Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about verifying the authenticity of this lens using the SN? It's on one of the photos - SN 5567321.

08-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's so sad. I can't believe PayPal would do such a thing and let such a thing happen. I would cry if that were me. Hope all goes well for that dude.
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's so sad. I can't believe PayPal would do such a thing and let such a thing happen. I would cry if that were me. Hope all goes well for that dude.
In my opinion PayPal is only interested in one thing. That being Your Money
If you google up PayPal nightmares you'll find more than you could possibly imagine.
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

out of curiosity, what happens if you withdraw your money once you're paid? Surely paypal cannot reach into your bank account/cc without permission first? I've been fortunate to not have to run into that situation, but I wonder if anybody has some thoughts about that. I feel that as long as your paypal account is empty, nothing can happen to you? At worst, you run away and let your account die?

08-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
out of curiosity, what happens if you withdraw your money once you're paid? Surely paypal cannot reach into your bank account/cc without permission first? I've been fortunate to not have to run into that situation, but I wonder if anybody has some thoughts about that. I feel that as long as your paypal account is empty, nothing can happen to you? At worst, you run away and let your account die?
Yes they can. It's part of your agreement to use their services. If your bank account doesn't have enough funds to cover the "refund" then they'll hit your cc. I'm sure there's some legal arguments buried in the hundreds of pages everybody clicks "I Agree" to. I got burned this way once when a seller cancelled his Visa transaction once I had shipped the item, Paypal took the money out of my account. I fought it but it never amounted to anything. Luckily it wasn't a large amount.
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Yes they can. It's part of your agreement to use their services. If your bank account doesn't have enough funds to cover the "refund" then they'll hit your cc. I'm sure there's some legal arguments buried in the hundreds of pages everybody clicks "I Agree" to. I got burned this way once when a seller cancelled his Visa transaction once I had shipped the item, Paypal took the money out of my account. I fought it but it never amounted to anything. Luckily it wasn't a large amount.
Interesting. Surely if paypal can be an ass about it, we can too? Like either disconnecting our CCs from our accounts or calling our bank/cc company to make sure they red flag paypal transactions and block them off? It is interesting how far paypal would consider taking things after that.

In fact, after buying two lenses online using my cc, my cc company actually called me to verify that it was me who was buying, so I think they're inclined to support their cardholders quite well w.r.t. online issues.

Sometimes being Canadian about things means tough luck

*understandably this could lead to abuse, but that is perhaps a consequence of the inherently flawed system.
08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leaf Fan is right and I know a member here that had a large deal (across borders) done through Paypal (unrelated to photography). It was about the same value as this. He had all the documentation and the buyer tried to rip him off (cliamed it never arrived even though it was signed for) Paypal ignored his proof and gave the guy a full refund. So he sued them and won. It cost Paypal a lot more than the refund to defend and reimburse the seller.

So to me this is just too fishy. There's no way I'd let this die and not take PP to small claims court or something to get the money back. The guy is in the US so they would have to appear to defend the action and if they didn't he'd win anyway.

08-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
How about verifying the authenticity of this lens using the SN? It's on one of the photos - SN 5567321.
I'm not sure if there is a way to trace the SN without having Pentax do it on that particular lens. I'm wondering if they would even put a real sn on a dumby demo unit.
08-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #24

Did you guys notice, that in the links in the first two posts lead to 2 different auctions. One has a sell price of 200$, the other of 255$. I wonder how many times this guy got scammed like that
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #25
Forum Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the guy running the auction is the one with the scam, albeit a somewhat minor one since he is accurately representing the item he sold, just with a fake sob story to drive bids.
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm starting to smell a rat here somewhere.
08-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Did you guys notice, that in the links in the first two posts lead to 2 different auctions. One has a sell price of 200$, the other of 255$. I wonder how many times this guy got scammed like that
He also has a 100% rating and 2386. I would expect someone with a rating like that to be safe.
08-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #28
emr

Guys, hold your horses. The latter Ebay page clearly states that

QuoteQuote:
I sold this lens about a month ago but the buery from Asia decided that he did not want it after all and it was never shipped to him. If you choose to bid on it PLEASE HONOR YOUR COMMITMENT.
So there seems to be a valid reason for the item being FS twice.
08-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #29

Original Poster
just got back to this thread and didn't you guys read the thing properly?
08-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

this was up for sale previously with the same story. no way of knowing if it is true. why advertise your misfortune in a sale? especially with the volume of biz that is noted.... smells funny