Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote
I'm thinking of buying a screwmount adaptor for my K7, and considering I'm no expert on these kinds of things, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

Are there generally issues with focusing to infinity?
Is the adaptor sold online by pentax easily attached/removed?
For Aussies, where is a good place (online or not) to find cheap lenses? For the record I live in Brisbane in case anyone knows of a good retailer or antique store.
Anything I should watch out for with screwmount lenses on the K7?

Cheers.
I don't know if you can get one from the Australian counterpart, but in the U.S. we can get the authentic Pentax from Pentax Imaging for about $32 usd. I use that as a gauge when looking at adapters.

08-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I feel I should make sure to add that the kind Andi and I mentioned, with the flange on them, *will* cause infinity-focus issues, which are non-issues in some applications (like macro bellows and extension tubes) but probably more of a pain than they're worth in most general use.

The conventional wisdom seems to be you're safest with the genuine Pentax for that: I see no reason to dispute that unless you're doing a custom job of some kind.
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yep, one something like that. It appears that the slot will engage the camera's mount pin just fine, no spring to get stuck... I have a T-mount adapter that looks similar and seems to work just fine...
Great! Ordering one now

Now to find that discarded 4 inch diameter vacuum cleaner hose as the bellows material for the tilt-shift
08-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Great! Ordering one now

Now to find that discarded 4 inch diameter vacuum cleaner hose as the bellows material for the tilt-shift
Yay! I expect I'll get one, myself. (Gonna check out my bellows first to be sure I don't need any other little thingies as well) I'd pay heed to concerns about inferior machining, though, be sure to clean the threads, (I suggest oil, then cleaning the oil out, and I'd mount and unmount the threads a few times and clean again, to be sure there's no little burrs of metal that could get anywhere near your camera's workings.

08-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great! Ordering one now

Before you do that:

Check it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/69369-original-...e-porters.html
08-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
I do have an original adapter (what takumar junkie doesnt?), but I need the flange for something for the DIY bellows to "grab" onto Thanks for the link though! I'm entertaining the idea of removing the lock and just turning my Tak 200mm into K-mount so it can go together with the 28-75 and 10-17 on my walkabouts
08-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I do have an original adapter (what takumar junkie doesnt?), but I need the flange for something for the DIY bellows to "grab" onto Thanks for the link though! I'm entertaining the idea of removing the lock and just turning my Tak 200mm into K-mount so it can go together with the 28-75 and 10-17 on my walkabouts
That would make a nice trio!
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote
I'm thinking of buying a screwmount adaptor for my K7, and considering I'm no expert on these kinds of things, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

Are there generally issues with focusing to infinity?
Is the adaptor sold online by pentax easily attached/removed?
For Aussies, where is a good place (online or not) to find cheap lenses? For the record I live in Brisbane in case anyone knows of a good retailer or antique store.
Anything I should watch out for with screwmount lenses on the K7?

Cheers.
I bought literally all of my M42 screwmounts from users on this forum ... all well loooked after lenses indeed.

I bought a genuine Pentax M42 adaptorfrom eBay .... and also picked up another one when i bought another lens. One of my K10D's is a dedicated M42 unit with my adaptor always on it. And I have a Kat's Eye focussing screen in it as well to make MF focussing much finer.

08-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
Igilligan

Andi, be careful when you use an adaptor with the lock mech removed. It works well on small lenses with smooth focusing, but some larger lenses with any slightly resistant spot in the focus turn can spin off the camera...
08-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Andi, be careful when you use an adaptor with the lock mech removed. It works well on small lenses with smooth focusing, but some larger lenses with any slightly resistant spot in the focus turn can spin off the camera...
that's a toughie.... maybe I should just convert the 200mm into K-mount? It was only worth little after all, might be worth it.

my 200mm is a pretty smooth focuser though, so I think I'll try the removed lock first. Thanks gus
08-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
Igilligan

Just watch out at the infinity limit... haha

Oops... maybe its the close focus limit... either way watch out for one of the ends 8^)
08-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
my macro-takumar can unscrew itself. god forbid I mounted it unlocked. id never be able to use it.
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Great! Ordering one now

Lens Baby on a couple of cheapo extension tubes works as well: