Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know of any comparisons yet. I'm not planning on getting my 24-70HSM until next year but hopefully someone in the Boston area has the FA*28-70 we can compare against...

08-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
I am also considering buying the sigma 24-70mm
Do you mean the HSM or non-HSM?
I chose the older Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG over the newer non-HSM 24-70 because of the reviews on here and other sites, even though I was offered the 24-70 massively reduced - at the same price as the (already cheap) 24-60. I've hardly seen a complaint about the 24-60, where as the 24-70 is sometimes called soft, has flare issues, is a lot bigger and uses a 82mm thread (compared to 77mm).
08-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Have ordered the 24-60 ($423 AUD delivered), as Gary said best bang for buck by far and great reviews online including the quote below
from a review that really clinched it for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it now!

QuoteQuote:
This is where things get interesting. Some aspects of perceived quality, as applied to camera lens performance, will of course be subjective. We can utilise all manner of resolution charts, geometric patterns and colour swatches in order to quantify technical performance. However, in the final analysis, our appreciation of a specific lens design will be influenced by how pleasing the resultant images are to the eye.

There are lenses which, while providing an abundance of resolved detail, somehow never manage to produce likeable images. Conversely, there are simple lens designs which, while not boasting a sophisticated specification, manage to produce very pleasing results overall. When a high specification lens also has this indefinable ‘pleasing to the eye’ characteristic, it is elevated onto a higher quality plane where just a few lenses of its type reside.
The 24-60 EX DG seems to have this special quality which distinguishes it from the norm. While capable of extraordinary resolution, there is a certain unforced smoothness and delicacy of detail which imparts a realism to images rarely found, especially at this price point. Indeed, there are probably few equivalent lenses at any price point capable of producing superior images.
08-08-2009, 03:11 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Do you mean the HSM or non-HSM?
I chose the older Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG over the newer non-HSM 24-70 because of the reviews on here and other sites, even though I was offered the 24-70 massively reduced - at the same price as the (already cheap) 24-60. I've hardly seen a complaint about the 24-60, where as the 24-70 is sometimes called soft, has flare issues, is a lot bigger and uses a 82mm thread (compared to 77mm).
I meant the non-HSM, the new one is too expensive for my pocket. You are right about the 24-60mm, it seems everybody is happier with it than with the 24-70mm, but I can not find it anywhere... I guess it should appear on ebay sooner or later, but right now there is not such lens on Pentax mount.

Thanks for your answer.