Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #31
Senior Member
scorpioh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 178
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
The first one a little PP. The other 3 are HDR. Thank you.
I apologise if it offends you but the HDRs, especially the third, are overdone.

08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #32
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
indeed. the 12-24 is a great lens, not perfect, but excellent.

here are some of my shots from the outer banks of NC :





in raleigh:


Last edited by opiedog; 08-11-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: image links
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #33
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
I apologise if it offends you but the HDRs, especially the third, are overdone.
It doesn't offend me at all IF you are willing to show off some of your HDR photos. Please post some.

P.S. Yes, the third is overdone.
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
I disagree, other than the last HDR (Slightly over-done) the others are ace.

08-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 835
opiedog - nice pictures. Since you have them on zenfolio, all you would have to do is put [IMG] and a [/IMG] around the links you posted. There's probably a link that does the same thing, but I never bother with it.
08-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #36
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lone Tree, Colorado, USA
Posts: 77
New Lense, Early Efforts

I certainly like my 14 day old DA12-24mm-
08-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
opiedog - nice pictures. Since you have them on zenfolio, all you would have to do is put [IMG] and a [/IMG] around the links you posted. There's probably a link that does the same thing, but I never bother with it.
thanks! didn't realize it was that easy!
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Well if we are going to be praising lenses here, I just have to say that the Pentax DA 12-24 f4.0 lens is one of the finest in the Pentax arsenal. One of the reasons I have NOT opted to go for the 15 Ltd. In fact, it is as sharp as some of my primes. This is one of the lenses I reach for when in tight spots or just looking for that perspective that only this lens can attain.

I would love to see images by those taken with this gem of a lens.

This image shot at 12mm at f8.0

Ben
Really interesting shot....love the lighting. I have been on the fence about this lens or another Sigma 10-20mm...seeing these shots will really help a lot in deciding and right now I am liking the 12-24 a lot more!!

THANKS!!

08-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,362
Easily my favorite lens... very rarely do I take my kit without this lens. I love the colors, the sharpness, and the perspective.

Great shots everyone; here's some of my faves w/ this lens.










08-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
some superb shots in this thread !
08-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member
esman7's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 322
I love every pic I have seen.

I need you guys' advice: I have the following lenses...

DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II
DA* 50-135mm f2.8
FA 50mm f1.4

Now I'm contemplating getting a DA* 16-50mm or a DA 12-24mm.

I like wide angle shots, but is it even worth it to consider the 16-50mm or is the 12mm so good that I should just get it?!!?!?

Thanks!
08-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member
gnaztee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cornelius, OR
Posts: 753
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I love every pic I have seen.

I need you guys' advice: I have the following lenses...

DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II
DA* 50-135mm f2.8
FA 50mm f1.4

Now I'm contemplating getting a DA* 16-50mm or a DA 12-24mm.

I like wide angle shots, but is it even worth it to consider the 16-50mm or is the 12mm so good that I should just get it?!!?!?

Thanks!
I think I'll tell you what I was told many months ago when I was contemplating the same choice: They are completely different lenses.

With regards to image-quality, they are both the top of the line for their respective lens types in the Pentax line. That being said, you need to consider other factors:

1) Do you want it to be a "walkaround" lens that can handle a variety of situations? The 16-50 probably wins both for being f2.8 and the focal range.

2) Do you find that your 18-55 just never seems to be wide enough? Not much difference between 18 and 16, you may need the 12-24.

3) Using it in situations where you need weathersealing or silent focus? 16-50 is your lens.

Frankly, if you need a more general purpose lens to replace your 18-55, I'd get the 16-50. Many will tell you that 12mm is a big difference from 16mm, and it IS noticeable, but 16 is still plenty wide (I used to have the DA 16-45). I LOVE ultrawide, so I got the 12-24 instead.

Good luck!
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member
esman7's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 322
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I think I'll tell you what I was told many months ago when I was contemplating the same choice: They are completely different lenses.

With regards to image-quality, they are both the top of the line for their respective lens types in the Pentax line. That being said, you need to consider other factors:

1) Do you want it to be a "walkaround" lens that can handle a variety of situations? The 16-50 probably wins both for being f2.8 and the focal range.

2) Do you find that your 18-55 just never seems to be wide enough? Not much difference between 18 and 16, you may need the 12-24.

3) Using it in situations where you need weathersealing or silent focus? 16-50 is your lens.

Frankly, if you need a more general purpose lens to replace your 18-55, I'd get the 16-50. Many will tell you that 12mm is a big difference from 16mm, and it IS noticeable, but 16 is still plenty wide (I used to have the DA 16-45). I LOVE ultrawide, so I got the 12-24 instead.

Good luck!
AHH! That's my problem - I can't decide on those factors. I just love the images that I've seen from the 12-24mm. Not to knock the 16-50mm, but I prefer the distortion on the edges, it gives it a great appeal.

Just curious as I have never held the 12-24mm. does the quality compare to the 18-55mm kit lens in terms of build? Or does it feel more sturdy?
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
AHH! That's my problem - I can't decide on those factors. I just love the images that I've seen from the 12-24mm. Not to knock the 16-50mm, but I prefer the distortion on the edges, it gives it a great appeal.

Just curious as I have never held the 12-24mm. does the quality compare to the 18-55mm kit lens in terms of build? Or does it feel more sturdy?
The 12-24mm is much better quality in your hand. You will feel the difference. It is "sturdy".

My take on your situation. If you want wide go wide and pick up the 12-24mm. If you want distortion go with the Fisheye 10-17mm (I have both) they are used for entirely different situations. The distortion on the 12-24mm is not great for Landscape shots. But up close to a subject you will have significant distortion. My suggestion to you is to pick up a 12-24mm and a 10-17mm. Don't fool around.
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 835
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
AHH! That's my problem - I can't decide on those factors. I just love the images that I've seen from the 12-24mm. Not to knock the 16-50mm, but I prefer the distortion on the edges, it gives it a great appeal.

Just curious as I have never held the 12-24mm. does the quality compare to the 18-55mm kit lens in terms of build? Or does it feel more sturdy?
I agree that the 12-24 feels much sturdier than the old kit lens I had (mine was the first version). I liked the kit lens and so there was no question when I got the 12-24. After I got the K20, the kit lens ended up on the shelf and it didn't seem so bad to go straight from 24 to 50 most of the time (I've been shooting like that for the past 2 years, but finally gave into desire and have a 16-50 arriving tomorrow). The front element is pretty big (77mm!) but the lens itself isn't huge and it's easy to shoot with.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, f4.0, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax da 12-24mm, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Praise and an example... FHPhotographer Pentax K-r 6 01-24-2011 11:45 PM
In praise of pentax photo laboratory peter sellmer Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 04-05-2010 10:24 AM
In Praise of the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 Damn Brit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 12-02-2009 02:10 AM
HIgh Praise for Pentax K-x BobRad Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 11-01-2009 01:42 AM
Praise for Pentax, and a little bit for me. blwnhr Photographic Technique 12 02-13-2008 11:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top