Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Those whom have Sigma 100-300mm F4?

Obviously pictures tell more words then what im typing but im at work and will try to post pictures later. But do you find it difficult to get really sharp handheld shots? I think its because of the size. I currently dont have a mono/tripod, but am looking to get one. Also dont think it would make a difference, but mine currently has a UV filter on the lense. Just wondering what some of you tricks are for great handheld shots. I traded my DA*300mm for this lense, because i wanted more range, but now kinda missing the DA*300, because it was alot easier to take pictures with. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks

Steve

08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One old trick for hand held telephoto photography is to hold the lens by the focusing ring, half press the shutter, which will stabilise the whole camera, and holding your breath as you fully press the shutter. - it also pays to wait for the in camera IS icon to show up in the viewfinder to make sure the IS is ready.

It's a stabilising technique that is similar to the methods snipers use...albeit the end result here is hopefully not a dead corpse. I have obtained handheld images of decent quality at shutter speeds of 1/30th at 300mm.

monopods are a real pain, I find it hard to get one that is tall enough for me and the only ones that are tall enough are all carbon fibre.
08-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One old trick for hand held telephoto photography is to hold the lens by the focusing ring, half press the shutter, which will stabilise the whole camera, and holding your breath as you fully press the shutter. - it also pays to wait for the in camera IS icon to show up in the viewfinder to make sure the IS is ready.

It's a stabilising technique that is similar to the methods snipers use...albeit the end result here is hopefully not a dead corpse. I have obtained handheld images of decent quality at shutter speeds of 1/30th at 300mm.

monopods are a real pain, I find it hard to get one that is tall enough for me and the only ones that are tall enough are all carbon fibre.

Agreed that monopods are a pain (for me at least) - I bought one with my Sigma 100-300 f/4 but have only used it a couple times.

I've actually heard that it's best to continue to breath evenly and to not hold your breath, as holding breath actually introduces strain and shake. (that's the method I use.)

Although there may be a more advanced way of doing it that snipers use, maybe they only stop one breath precisely at the shot moment?

Anyway, it's also a good idea to make sure you have elbows down at the sides, against the body. I'm able to take some pretty good snaps
using my D90 + Sigma, as long as shutter speeds are above 1/100s (no SR on the D90 )
08-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've actually heard that it's best to continue to breath evenly and to not hold your breath, as holding breath actually introduces strain and shake.
no one said you had to hold your breath THAT long . no, that is pretty much the tried and true method of snipers, That trick has been around since WWI. and by all means keep your arms tucked in.

when using a long lens on a tripod a different technique is called for. when you lock down the tripod, rest your hand on the focusing ring because vibrations from the shutter travel the full length of the lens and come back to the camera, so placing you hand at the end of the lens absorbs a large amount of these shock waves and helps keep the setup steady...especially when it is windy.