Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
hi,

could anyone tell me if the Kenko 2X MC4 is a good teleconverter or not?
Thanks a lot.
Nobody really can. It may produce acceptable results with a particular lens, but may be not with others. Anyway it is sure not a top-quality converter, as Kenko has also the 7-lens-elements tcs, which are better.

Ben

08-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I also saw the next one:
"7 element auto tele converter photo 2X MC"
7 element and MC in green letters. Seller says it resembles to an elicar TC.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
I also saw the next one:
"7 element auto tele converter photo 2X MC"
7 element and MC in green letters. Seller says it resembles to an elicar TC.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?
If it is the real Kenko MC7 it is acceptable. It is not really great, but quite useable on prime lenses. With zooms I don't know, as I never tried it.

Ben
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personnaly use my DA*200 with a AF 1.7X and the results are excellent. This is a recent shot from a GBH at a pond near my place.

08-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I use a Vivitar 2x in M42 on some of my Taks and have had some decent shots with it. This is manual focus only. On the 200/4 I have had some very good shots stretching it to 400. I have to use a monopod or tripod with it to get any keepers. For whatever reason, I have not been able to get decent hand held shots using the converter on that lens. I would prefer some longer glass but like many I use the converter to stretch my lenses and my budget. I also crop a lot of my photos. Some may not approve but I'm getting by with what I can afford.
08-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Anyhow, it is true that cropping doesn't *always* produce better results than a TC. It depends on the specific TC, the specific lens, and also whether you can afford the two-stop loss of light. Also how big you intend to print - a heavy crop might be sharp for screen viewing or small prints but look too pixelated in larger ones, while an otherwise inferior uncropped image might look less objectionable in a large print. But in my experience is that in *most* cases, cropping the image without TC will beat using the TC. And images posted to show the alleged benefit of the TC that don't also show the corresponding cropped image without the TC don't really prove otherwise.

I suspect TC's were more advantageous with film, where cropping required more specialized tools and procedures - you had to either produce the prints yourself or pay someone extra to do it for you. With digital, the convenience advantage of the TC is gone, and I'm not sure there ever was much of an IQ advantage.
Marc

I dont disagree with any of this, but would like to add that for crop vs TC I find, that the TC starts to win out if the crop is more than about 1/4 of the frame, because as you point out you start to see pixelation of the image.