Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chris48 Quote
In so many ways the 77 is better than the 85. The 85 is a special purpose lens built for portraits. It is not so great for landscapes. But, what the 85 can deliver, like "3D'ness", bokeh and other portrait effects, the 77 just cannot.
Wtf? How can you state the 77 is not a good portrait lens with a straight face?

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I've never used the 77
Then don't come around parroting stuff you yourself admit you have no knowledge to base on. Let's keep the signal/noise ratio high here. I never used the 85 and you don't see me passing judgement on it.

Anyway, I bet the reason the 77 Ltd is still around while the 85mm is not is because it's cheaper, smaller, and is part of the FA Ltd series which is extremely popular and still being produced. I would be extremely surprised if it had anything to do with optical quality and the FA* 85 is a very good lens.
Surely, because the 77 is such an AWFUL LENS that everyone bashes at any opportunity they have. </sarcasm>

08-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I never said anything about the 77 Ltd being bad. Nothing of the sort. In fact I would love to add it to my stable of lenses some day. Reading comprehension goes a very long way. Also, please explain to me how I "parroted" anything.

I just said that I doubt the the 77 is still around while the FA* 85mm has been discontinued because it is "way superior" to the FA*. I have both the A* and FA* 85mm lenses, and I compared them, based on the fact that the A* has the a very similar optical design to the 77 Ltd. Also, the A* is widely regarded as being an absolutely stellar short tele lens in almost every way, and the fact that the FA* is close to it in resolution, and better than it in some ways(at least in my opinion), speaks volumes about the FA*'s performance.

Anyway, while I DOUBT the 77 is way superior optically when compared to the FA* 85mm, it is without a doubt superior when it somes to cost, size, and popularity. As I stated before, I imagine these are some of the reasons it is still being produced while the FA* is not.
08-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I dunno too much about 77's, but I know I luv my A* 85mm F1.4.
08-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyway, while I DOUBT the 77 is way superior optically when compared to the FA* 85mm, it is without a doubt superior when it somes to cost, size, and popularity. As I stated before, I imagine these are some of the reasons it is still being produced while the FA* is not.
I had both (sold the 85mm). The 77 LImited is way superior at farther shooting distances. The FA* lens is great at shorter distances.

08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have never used the 85 but I will if someone lends it to me. I have compared a great many photos. On some a very slight bokeh superiority can be seen shooting with the 85.

In all other ways the 77 is better. In particular the small size and build are outstanding. The versatility is great; with a cheap adapter I use mine as a macro. It is the last lens I would sell.

Random photo follows.

08-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I've seen plenty of people talk about the FA* 85mm being bad at longer distances but have never seen any sign of it in my pictures. I tested it shooting at a distance when I first got it, and even compared to the A* I wouldn't call it bad.
Maybe I just got a good copy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I had both (sold the 85mm). The 77 LImited is way superior at farther shooting distances. The FA* lens is great at shorter distances.
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Why does it all have to boil down to.. I say... you say...
Well frank took some comparison shot on this thread awhile back (not sure if the pictures are still there)... and form you own opinion which you think is the better lens. In my mind the FA 77mm is more practical... smaller, build quality, availability, cheaper, etc.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41607-fa-85-1-...-8-photos.html

08-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #23
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Please post some of the "bad" FA 85mm shots at longer distances. From the way you always criticize this lens for that, you'd think the shots you are getting are worse than that from a plastic lens. Is it really THAT bad or is it just not as good as the 77mm? For the 5 rating you gave it in the lens reviews, I would consider that being worse than 40% of other lenses out there. Do you honestly believe that the distant subjects you shoot with this lens are horribly worse than other lenses out there?
08-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I had the FA*85/1.4 a decade ago and used it quite a bit. It did particularly well for portrait, but when I tried it on extension tube or for landscape, the sharpness dropped dramatically. The FA77/1.8 on the otherhand is not as pleasing for portrait but overall a more balanced design for different kind of subjects. The only con is that the FA77 suffers from PF which presented on film (similar to the FA*24/2 which is even worse). But then again, I have found Pentax lenses are generally not free from PF.
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

In my uneducated guess, but with my knowledge of business practice, the 77 is probably a simpler optical design and costs less to manufacture, and can be sold for a higher markup. Sure, there's the fact that the FA line was discontinued and the LTD line kept in production, but I feel these two things go hand in hand. Can anyone prove me right/wrong?
08-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Back then the FA*85 was selling like USD800 I think. If Pentax kept them in production, we might be looking at 1200? Let's face it, most Pentax customers are pretty price sensitive.
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #27

heck i just want both of them!!!!!
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both these lenses, and they are both wonderful in their own ways.

My experience is that at short/portrait distance the FA*85 is an absolute cracking good lens, but I too find that at distance it is soft.

The FA77 is also a cracking good short/portrait lens (I would not favour one over the other at this distance), but it is sharp also at medium/long range.

In summary, the 77 would win as an all rounder.