Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For fast and 24mm or wider you're pretty much looking at more Sigma lenses, none of which are particularly small or cheap. The 28mm f/1.8 has already been mentioned and there is also a 24mm f/1.8 and a 20mm f/1.8. A used FA* 24mm f/2 would probably be in the same ballpark as the Sigma lenses new depending on how badly your local Sigma distributor price gouges.

Look under wide lenses: Sigma - Lenses

08-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Marc should know what is the highest acceptable ISO to print in A3 with the K200D as he uses one. He shoots pubs too!
Maybe ISO 800?
As with most things, it's subjective. I'm not afraid of ISO 1600 in general, but I don't know how big "A3" is. As far as I'm concerned, it doens't matter though - blur is worse than noise, and blur is what you'll get if you don't turn the ISO up to at least 1600. Either motion blur if you're not shooting f/2.8 or better, or blur from too shallow a DOF if you're shooting below f/2. Also, my shooting is rather different than what is being discussed here. I shoot performers on stage, meaning I use mainly telephoto lenses, plus my subjects tend to stay in one place for long periods of time while I position myself. It doens't have to be as quick a thing as I think is being discussed here. Without flash, this is going to be a very steep uphill battle.
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
A used FA* 24mm f/2 would probably be in the same ballpark as the Sigma lenses new depending on how badly your local Sigma distributor price gouges.
*poking head up like meerkat.*

Where?
08-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*poking head up like meerkat.*

Where?
I've seen a couple sell in that price range on this forum in the last year.

Here's the B&H page for a new Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX at $479; the 28mm is $100 cheaper and the 20mm is $100 more expensive:

Sigma | W/A 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro AF Lens

FA* sales in the $500 US range (I though there was at least 1 more but I'm not seeing it...):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/55396-sale-trade-sold-pentax-m...star-24mm.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/43124-sale-sold-pentax-fa-24mm-f2-0-a.html

08-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Aha. Thanks, Steinback. Among the Sigmas, it's actually the 28 I'm most interested in. (love that FOV on crop) For the FA* thing, well, that's a little negotiable.

Kinda wish Pentax would release like a DFA (or just FA, even) 28/2 after the design of the old A one, priced somewhere more accessible than the 31.
08-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 for $159 on ebay. I think it was a lucky win.
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I agree with Mark Sabatella. An SMC 28mm 2.8 for about 30 bucks gives you a very sharp 42mm on a Pentax Digital body. I use one on my k10 at 400 ISO and get very sharp pics at about f8
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Of course, f/8 isn't much use in a dimly lit club. But I find more than sharp enough at f/2.8, especially considering that, like it or not, you *are* going to need high ISO to get many usable shots without flash, and at high ISO, resolution is already pretty limited by noise. Of course, faster than f/2.8 would often be nice, but as i said, DOF starts to get shallow enough that usefulness in this type of settings becomes diminished.

08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muggins Quote
Thanks... good stuff. I don't usually bring the camera out to many evening/night social situations because it's often low lit and tough to get a sharp capture with my 12-24 or the kit lens. I hate using the in camera flash too. So I concluded that I'll need a fairly wide fast lens if I want to start capturing all the great shenanigans, hootenannies, pow wows, etc...

FYI - shooting with a K200D, and although I'm not entering any contests, I do print A3 & A3+ on my Epson R2400 - so I am trying to keep ISO as low as possible. I don't I'm ready to completely swap to Nikon yet either... I'll probably keep the K200D and eventually get a full frame a few years down the road if/when they become attainable for us mere mortals.

Is there anything faster than 2.0 that is wider than say 24mm?
Muggins, if you already have a 12-24, I think you have the perfect lens!

For pub shots, I think wider is better to get in as much of the surroundings as possible.

So far, no one has mentioned using a tripod. Now I know they can be a pain to carry with you, but they give great results. They slow us down, but your composition will be spot on, and as long as your mates aren't moving around too much, you should be able to recognize everyone in the photo.

Here are some shots all taken with the Pentax 16-45 f4.0 lens, which is not a fast lens. The sensitivity was 400 for all shots. If you use your 12-24, you can go even wider in tight spots or just shoot in the 16-20mm range for shots like these.

16-45 @ 16mm @ f11 @ 2 seconds.

16-45 @ 16mm @ f13 @ 2 seconds.

16-45 @ 16mm @ f5.6 @ .7 seconds. These are my friends, but they weren't posing for me. They are reasonably sharp for the .7 second exposure.

I just thought I'd add a tripod user's point of view.

Once you get used to carrying them, it becomes second nature, and they're not much of a bother at all.

Mike
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Muggins Quote
Hello...
Focal length is also a consideration - would the 50mm range be too long to shoot small groups of friends that are only a few meters away?
In confined pub-space, I think the 50mm would be too long. It's a struggle to get more than one person in the frame, and you probably wouldn't get any sense of the surroundings - my interior pictures with this lens are usually just tons of face. Still usable, just not perfectly suited to that type of stuff.

If money was no object, I'd get the 31mm/1.8. If you have a bit of money, but not that much, I'd suggest finding a copy of the 35/2.0. Outside of those options, you could get the 40/2.8, 21/3.2, or 50/1.4. If you don't care about size and are ok with general softness wide open, one of the Sigma 1.8s will probably serve you well.