Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Polarising Filter

Im off on holiday in a couple of weeks to Malta and in the new year im off to Norway for 4 months,would I benefit from a polariser.
If I would do you recommend getting the best I can afford or will I not notice the difference?
Tim

08-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
Another thing,would one work on the Sigma 10-20mm,I have read it can cause banding across the sky?
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
Another thing,would one work on the Sigma 10-20mm,I have read it can cause banding across the sky?
Anyone could benefit from the effects of a polarizer. Ask yourself if you need it. I have them. I have the Sigma lens. I haven't used it on that yet, but it doesn't cause "banding". Banding is what crowded sensors have at high ISOs. What you're probably referring to is uneven darkening of the sky. This will happen, but just deal with it; the sky is never of an even tone. Polarizers are nice though.
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks,ive been looking at the Hoya HD,Its their new one with only 1 stop light loss.

08-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A polarizer on a very wide lens does not cause banding but rather different degrees of darkening in different parts of the sky. In 35mm film terms you can start to see the changes across a 28mm sky. It is quite apparent by 24mm. By 17mm and wider it is very obvious.

A polarizer will have its maximum effect at 90* to the sun. At 0* (facing the sun) or 180* (sun at back) the polarizer will have the minimum effect. If you have a lens that approaches 90* FOV you will see the entire spectrum of polarizer response from strong to weak. A 14mm lens (APS-c) is about 90* FOV. Therefore, your Sigma 10-17 lens for half its range will exceed the maximum to minimum range and "wrap -around" in one frame (max-min-max or min-max-min depending on the direction the camera was pointed. The other portion of your Sigma range will show most of the minimum-to maximum effect in the one frame. I've ruined more than one shot this way.

Polarizers are great for 50mm (aps-c ) (35mm for film) and longer lenses. You can't see the sky color change on those images.

Enjoy your trip!
08-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
Thanks,ive been looking at the Hoya HD,Its their new one with only 1 stop light loss.
Hoya is a good choice. Since they now own Pentax, I'm sure that they will make sure their products will harmonize. I've also had good luck with Tiffen Circular Polarizing filters.
08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
lmd91343, Thanks for the comprehensive response.
Thanks jimh i'll have a look at them aswell.
08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

...I have a Hoya for my 16-45mm and a Tiffen for my 10-20mm and they both work awesome for me,cannot see any difference in the quality!.The Hoya costs about $250 cad and the Tiffen was $80!!!!....................sold!

08-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
...I have a Hoya for my 16-45mm and a Tiffen for my 10-20mm and they both work awesome for me,cannot see any difference in the quality!.The Hoya costs about $250 cad and the Tiffen was $80!!!!....................sold!
You make a compelling argument
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Which Tiffen are you using? I'm looking to get the Hoya HD and if the Tiffen can save my money I'm interested.
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Anyone could benefit from the effects of a polarizer. Ask yourself if you need it. I have them. I have the Sigma lens. I haven't used it on that yet, but it doesn't cause "banding". Banding is what crowded sensors have at high ISOs. What you're probably referring to is uneven darkening of the sky. This will happen, but just deal with it; the sky is never of an even tone. Polarizers are nice though.
Don't be pedantic. The practical effect is that there is a band of darker sky surrounded by lighter sky.

Last edited by alohadave; 08-10-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use a Hoya on my 16-45, an off brand on my Tak 135 and they seem to bring out more color and contrast. Especially when shooting landscape or anything with the sky. I even bought one for my Tammy 70-300 but I don't use it that much.
08-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This may be over the top, found this in another thread:
Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

I use the Cokin system which allows me to use 1 filter with all my lens. I was trying to find another thread, which also talked about polarizing filters, the main point was just because the filter is round does not make it a "circular polarizer" I'll keep looking.
08-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

Buy the best you can afford, we all spend a fortune on good glass, don't ruin them poor quality filters.
08-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #15

Since you mention the Sigma 10-20, I'd recommend that you get a THIN MOUNT filter. At your extreme wide angles (10-14), you're apt to get vignetting with a standard thickness filter. The end result will be you having to crop your photos to eliminate the corners.

I dropped $130 for a B&W thin mount CPL and I've been happy with it so far..