Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, don't forget the Pentax F* 300mm f4.5.
A cracking sharp (and very compact) lens, a Nikon using friend of mine is jealous as hell of mine, especially when he gets out his (nearly twice the size) Nikon 300mm f4. (with no SR I may add ).

08-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'punchiness' of the DA limiteds?

One interesting thing I've heard repeated and have witnessed myself is the 'punchiness' of the DA limiteds - more contrast, maybe brighter colors, more of a 'modern' digital look. I think this may have something to do with the angle of light delivery to the sensor and possibly updated coatings, but I don't think I've seen a definitive answer to why this is.
08-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One interesting thing I've heard repeated and have witnessed myself is the 'punchiness' of the DA limiteds - more contrast, maybe brighter colors, more of a 'modern' digital look. I think this may have something to do with the angle of light delivery to the sensor and possibly updated coatings, but I don't think I've seen a definitive answer to why this is.
It could be, there was a posting somewhere also about the need of some F and FA lenses of a hood, as a hood reduces stray light that can cause loss of contrast.

Also, and I forgot about this in the discussion about lens differences, is the move to internal focus, as opposed to moving the entire group, and also when aprochromatic lens designs began. I am not sure where these points fit in the overall equation / evolutionary map. Some of these could also impact the "punchiness" of the image.

it might be worth a test. same shot every 50mm lens (for example)
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
You wrote that a 50mm doesn't really become a 75mm with the 1.5x crop factor. I always thought that if you put a 50mm film lens on a digital camera,it would equivalate to a 75mm on a 35mm film camera because of the 1.5x crop factor????
A 50mm lens doesn't *become* 75mm because of the crop factor. The actual focal length - as measured by how it actually bends the light - is still 50mm. However, the field of view on a DSLR will indeed "equivalate to" (somehow, in this context, that term seems *perfectly* appropriate) a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
A 50mm lens doesn't *become* 75mm because of the crop factor. The actual focal length - as measured by how it actually bends the light - is still 50mm. However, the field of view on a DSLR will indeed "equivalate to" (somehow, in this context, that term seems *perfectly* appropriate) a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera.
Thanks Marc for confirming on what JHfwp said about the crop factor.This is what I was told for all this time.But you do learn something new everyday.I suppose that's what photography is all about.You are always learning to improve to what you love doing.
08-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Thanks Marc for confirming on what JHfwp said about the crop factor.This is what I was told for all this time.But you do learn something new everyday.I suppose that's what photography is all about.You are always learning to improve to what you love doing.
I couldn't agree more....well said.
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thansk you all for make it clear

08-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
this is particularly important for the DOF and why smaller sensors seem to have larger DOFs. To get the same framing, you have to be further from the subject. DOF is affected by the relationship between you and the subject and the background. As you get closer, you decrease this relationship and the DOF gets shallower, particularly apparent on macro shots. However, there is an effect with perspective that will change your perception of DOF, which is what the focal length really effects.
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Guys, guys, let's do this the easy way. The only way we're ever goinjg to solve this question it to recommend something the noobie is already familiar with. If they could make sense out of the advice given, they wouldn't need to ask.

Just tell 'em a 35mm is about what they'd expect from a 35mm camera with a "normal" 50mm lens -- so get a good one -- and adjust from there as personally desired. They deserve a 35/50 anyway.

$50 spent on a cheap 28-70mm zoom will teach more about desired focal length than any other choice.

H2

Besides, maybe we can make a market for cheap starter lenses! The world economy demands this solution.
09-19-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

You should start a new tread as your question is 100% unrelated to the original question in 2009
Closed Thread