Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

In agreement with what has already been said: if you are adverse to using flash then a constant aperture is a must. I find the 17-70 to be THE perfect travel lens with a very versatile zoom range. However, when lighting is poor and getting the shot is critical then I would go with either the aforementioned Tamron 28-75 or Sigma 24-70. I think for now the kit lens will suffice on the wide end as you really only need it for the group/family shots and after that for everything else, you pretty much want to remain as unobtrusive as possible. This is where you'll be wanting the extra reach of a 70mm or 75mm long end.

That being said, I think in the long run if you want to be taking pictures seriously you should start becoming more comfortable with using flash. By that I don't mean sticking a flash gun on top of your camera and shooting straight at people but making your flash look as if it is natural light. I found this to be a pretty helpful resource:

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/

Also consider a fast 50 for those REALLY dim/intimate situations (ie. first dance)

08-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #32

Original Poster
Well I have been testing it out outside and I have to agree with you guys, unless I have my flash on, the results are not great in low light!! And I do have the feeling I might enjoy shooting weddings more and I will have to get that good lens for that.
I will just use my 18-55 for large groups and try and trade this for the 24-70 or 28-75.
Thank you for all of your feedback. You guys are most helpful!
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #33

Original Poster
Found this used one on Adorama, but again, I can't tell if it'll go on a Pentax. Plus it does not have a picture. That is always kind of suspicious to me!
AF09C700 Tamron 28-75 2.8 Xr Di Ld-if F/eos
08-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creoleart Quote
Found this used one on Adorama, but again, I can't tell if it'll go on a Pentax. Plus it does not have a picture. That is always kind of suspicious to me!
AF09C700 Tamron 28-75 2.8 Xr Di Ld-if F/eos
That's Canon version, it's the EOS mount.

08-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #35
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by creoleart Quote

The wedding I am shooting is going to be outdoors, not too much shade, so I think the 17-70 would do okay for that one as there are not a lot of indoors shots, but if I keep shooting weddings I will not always be outdoors so I would need something like the 28-75. And I absolutely LOVE my 50 and will probably use it most of the time. I just wanted something for large group shots and a wider angle than the 50 for some bride and groom shots with a little bit more of scenery in the background.
Not too much shade isn't necessarily going to be your friend. There is plenty of potential for blown out skies and underexposed subjects. That means unhappy married couple and pissed of mothers. Make sure you check out the venue first and make sure where the sun is going to be. Take a couple of friends with you if you can and try some practice shots.
08-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
More research needed before purchase!

I way prefer my 17-70 Sigma, mainly because of the extra reach. And overall the Sigma is still faster at every aperture. It is widely regarded as an exceelent lens.

Maybe just sell your 18-55. Unfortunately you are right, we can't have it all!
I am quite happy with my SIgma 17-70 and didn't even buy the 18-55.

It is good, do not know the PEntax version!
08-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A wide angle will definitely be needed for the more expansive shots i.e. groups etc and I certainly don't see why you can't use the 18-55

A picture speaks more than a thousand words so;

Shot with the 18-55 and use of fill flash on an overcast day

another with the 18-55

So if you feel you can't get winner shots from this lens - I don't know what to say

Dyl
08-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #38

Original Poster
Okay Dylan, no need to say more!!!!!!!!!! Wow! That says it all!! THANKS!!!

08-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Not too much shade isn't necessarily going to be your friend. There is plenty of potential for blown out skies and underexposed subjects. That means unhappy married couple and pissed of mothers. Make sure you check out the venue first and make sure where the sun is going to be. Take a couple of friends with you if you can and try some practice shots.
Yes I am going to go there next week around the same time as the wedding will take place. So I will be able to practice and get an idea for best locations for different poses.
08-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Sandrine,

It seems that KEH has a like-new Tamron 28-75 --for Pentax -- for about $350. Just a heads-up.

KEH Camera: Pentax Auto Focus - Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - 28-75 F2.8 TAMRON ASPHERICAL LD INTERNAL FOCUS MACRO XR DI (67) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS

I know prices have gone a bit crazy recently on Pentax lenses, but I just looked back and saw that I bought my Tamron 28-75 exactly a year ago, open box but new from Amazon, for $270. And I think it was available brand new from Amazon at the time for about $320 or so. Now this lens is like $440 and up everywhere. And at the time I bought the Tamron, Cameta was still clearing out their Sigma 24-60/2.8 for $199. I chose the Tamron, but probably should have picked up the Sigma just for the heck of it at that price.

Anyway, good luck with your search and your wedding shoot.