Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Damn Brit

In Praise of the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8

It was a real shame when Sigma discontinued the 24-60. I've just acquired one and it really is a great lens. I think it is deserving of it's own thread.
These were taken on my first outing with it.
Feel free to add your own images to it.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 11:01 PM.
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Damn Brit

08-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Damn Brit

08-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice!!

I've been casually looking for this lens for a while, but it seems like every time one appears in the marketplace it's snapped up. 24mm is a nice starting point on these mid-range zooms, even on aps-c.

Guess I'll have to keep looking! Nice shots Gary.

08-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good call Gary, it's a very good lens which I sold in pursuit of the DA* 16-50. The Sigma's probably the sharper of the two wide open, but the 16mm wide end, the bokeh, and the overall rendering (not to mention the water resistance) of the DA* make it the winner in my book.

Here's some samples from the Sigma 24-60mm...

08-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some great images there Gary!! I love the sunset stuff a lot.
08-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I got it for $200 new from Camera Camera store @ Amazon a year ago - it is a good lens (@ that price)...

mandatory brick walls, etc : Sigma 24-60/2.8 EX DG - deejjjaaaa - Участники - Фотогалерея iXBT
08-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if you meant Cameta Camera, but that is where I got mine through Amazon over a year ago. This may have been the best lens deal I have ever heard of. The image quality is very good and the build qulity is great. I also picked up the Sigma EX DG 17-35mm from the same place for $200.00, and while this lens gets a lot of bad reviews I think I got a good one.

08-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Nice!!

I've been casually looking for this lens for a while, but it seems like every time one appears in the marketplace it's snapped up. 24mm is a nice starting point on these mid-range zooms, even on aps-c.

Guess I'll have to keep looking! Nice shots Gary.
Thanks J, I haven't done much shooting at the lower FLs so it's taking some getting used to.
You'll stumble across one in time I'm sure. I can't wait to see the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Some great images there Gary!! I love the sunset stuff a lot.
Thanks Ben, I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I got it for $200 new from Camera Camera store @ Amazon a year ago - it is a good lens (@ that price)...

mandatory brick walls, etc : Sigma 24-60/2.8 EX DG - deejjjaaaa - Участники - Фотогалерея iXBT
I think it's a great lens for the price.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Good call Gary, it's a very good lens which I sold in pursuit of the DA* 16-50. The Sigma's probably the sharper of the two wide open, but the 16mm wide end, the bokeh, and the overall rendering (not to mention the water resistance) of the DA* make it the winner in my book.

Here's some samples from the Sigma 24-60mm...

I really like this one Josh.
08-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
Not sure if you meant Cameta Camera, but that is where I got mine through Amazon over a year ago.
yes, it was a typo, I meant Cameta Camera store @ Amazon
08-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It is a great lens, I really like the IQ. Been using mine for well over a year, very happy with it.

Nice photos Gary, love #2 & #4.
08-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered mine today after reading a rave review online (and this thread!) Can't wait to get my hands on it!
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gary,

Congrats on finding a real sleeper of a lens!! I actually bought a new copy soon as I grabbed a K20D. I used this lens as my main lens on my 40D, especially for product shots. Fun walk around as well.

Don't hate me but I have yet to do more than look at my Pentax mount copy. With everything going on here, just not a lot of time, which is really not the norm, usually bored beyond belief. I really love that now I have a copy of the lens that gets SR thanks to Pentax....yippie!!

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Just ordered mine today after reading a rave review online (and this thread!) Can't wait to get my hands on it!
You will be really happy with this lens. I used it on my 40D for over a year and found it every bit as good as the Canon f2.8 lenses, even L's, in the same zoom range.

I really need to get out my Pentax mount copy...but a 4yr warranty makes a guy kinda lazy and in no hurry to check it out.

Come back and post some sample shots here in Gary's thread to compare with the other folks or show off yours!! One thing that copies of this lens for other mounts went through was a period of some production issue leading to some back focus or front focusing copies. But those are easily and quickly fixed by Sigma with no problem.

Ya bought a GREAT lens!!
08-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Come back and post some sample shots here in Gary's thread to compare with the other folks or show off yours
Will do just stting here patiently waiting for it to arrive (any day now!)

This a bit of the review I read online...

QuoteQuote:
This is where things get interesting. Some aspects of perceived quality, as applied to camera lens performance, will of course be subjective. We can utilise all manner of resolution charts, geometric patterns and colour swatches in order to quantify technical performance. However, in the final analysis, our appreciation of a specific lens design will be influenced by how pleasing the resultant images are to the eye.

There are lenses which, while providing an abundance of resolved detail, somehow never manage to produce likeable images. Conversely, there are simple lens designs which, while not boasting a sophisticated specification, manage to produce very pleasing results overall. When a high specification lens also has this indefinable ‘pleasing to the eye’ characteristic, it is elevated onto a higher quality plane where just a few lenses of its type reside.
The 24-60 EX DG seems to have this special quality which distinguishes it from the norm. While capable of extraordinary resolution, there is a certain unforced smoothness and delicacy of detail which imparts a realism to images rarely found, especially at this price point. Indeed, there are probably few equivalent lenses at any price point capable of producing superior images.
08-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Taken with my 24-60mm f2.8 a few weeks ago.
I take this along with my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 if I want to carry fairly light, they make a great combo along with a set of etension tubes.