Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #1

....Can't believe this.... Is the guy on here?

Just can't believe this... feeling sick from reading this is the guy known around here?

PENTAX 400mm F2.8 Lens on eBay (end time 09-Aug-09 23:56:38 BST)

I actually would love it, bringing all the matches/events and look real professional

08-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not much good missing all of the elements. Unless you happen to have all of them laying around.
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
ah... thanks, anyway

I hope Karma settles everything in the end for both parties.

08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I may even get into events free with that lense slung over my shoulder
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any idea why I h8 thieves
08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
hmm, how many pentax members are on this? maybe we all chip in a euro each! and send it to him?
08-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not much good missing all of the elements. Unless you happen to have all of them laying around.
Well, it might be that Pentax can provide the missing elements. If so, they are probably not THAT expensive; it is the front element that is expensive on that lens.

Anyway, it is weird. It would have been more "understandable" if the front element was missing; not all the others

08-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Why in the world would he instruct PayPal to send a refund to this thief before he received the returned lens & checked it out first? Why would PayPal believe him after he had already OK'd the refund?
08-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This makes me sick.
08-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Why in the world would he instruct PayPal to send a refund to this thief before he received the returned lens & checked it out first? Why would PayPal believe him after he had already OK'd the refund?
Yeah I wondered that as well. There's no way in the world I would refund the buyer before getting the lens back and inspecting it. If it came back in that condition, I would instruct my bank and CC to temporarily block any transactions thru Paypal till it was sorted out. He was careless IMO.

What I wonder is could this post be a sob story. Pentax did sell these just in this state as store demos in some larger markets. It allowed them to put the chassis on the sales floor to at least show a demo to possible customers as very few complete versions were sold. I'm wondering if this is really a demo. It really makes very little sense for the buyer to return part of the lens. If he was going to steal it, then just send back a box with a rock in it or if he had a defective 400mm to repair, then swap them.

Something doesn't add up with his story.
08-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I was trying to figure out why the person running the scam would want those internal elements when it would seem that the real target would have been the cash. I never realized they had "floor" models that weren't complete. Interesting.
08-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah they were't real common either but far less expensive than building hundreds of complete units to sit on the shelf. A dealer that did pretty high volumes in Halifax had a 300mm f2.8 demo in his store for a while just to show the size of the lens to possible buyers.
08-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah they were't real common either but far less expensive than building hundreds of complete units to sit on the shelf. A dealer that did pretty high volumes in Halifax had a 300mm f2.8 demo in his store for a while just to show the size of the lens to possible buyers.
If I bought one of those store demos, I wonder how long it would take me to figure out that the reason it didn't work right was because 7 pounds of glass was missing.

That's another possibility I suppose is this guy could have had a switch pulled on him but I would think that he would have checked the serial number.
08-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Pentax did sell these just in this state as store demos in some larger markets. It allowed them to put the chassis on the sales floor to at least show a demo to possible customers as very few complete versions were sold. I'm wondering if this is really a demo.
If it is a demo I really can't picture that front element being a real piece of glass.

At least I don't think that I'd stick an expensive lens in a showpiece, when a $0.50 scrap will do just fine.