
I've used both on both cameras. Not much difference either way. Both seem to have a really accurate center AF point, good performance with auto selection, and average outer AF points.

Thomas
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi ktwse,

Great to know. Got to test mine. Can't wait!

Tony
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ktwse Quote
I don't think you'll miss the 3D tracking much, the D90 version is crippled compared to that of the D300/D700/D3 which all have 15 cross-type AF points. These cameras are also much faster than the K-7 in my experience, but of course it comes at a price (literally price, not to mention size).

It doesn't have the selected AF point constantly highlighted, but as you choose it indicates which is chosen, and if you engage AF (shutter half press or AF button), the selected AF point will light up as the camera is focusing.

I've used both on both cameras. Not much difference either way. Both seem to have a really accurate center AF point, good performance with auto selection, and average outer AF points.

Thomas

center point is really accurate, but in my experience, I seem to focus faster in lowlight when using auto selection, though not as accurate or as great as center-point but helps in focusing faster.