Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #1

3rd party lenses

Hello,

I was looking at some lenses and was not sure if every maker other than pentax needs to have an adaptor to mount to my new k200D.

I know if they are made for pentax from say sigma then no of course, but ones like minolta or others that I cannot think of right now. Is there a database of what mounts go with which lenses?

I tried finding some more info on this great site, thanks for your help with a pentax newbie. My K200d is OTW!!!!

08-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't seem to fully understand your query.
Are you asking about the Minolta, Sony, Canon, or Nikon lenses fitting on Pentax DSLR cameras or are you talking about Sigma, Tamron, Vivitar, Zenitar, Chinon, Ricoh, etc lenses fitting on Pentax cameras?
If it is the latter (Sigma. Tamron..etc) then they would fit so long as they are made for Pentax mount.
Pentax mount meaning from the very first M42 (screw mount) to the K mount (which is the regular bayonet mount) to the KA, KAF, etc of the same standard K mount with different variations having the "A" setting to the "AF" (autofocus setting).
As long as it says made for Pentax "K" mount or just K mount, then those lenses would fit the Pentax cameras without any adapters.
The only thing with the simple K mount, you have to manual focus and the aperture setting cannot be controlled "on-camera".
You should have a read on how to use the old lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Beware of lenses with the "K/R" or "KA/R" mount as that is the Ricoh mount.
This would be compatible for Pentax DSLRs without any use of adapters but they have the "Ricoh pin".
This Ricoh pin usually gets stuck on the screw drive of the Pentax DSLR.
If the lens has this pin then it should be disabled so that particular lens won't get stuck on your camera.
This is actually an easy fix. You can search the forum or even google about the dreaded Ricoh pin and how to disable or remove it.
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that I could give you a simple 10 line response...but no...

The short answer is that the lens must be K-mount or M42 screw mount. That means that you can automatically scratch lenses from these manufacturers off the list:
  • Minolta
  • Canon
  • Konica
  • Olympus
  • Contax
  • Leica
  • Nikon (for all practical purposes)

The list of manufacturers that have made K-mount and M42 screw mount is extensive. Unfortunately, many made lenses in other mounts as well. As noted above:
  • Most third-party K-mount lenses are labeled as such
  • Avoid purchase of lenses specifically made for the Ricoh "P" K-mount variant. These usually are labeled as KR, KA/R, R, or some such and have a bright green "P" on the aperture ring.
  • Almost all M42 screw mount lenses will work on your new camera
  • K-mount lenses with the "A" setting on the aperture ring (or no aperture ring) have the highest level of compatibility.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your response, I am just confused with so many lenses out there I think so I probably asked a strange and invalid question. I think lenses that are k mount is where I thought I would need an adpator or something, but really they just made the proper lens for that mount and I got confused and thought I would need an adaptor.

Doh ....
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #6

Salve, sono nuova... Donatella da Prato.
Avrei subito una domanda; ho inserito un obiettivo Panagor 28mm f.2,8 sulla mia Pentax k200D ma pur essendo entrato con facilitÃ* non riesco a toglierlo, inoltre non funziona niente della fotocamera, è completamente bloccata, anche il flash non si alza più. Qualcuno può aiutarmi a capirci qualcosa? Grazie infinite.
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donatella Quote
Salve, sono nuova... Donatella da Prato.
Avrei subito una domanda; ho inserito un obiettivo Panagor 28mm f.2,8 sulla mia Pentax k200D ma pur essendo entrato con facilitÃ* non riesco a toglierlo, inoltre non funziona niente della fotocamera, è completamente bloccata, anche il flash non si alza più. Qualcuno può aiutarmi a capirci qualcosa? Grazie infinite.
It sounds like your Panagor might have a Ricoh PK mount. These lens have the infamous Ricoh "pin" that jams into the AF drive and makes removing the lens difficult. Here is a link to a recent thread on that topic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/88651-pentax-kx-help.html
If that is not the issue, I would suggest starting a new thread asking for help. Good luck!

Steve

02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

Grazie davvero Steve, vado subito a leggere il link.