Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax SMC M 50mm f/1.7

Hey guys. one of these lenses finally found a place on the Slovenian marketplace.
The owner wants 50 € for it, and the condition is "normally used." After asking, I found out it has a few millimetres of fungus after the front element, and a few cosmetic scratches on the outside (none on the lenses, he says). According to him, image quality is not damaged because of these things (he said he tested it thoroughly and used the word 'pixelpeeping' as well).

These things are incredibly rare here, so I don't know what to do. But I really want a smallish, fast lens. Was thinking of the DA40, but I won't be able to afford that for some time, and it's slower. And I don't mind manual focus.

He's also selling a 135mm f/3.5, but I haven't asked anything about that one yet.

What do you think? =)

08-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Im not sure what theyre worth but as of 1900hrs GMT tonight im putting mine on ebay (and a K 135mm 2.5)
08-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's real no bad effect. The most you can expect is a tiny little bit more flare in the more extreme cases. I've had a Super-Tak 50 1.4 with fungus growth on multiple elements and yellowing and have only been impressed by its quality everytime.

Like you said, the 50/1.7 is rare in your area and unless you want to ship one in from abroard, I think its still a pretty decent deal. 50 euros is a fair price for the 50. Not overly high nor low.
08-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is a good before-and-after-cleaning example of what you might expect from a lens with fungus.
The front elements of M42 50mm's are actually pretty easy to access and clean and there are illustrated posts on the web to help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59416-fungus-comparison.html

If the 50/1.7 is a high priority item for you I'd suggest you get it - you may be able to lower the price a little because of detectable fungus but others may beat you to it while you try to bargain.

A barely noticeable amount of thread fungus isn't going to affect the IQ for any practicable use. The concern is that over the long term the fungus may increase to a worrisome level if not cleaned and its potential effect on re-sale value should you decide to sell it.

H2

08-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the fungus is around the edges of the lens and he used a Pentax digital to check it, the fungus wasn't in the frame.

It looks like I could send an M50/1.7 to Slovenia from the US for $10.76 via First Class International Mail. The price here was so low, I kept one of these with a tiny chip in the front glass because I thought it was too much trouble to sell. I guess I should have sold it in Slovenia!
08-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

So, that's about $80AU...

I'd say it's not worth it, but if they're fairly rare over there, it might be time to grab it.
08-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
To explain the rarity, I've not seen a single Pentax manual lens (except the ones needing an adapter, and NOT Takumars, but some other stuff that's supposed to be real crap) until now, and I've checked at least once a week on Slovenian marketplaces and our "e-bay" called "Bolha" (which means 'flea') for several months.

08-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #8

I just saw three 50 1.7's at goodwill two days ago. Since I have one I didn't pick it up. One came with a camera for $30us. I would say that is the second most common pentax lens I find on cameras at the thriftstore. If it is still, I can pick it up for you.
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
You would do that for me? =o
But would it still have a normal cost after shipping and stuff? And it's well preserved too?

That would be so awesome! *has shiny eyes*
08-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you had a look here: pentax smc 1.7, Consumentenelektronica op eBay. Producten tegen lage prijzen op eBay.nl ? Might be cheaper in the end as far as S&H go. Hope it's of some help!

Last edited by lidy; 08-08-2009 at 04:06 PM.
08-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
I just saw three 50 1.7's at goodwill two days ago. Since I have one I didn't pick it up. One came with a camera for $30us. I would say that is the second most common pentax lens I find on cameras at the thriftstore. If it is still, I can pick it up for you.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
You would do that for me? =o
But would it still have a normal cost after shipping and stuff? And it's well preserved too?

That would be so awesome! *has shiny eyes*
great to see something like this. But I'm afraid with shipping it would be over 50EUR. But give it a go...
If not contact me, I can have a look in London's camera pawnshops. 50/1.7 in M & A incarnations are relatively common here and they go for around £45-55. If you'd want M50/1.4 they go for around £90. I expect shipping to slovenia would bey around £15.

BR
Peter
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Seems I'll be paying the least if I just buy this guy's lens... I'm gonna go check it out, he lives quite far away though. So I'm gonna arrange a 'testing' and see how the lens performs.

Any ideas what I must check? (got fungus, oil on aperture blades and scratches on my list)
08-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #13

Im not sure what the price is to ship to the EU. The only other prime I see more than the 50 1.7 is the 50 2. I probably see 3-5 50 1.7's a month. Let me know.

Patrick
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
Hey guys. one of these lenses finally found a place on the Slovenian marketplace.
The owner wants 50 € for it, and the condition is "normally used." After asking, I found out it has a few millimetres of fungus after the front element, and a few cosmetic scratches on the outside (none on the lenses, he says). According to him, image quality is not damaged because of these things (he said he tested it thoroughly and used the word 'pixelpeeping' as well).

These things are incredibly rare here, so I don't know what to do. But I really want a smallish, fast lens. Was thinking of the DA40, but I won't be able to afford that for some time, and it's slower. And I don't mind manual focus.

He's also selling a 135mm f/3.5, but I haven't asked anything about that one yet.

What do you think? =)
Talk the price down.Make sure you are happy with it and the price before handing the cash over.
08-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #15

i have one for sale in fantastic condition in the marketplace - advertised at €50 plus shipping from Ireland. However, i can reduce the price to €50 including shippign if you are interested. i can email pics if you wnat them.