Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My thrift store find!

So here I am sitting at the tire shop waiting for a screw in the tire to be patched when I notice a second hand store next door. Bored and looking at a 30 minute wait I decide to mosey on over and see if I can get one of those "thrift store might as well have given it to me" deals I hear about but never seem to find for myself. Browsing the store, Nothing, not a single camera or lens in sight. Until, AH HA! What have we here? Tucked away behind the register is a hard lens case unmarked awaiting prying eyes. It sits next to an older 35mm camera in a case, covered so cant see the brand. I ask the nice lady to please let me look see. She says you can look, but the camera and extra lens are only sold as a set. HMM. OK. I look at the lens, says "SUPER CHINAR 1:2.8 f=28MM". Flip it over, kinda looks like a K mount but not quite sure. She says "you want to look at the camera too?" Its probably a Canikon or something but what the hey. Open the case and Ricoh screams out at me. Its a Ricoh KR-10 Super. It has a Rikenon 1:2 50mm lens attached to it. Trying as hard as I could to remember what this great forum mentioned about Ricoh lenses fitting my K20 I just couldnt decide if it would fit or not. For S&Gs I ask her, how much for the set. She looks in her little book and says quietly $15.75 . I said 15 dollars??? she says yes, and 75 cents. SOLD!!! If it fits cool, if not, I can sell it for that and no loss right? Not only do they both fit, they are both in really stunning condition. I have been looking off and on for a bit wider of a lens than my Pentax M 50 1.7 for some landscape photos for my upcoming trip to Germany (Saturday) but have been put off by the prices. Looks like I finally got one for myself. Now just have to figure out what to do with the body and the extra 50mm.
First shot was taken with the 28mm stopped down to f4 (a little soft for my taste wide open)
The second shot was taken with the Rikenon 50mm also stopped down to f4 for similar reasons.
The last shot was also taken with the Rikenon 50mm stopped down to f4.

I really like the bokeh that both of these lenses produce. Seems very dreamy to me at least. I couldnt find any reviews of these particular lenses so I thought I would throw my $.02 in on them while I am at it:
Both a bit soft wide open, but after f4 they are very very sharp. Great feel, great optics and very nice IQ.

Attached Images

08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lucky you! Two lenses and a working body for $15.75. The KR-10 Super is a nice unit. It is basically an XR7 without DOF preview or aperture in the viewfinder.

Steve
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

lucky I found the same exact set (without the 28mm) but figured that the aperture lever is broken (but still somewhat usable), but the killer is that after I put in batteries, the shutter is stuck! Decided not to buy. Oh well
08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If that KR-10 is built as well as my old KR-5, you have a nice camera there. I bought my KR-5 new back in 1980, and it has been through hell and back, and is still working fine. It's a Plain Jane camera, fully manual, but it is a tough summagun !!

08-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking camera and what a price!

But regarding the lens, please look at The Ricoh Pin Fix.
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Lucky for me NO PINS! Both of these lenses have no electrical contact with the body at all. I did notice there is a slot on the opposite side of the stop down lever that has a little lever recessed in it. Upon further inspection of the body, there is a corresponding lever in the mount that meets up with the one on the lens. When you twist the aperture ring on the lens, this moves along with the ring, telling the camera what setting you chose.
The first picture I am attaching shows the whole ring sans any electrical contacts.
The second shows the lever that moves with the aperture ring. It is inset into the mount enough that it doesnt interfere with anything to remove or install.
These pictures were taken with the 28mm of the 50mm, but the 28mm looks almost identical. These are both 100% crops, no pp of any kind except to crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   

Last edited by MoparFreak69; 08-11-2009 at 07:23 PM.
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

those will both be fine, no problems at all....

08-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If that KR-10 is built as well as my old KR-5, you have a nice camera there. I bought my KR-5 new back in 1980, and it has been through hell and back, and is still working fine. It's a Plain Jane camera, fully manual, but it is a tough summagun !!
I put a roll of film into the body but I cant get it to wind. I do know the batteries are beyond dead. Do these bodies need the batteries to be ablet o operate? I have never used a film body before and I think it would be fun to try it out and maybe keep the thing around. Who knows. I should be able to use all my lenses on it except my fully automatic 18-250 as all of them have manual aperture rings handy. Any other advice for this specific body? I know its no pentax, but it has the K mount heart of one
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the film advance lever stuck? Try pressing the shutter and then advancing. You have to stick the tip of the film leader into the roll slots and then keep pressing the shutter and advancing until it takes, then shut the door and keep shooting until you get to one on the counter.
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Ricoh XR-7 and I love it. It does need batteries to do anything, so hopefully that is true of yours as well. I bet you can google a copy of your manual, I find it really helpful in getting acquainted with these old cameras.

Only lenses with the "P" setting, or some with a "A(P)" or "A/P" on the aperture ring have the pin. You should be fine - enjoy!
08-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Even better, the KR-10 is aperture priority with manual as an option.
08-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
those will both be fine, no problems at all....
Yep, standard K-mount...
08-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
I put a roll of film into the body but I cant get it to wind. I do know the batteries are beyond dead. Do these bodies need the batteries to be ablet o operate?
The shutter is full electronic, so yes, you need batteries...two SR44. Here is a link to the manual:
Ricoh KR-10 Super
Indeed, it is not a Pentax, but it has some features (machined aluminum chassis, for example) that would put certain very similar contemporary Pentax bodies to shame. Due to its age, you might want to give a close look at the door seals and mirror bumper foams. Chances are that those are rotted. The mirror foam is particularly problematic since it is sticky and will end up being slung on to the focus screen with the first couple of shutter actuations. Replacement of the foam is a DIY project or about $50 at a camera repair place.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2009 at 10:16 PM.
08-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The shutter is full electronic, so yes, you need batteries...two SR44. Here is a link to the manual:
Ricoh KR-10 Super
Thanks a lot for the link. Told me everything I ever wanted to know about it and more! I think i will have to get some batteries for it and give her a try.

QuoteQuote:
Indeed, it is not a Pentax, but it has some features (machined aluminum chassis, for example) that would put certain very similar contemporary Pentax bodies to shame.
It does seem to be built pretty well. The camera itself doesnt appear to have much use on it at all.

QuoteQuote:
Due to its age, you might want to give a close look at the door seals and mirror bumper foams. Chances are that those are rotted. The mirror foam is particularly problematic since it is sticky and will end up being slung on to the focus screen with the first couple of shutter actuations. Replacement of the foam is a DIY project or about $50 at a camera repair place.
Steve
Yep, the seal around the focus screen is rotting out. Door seals seem good and not sure about the mirror foam. If you are referring to the cushion that sits below the mirror when its down, that appears fine. If there is suppose to be something for when the mirror is flipped up, I might be missing that but if its a simple DIY replacement I'll have to look into it.
08-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote

Yep, the seal around the focus screen is rotting out. Door seals seem good and not sure about the mirror foam. If you are referring to the cushion that sits below the mirror when its down, that appears fine. If there is suppose to be something for when the mirror is flipped up, I might be missing that but if its a simple DIY replacement I'll have to look into it.
The mirror bumper is a strip of foam that the mirror stops against as it flips up for exposure. It is parallel to the front edge of the focus screen. With age, the foam turns into a bead of sticky goo that tends to get all over the mirror and focus screen. If the goo is already on the mirror or screen, don't try to remove it yourself. Both surfaces are extremely fragile and should be saved for the camera repair guy to clean.

As far as replacement foams for DIY, there is a guy that sells ready-made kits on eBay that are specific to particular cameras.

Steve