Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help Needed With Lens Choices

Let me first say Hi to everyone:
This is my first post on this Forum, which I think is great by the way.
I purchased a Pentax *ist DL2 with the two lens kit 18-55mm and 50-200 last year. I primarily do landscaping and would like to give a more serious try to taking portraits have been looking on line for a new wide angle lens ,and a good prime better than the 18-55 lens and the choices are a bit overwhelming for a novice like me .Can I get some help please. Do I stay with Pentax or are there better value lenses out there.
I Thank you all in advance for any imput.
Ross

05-14-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Ross

If you are looking for current (read: in production) wide-angle primes, there are only two from Pentax, namely DA21 and DA14. Both are excellent lenses so choose whatever one that suits your shooting style. If you want a zoom lens, then there are 16-45/4 and 12-24/4. Again, both are excellent lenses (but I have heard that 12-24 might be better than 16-45) so choose one that fits your bill.

As for portrait, have a look at FA50/1.4, DA70/2.4 and FA77/1.8. These are not the only portrait lenses, they are just the ones that most people seem to recommend use when taking portraits.

Otherwise have a look at Tamron 28-75/2.8 which is an excellent lens if you don't need the wide end. It also excels at portraits too!

cheers
Kenny
05-14-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sigma 10-20mm is a decent performer. I just got one a couple of weeks ago, but I've been happy with it so far. It costs a bit less than the Pentax 12-24mm, and goes wider. It is a stop slower at the long end though.
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #4

The Zenitar 16 FE is a good choice too. Cheap, excellent optics, extremely wide, very well built, but fully manual (usually not a problem with landscapes). Besides, because of the extreme DOF, you can usually just set it to infinity and be done with the focusing, even when shooting closer objects.

05-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quartz Quote
Let me first say Hi to everyone:
This is my first post on this Forum, which I think is great by the way.
I purchased a Pentax *ist DL2 with the two lens kit 18-55mm and 50-200 last year. I primarily do landscaping and would like to give a more serious try to taking portraits have been looking on line for a new wide angle lens ,and a good prime better than the 18-55 lens and the choices are a bit overwhelming for a novice like me .Can I get some help please. Do I stay with Pentax or are there better value lenses out there.
I Thank you all in advance for any imput.
Ross
Your question is a bit wandering in terms of needs, you say you are looking to get into protraits and that you want a wide angle lens.

Between the kit lenses you have the right focal lengths covered for portraits,, as you would want to have 50-100 mm and your 50-200 would do this for a start, although it perhaps cannot give you a really small depth of field that a fast lens could, you can certainly start with it.

For wide angle, either the pentax 12-24 or the sigma 10-20 would certainly be a good idea, as it would complement your kit lens.

I have the sigma, and have no problems with it. I took this over the pentax because I wanted to go as wide as possible. I have some shots in a highschool gym where there are lots of parallel lines and see no distortion at all.
05-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you that have shared lens suggestions with me .
I will look in to the Sigma 10-20,in so far as the Zenitar I have foud a
distributor in Toronto, the lense is very affordable at about $155 US.
Just wondering how good can it be.
Ross

Last edited by quartz; 05-14-2007 at 02:49 PM.
05-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #7

Do a search for "Zenitar" in "post your photos".

I found this thread amongst others.

Hopefully you can see the search by clicking here. Haven't tried linking to searches before.

Edit: Even though it's a fish eye, you can easily un-fish it by using one of many photoshop plugins or stand alone programs.

Last edited by kskjon; 05-14-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
05-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

I can recommend the Zenith too:
Very sharp!
Very good build quality.
f 2.8 - if you want that....
Amazing how much better the sharpness is!

As for the fisheye-effect:
Because of the aps-size of the Pentax-dslr-ccd the most distorted parts will not be visible.
I can really live with the Zenith without defishing....