Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #61
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
I recently took a couple shots with this lens and a TC attached, and I'm planning on adding more. It performs beautifully!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84205-tamron-7...elievable.html
Those are indeed sharp, Wally.
Focusing distance is what, around 1.5-2m?
A very good result IMO.

12-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Those are indeed sharp, Wally.
Focusing distance is what, around 1.5-2m?
A very good result IMO.
Yes Ash, almost full macro range (around 1.5m at 200mm, or so) which, if my experience tells me anything, should actually make the images (theoretically) *much* less sharp, for a non-dedicated-macro zoom lens (just think of all those M lenses with "macro" modes, and how poorly they performed -- the 40-80/2.8-4 comes to mind). And yet, the Tamron still holds up!
12-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by shane33 Quote
gday mate it was actually only those photo page i posted the one you pointed out was takin with a TZ7 point and shoot its only few on last page i took today
Oops, my bad - I'm not sure how I got to that image. In that case, I also don't see any problems with the photos you posted. Could you post some crops of the areas that look soft to you?
01-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

01-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #65
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent results Darren.
These appear to be very sharp and well contrasted and detailed throughout the frame (as far as I can see). Impressive.
01-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Some from an event tonight:

ISO 3200, f/2.8

100mm

200mm

01-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #67

Great shots Darren, and thanks for keeping us updated.

Judging from the magenta "fringing" in the last 3 photos, I'm guessing you used a K20D? If so, and if you shot RAW, there's an easy way to fix this.

GordonBGood developed a little tool that will correct this directly in the PEF file. See here:

PROGRESS: version 0.9.0.0 now supports PEF files...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I also posted some test results using his tool (it works great!):

My results with 0.9.0.0!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
Great shots Darren, and thanks for keeping us updated.

Judging from the magenta "fringing" in the last 3 photos, I'm guessing you used a K20D? If so, and if you shot RAW, there's an easy way to fix this.

GordonBGood developed a little tool that will correct this directly in the PEF file. See here:

PROGRESS: version 0.9.0.0 now supports PEF files...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I also posted some test results using his tool (it works great!):

My results with 0.9.0.0!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The magenta cast has been troubling me because I shoot a lot of high ISO (1600-3200) while on assignment for my college paper. The grainy noise is not an issue since it doesn't show up on newsprint but the magenta cast really gets to me. I've heard a bit about GordonBGood's program but never tried it. I'm using a mac and it looks like this program is Windows?

edit: I noticed something about Mono in the readme but I can't seem to get that to work. Maybe this might be worth switching around to Boot Camp and back. Anyone use this program on mac?

Last edited by darrenleow; 01-28-2010 at 10:18 AM.
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Some from an event tonight:

200mm
Love this shot.
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #70
Forum Member

gday guys just dug my camera back out after some time away from it and was playing about the house heres a shot i just took .
just wondering if you guys think its ok i think focus is ok but something just dont look right to me as in crisp enough heres shot details

k20d
tammy 70-200
1/1.5 sec
f2.8
iso1600
AV mode

now i have focus set to AF.C or should it be set to AF.S now im still new to this camera as i only take landscape or portrait is there any other modes or settings i should look at thanks for looking
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I think AF.S is the safest way to go.
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #72
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Shane.
It looks like the glass vase is the most in-focus object in the frame.
To be sure you know what you are focusing on, use AF-S and know which focus point you are using and at what part of your subject you are focusing on.
10-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #73
Veteran Member

hey guys

BEWARE OT QUESTION COMING UP

after talking to Ash on this lens Im almost at the point of laying out cash..my major concern now is the AF

I realize that the pentax mount does not have the inbuilt motor but rather the screw thread AF from the body..

I managed to try a Nikon D90 with the lens today in a local shop...but thought the focusing was extremely slow.....but after some youtubing Ive found vids there that are testing the speed of the pentax K7 and the tamron 70-200 from infinity and its closest focusing distance and back again..Im pleased to note that on the k7 its about .8 of a second to do this..but the nikon mount takes 1.8 secs...quite a bit different , the nikon was test bodies were D700 and a D300

anyone care to comment on theirs ?
10-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #74

good lens i think, i wanna get one later.
someone says it has some sticky aperture problem.
i didnt look the all topic because of lack of time.
has it that problem?
10-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #75
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I managed to try a Nikon D90 with the lens today in a local shop...but thought the focusing was extremely slow.....but after some youtubing Ive found vids there that are testing the speed of the pentax K7 and the tamron 70-200 from infinity and its closest focusing distance and back again..Im pleased to note that on the k7 its about .8 of a second to do this..but the nikon mount takes 1.8 secs...quite a bit different , the nikon was test bodies were D700 and a D300

anyone care to comment on theirs ?
That's unexpected - I've never seen either Nikon perform slower in AF compared to any Pentax body to date, but I've never tested the 70-200 with them. If you don't get a response here Steve, you might want to start a new thread posing the question. Sounds like it would be an interesting finding...