Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 17-50 2.8, $369 new from prodigital2000.

(or Tamron 28-75 2.8 )

08-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like you've got the normal-wide spectrum pretty well covered, so I'm going to suggest some longish lenses.

If you don't mind manual focus the K 135 F2.5 is a stellar lens for not terribly much money

Otherwise I'd suggest the Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro. Excellent macro that doubles as an excellent short tele and pretty damn good head shot portrait lens.

And as xjjohonno has suggested, there are a world of excellent takumars out there, esp the SMC Takumar 200mm F4.0.

NaCl(There are others but these three are pretty darn good)H2O
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro ... for sure.
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The DA 40 is great and all, but you certainly don't need it with the DA 35 in your collection. I think you would be well served by a nice walk-around zoom lens. If the Tamron 28-75 is off the table, then the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great option as well, or the DA 17-70 you mentioned seems like another good option. If you want a longer macro lens, the Tamron 90mm macro was a good suggestion (but your DA 35 is obviously great as well, less ideal if you want to shoot bugs).

08-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
The DA 40 is great and all, but you certainly don't need it with the DA 35 in your collection. I think you would be well served by a nice walk-around zoom lens. If the Tamron 28-75 is off the table, then the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great option as well, or the DA 17-70 you mentioned seems like another good option. If you want a longer macro lens, the Tamron 90mm macro was a good suggestion (but your DA 35 is obviously great as well, less ideal if you want to shoot bugs).
The thing about the Tamron 90mm macro is that it makes a great short tele and portrait lens. I use it more as a "regular" lens than I do as a macro. It does a lot of things quite well. It's got wonderful bokeh for a portrait lens. It is sharp even wide open, at F2.8 it is moderately fast for a short tele. And with focus limiter and AF/MF clutch it's got good ergonomics. And of course it does 1:1 macro.
I really dislike those "if you could only have one prime lens" posts, but if I were to participate in them I'd seriously consider naming the Tamron 90mm macro.

NaCl(almost always in my bag)H2O
08-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I hear you NaCl. People really seem to love the Tamron 90mm macro. But to be frank, the OP already has the DA 70, so he wouldn't necessarily "need" the Tamron for short tele and portraits, as the DA 70 is really good for those uses as well. But the Tamron is certainly a viable option.
08-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
Forum Member

I own the DA21, DA35 and DA70 - I just ordered the FA43. I think there's enough focal difference between the 35 and 43 to make it worthwhile - think of the 43 as teh "fast 50" you're missing (it's just that it's a few mm shorter but is a limited )

Look, it's your birthday, treat yourself - a limited is the only way to go here and you know it!!
08-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #23

My vote would be go for inexpensive and interesting with an M series 50mm 1.7 then balance out the practical side with the DA 18-55 WR. I've never had a limited, so I may be tempted to go that route to see what the fuss is about if I was you, but I'm guessing the feeling is alot like the satisfying feeling you get from playing with the smc-m 50mm. Manual focus, razor sharp, and can be had extremely cheap. That gives you a toy to play with for next to nothing, albeit a very high quality toy. The smc-m 50mm is the lens that started my love affair with Pentax, so I'm pretty biased...

08-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #24

Not a lens - a panorama head and software.

Your lens kit looks great

If it was a lens I'd go with the 17-50 tamron or 90mm macro

BUT you do landscapes, and have a wide angle tendency

So a panorama head would let you do great panoramas,
the head keeps the perspective constant around the lens center.
Especially important if there a close object or if you want to do a
two level panorama or even a spherical one.
e.g. http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n3ii-sa.htm $200

then add some panorama software, some software can even
deal with ghosting so you can have people moving between shots. Awesome.

e.g. AutoPano Pro - Panorama stitching software - Panoramic photo software - image stitching $150

And for $350 you've got yourself a whole new point of view
(which is like a new lens)

Cheers, Alistair
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
I hear you NaCl. People really seem to love the Tamron 90mm macro. But to be frank, the OP already has the DA 70, so he wouldn't necessarily "need" the Tamron for short tele and portraits, as the DA 70 is really good for those uses as well. But the Tamron is certainly a viable option.
To all who suggested the Tamron 90 Macro, Jeffrey got to my response before I could. I think the lens is fantastic from what I've seen online from all of you folks and others, but a couple of issues are that it's large (I like my primes small and portable), and that I don't do a lot of insect macro. That really just leaves portrait and I have the DA 70. Great lens though, and thanks for the recommendation!
08-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
My vote would be go for inexpensive and interesting with an M series 50mm 1.7 then balance out the practical side with the DA 18-55 WR. I've never had a limited, so I may be tempted to go that route to see what the fuss is about if I was you, but I'm guessing the feeling is alot like the satisfying feeling you get from playing with the smc-m 50mm. Manual focus, razor sharp, and can be had extremely cheap. That gives you a toy to play with for next to nothing, albeit a very high quality toy. The smc-m 50mm is the lens that started my love affair with Pentax, so I'm pretty biased...
I think this is a good idea, and I can even do something close without the M 50, as I already have the M 50 f/2. Not regarded as stellar, but not bad at all. I kind of like the idea of just having the DA 18-55 WR in case it rains or dusts. It's light and small, so wouldn't be a burden to carry around and use occasionally. This might be the way to go...still thinking.
08-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlistairMostly Quote
Your lens kit looks great

If it was a lens I'd go with the 17-50 tamron or 90mm macro

BUT you do landscapes, and have a wide angle tendency

So a panorama head would let you do great panoramas,
the head keeps the perspective constant around the lens center.
Especially important if there a close object or if you want to do a
two level panorama or even a spherical one.
e.g. http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n3ii-sa.htm $200

then add some panorama software, some software can even
deal with ghosting so you can have people moving between shots. Awesome.

e.g. AutoPano Pro - Panorama stitching software - Panoramic photo software - image stitching $150

And for $350 you've got yourself a whole new point of view
(which is like a new lens)

Cheers, Alistair
Very interesting idea, I hadn't thought about this (or ever even looked into it). I will do some research...if not now, something to keep in mind for future challenges/new directions in photography.
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CheddarGav Quote
I own the DA21, DA35 and DA70 - I just ordered the FA43. I think there's enough focal difference between the 35 and 43 to make it worthwhile - think of the 43 as teh "fast 50" you're missing (it's just that it's a few mm shorter but is a limited )

Look, it's your birthday, treat yourself - a limited is the only way to go here and you know it!!
Not sure I can find it for the price I want, but of the FA Ltds., this is the one that has been lurking on my wishlist. I think for a 3-lens street/travel kit, this would offer speed where the DA 35 offers Macro. Would definitely be a tough choice, but one I'd like to have!
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CheddarGav Quote

I have the 35ltd and 43ltd - they are very different lenses.

For the OP, I third (fourth?) the 43/1.9 suggestion.