Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Suggestion for Sigma 24-70 owners (or potential owners)

As many realize, the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX Macro lens has an odd size filter (82mm) and a quirky lens cap. I like to keep the hood on my cameras as much as possible, even when stored in my bags. If you don't have a center pinch lens, this because a challenging feat, as well as potentially dangerous to the front glass as you fumble to try and get the cap to sit properly.

I just bought a 82-77mm step down ring, as well as a 77mm Sigma center pinch cap. This works out great - no vignette wide open - and spaces the cap away from the glass. In addition, I can keep the hood on at all times and use the same filters as on my 70-200mm.

Just a suggestion, take it for what it is worth. Here is a photo to demonstrate. And to note, the lens is terrific - best from F4.0, but quite usable wide open.

Joe

08-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering if a filter adapter would cause vignetting.

Is yours the first version?
Mine is the second version, and looks a little different than yours. However it's also a SA mount, which might explain the differences.
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was wondering if a filter adapter would cause vignetting.
it is a FF lens, so vignetting is less possible for APS-C camera
08-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Huh? Is that the double-focus version? I had the double-focus version, from this angle looks same as yours. It had 77mm filter thread though... Really felt like a great lens - but misfocused on every FL except for 70mm - getting worse and worse towards the wide end - so I had to return it...

08-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure what version it is. It is the latest non HSM version. Still listed on Sigma's page.

You engage manual focus by pushing the lens barrel towards you.