Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look on the bright side, Oren: You're getting this lens for cheaper than a new one, and chances are it's made in Japan...whilst the new ones are made in Vietnam (and some people are reporting QC issues).

08-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #17

great little lens
enjoy!
08-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Well done, by all accounts it's a great piece of glass, enjoy it when it arrives.
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #19

That's a good price, but there is no doubt that the person who bid three time and retracted twice was purposely maxing out your bid, regardless of if they are connected to the seller or not.

08-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm really not complaining about the price and it will be great to own this lens. I am sure I will get a lot of use out of it.
But the retractons are bothering me. I also email and asked if they could expidite shipping to 3 day and offered to pay the extra. They said it would be no problem at no extra cost and shipped yesterday morning. But the tracking number shows it is coming ground service after they emailed and said it was coming airbill. Just one more thing to make it fishy.
At least I am covered by paypal and ebay although it was listed " no returns ".
I hope! fingers crossed
08-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm really not complaining about the price and it will be great to own this lens. I am sure I will get a lot of use out of it.
But the retractons are bothering me. I also email and asked if they could expidite shipping to 3 day and offered to pay the extra. They said it would be no problem at no extra cost and shipped yesterday morning. But the tracking number shows it is coming ground service after they emailed and said it was coming airbill. Just one more thing to make it fishy.
At least I am covered by paypal and ebay although it was listed " no returns ".
I hope! fingers crossed
No returns only would apply to an item received as described and indicated, implied or otherwise in the ad, as to degree of functionality of the item. And even if a seller fails to state the working status of an item, they are by that omission implying the item is indeed fully functional for it's intended use and free of defects known or otherwise.

So not to worry...even with the "no returns" horse crap, you are covered. I have been buy and selling antiques via mail order for 40yrs now and you know there is one simple rule...the person doing the selling, packing and shipping is 100% on the hook to deliver the item safely and as described, no matter what they try and weasle around with after talking with some jail-house lawyer about if they state "not responsible for damage yadayadyayada...." they are...it is more complicated than that but still the seller is on the hook.

And it is possible there was some shill bidding in your listing...eBay does look into those things pretty closely so do report it and ask AFTER YOU RECEIVE the lens...that way you have the leverage. Also, three bid retractions in a very short period on several auctions will set off alarms on eBay but three on the same item for essentially the same ballpark amount will set off a fireworks show if you report it...still never discount the number of very stupid people out there connected to the web...thanks to AOL...I still blame them for everything wrong with the internet...we had a nice place until "those people" began showing up.
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
And it is possible there was some shill bidding in your listing...eBay does look into those things pretty closely so do report it and ask AFTER YOU RECEIVE the lens...that way you have the leverage. Also, three bid retractions in a very short period on several auctions will set off alarms on eBay but three on the same item for essentially the same ballpark amount will set off a fireworks show if you report it.
Good advice. The false bidder should be reported, regardless of whether he's an idiot or a cheat.
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.
I did report it ( well, an ebay customer service person did so I don't get any backlash from seller ). The lens is on the way and I should have it next Wednesday.

I really think I am going to be alright as far as the condition of the lens. They swear its in top condition. I am looking forward to getting it. I didn't think I was going to ever own one as in this case I thought for sure I would have been outbid. I know for sure if sales would have went out of the US it wouldn't be in the mail to me right now.

The only thing I regret is I sold my VL Nokton 58 to help cover the unexpected cost. Out of all the lenses I have bought and sold I will miss that one the most, even though I didn't use it that often. I think it was that good. It probably won't be too long before I get another.

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.