Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OMG!! I'm insane ( but you already knew that) FA 31

This is the second time I did this, winning a bid I didn't expect. I know $750USD isn't a steal but its mine regardless. I did think I would get outbid for sure but now that I have done it I am sure I will be happy.
Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Lens - eBay (item 150364023304 end time Aug-12-09 10:12:08 PDT)

Anyway, this means my Nokton will be up for sale although I hate parting with it. I may even get rid of my DA 16-50 and repalce with FA* 24 f2. Just a thought.

I need to stop!!!!

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-13-2009 at 03:24 AM.
08-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I call "dibs" on the Nokton!
08-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #3

OrenMC,

Fishy going ons with that bid. Look at the history. It looks like someone jacked the bid to $800, retracted, jacked it again to $755, retracted and then bidded $750. It almost looked like the seller used another account to jack the price, but retracted so that they were not stuck with the lense. I would look into this.

GC
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #4

That is so funny!! It sounds like something I would do!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
OrenMC,

Fishy going ons with that bid. Look at the history. It looks like someone jacked the bid to $800, retracted, jacked it again to $755, retracted and then bidded $750. It almost looked like the seller used another account to jack the price, but retracted so that they were not stuck with the lense. I would look into this.

GC
Yeah, you just don't "enter the wrong amount" twice within seconds!!! I was a seller on Ebay for a while and I have heard stories of people doing that a lot!! It is a shame!

08-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #5

I wonder if he can file a complaint and have his bid withdrawn. Justice would be serve if the seller had to eat an ebay seller's fee & still keep the lense. He should have had the sale for $200 less.
08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether you're crazy or not, the good news is you got a great lens. It always seems like an extravagant investment at first, but in the end, high-quality lenses always seem worth it.
08-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

having been around eBay, I had noticed that trend. item valued at 1 dollar would suddenly soar at 500 in the last day of bidding. if you would notice and check the bidding history, the same people seems to bid within minutes or hours and they didn't have anybody else to compete or outbid with. they are simply outbidding themselves or just jacking up the price. if it's the latter, then for sure that supposed buyer is no other than the seller himself.

a word of advise, make it a habit on checking out the bidding history before you bid an item. set your max bid and just wait if you won or not. do not try to outbid someone whom you suspect is a price jacker. it's not worth it if you get had for spending more that what the item is really worth.
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do infact like the idea of owning this lens but to have gotten it for $200 cheaper would have been nice.
I have done a little checking so we'll see whats up.

G Money, PM me if you are serious.

08-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Well, 750 is pretty good for this lens. And the other bidder has retracted 19 bids in the last 6 months, and bid on items from many different sellers, so he/she may just be an idiot. In any case, there's no way you were getting it for 550 - someone else would have bid.

Send some pics our way when you get it!
08-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

In regards to Oren's insanity...

I know what drives insanity. It is letting things fall into our hands. Today I handled and sot with the new DA 15/4 Limited.

Now I want one...REAL BAD...

Steve
08-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, 750 is pretty good for this lens. And the other bidder has retracted 19 bids in the last 6 months, and bid on items from many different sellers, so he/she may just be an idiot. In any case, there's no way you were getting it for 550 - someone else would have bid.

Send some pics our way when you get it!
Ya, you are right. someone else would heve bid. And of course you will see photos from this lens!
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In regards to Oren's insanity...

I know what drives insanity. It is letting things fall into our hands. Today I handled and sot with the new DA 15/4 Limited.

Now I want one...REAL BAD...

Steve
Good luck Steve
Next thing we'll know you will have DA 15/4 is your sig.

If you can afford it without too much of pinch. AND WILL USE IT!

I have halfheartedly made promises to myself before about behaving.
It really is going to be some time before I get another lens. I can afford it and will use it but I really do spend too much time obsessing on lenses.
08-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

750USD and you are still moaning?!?
I think that's agreat price considering the prices of new ones at the moment.
Anyway, enjoy it, it's a great lens

BR
Peter
08-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Congratulations on the win man. Sometimes I think I'll lose for sure because some people hack or something. I once bidded on a 55-300 and everytime, just every everytime I click to bid, like less than a half of a second later another person already bids higher than me. I really have no clue how they do it, but it's really unfair for people who aren't able to do the same. It also happened to me another time when I saw another 55-300 about to end. But to my luckiness, I tried on a Samsung version of the 12-24 again and this time I won for only 475 when someone didn't actually hack this time.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-13-2009 at 05:32 AM.
08-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Congratulations on the win man. Sometimes I think I'll lose for sure because some people hack or something. I once bidded on a 55-300 and everytime, just every everytime I click to bid, like less than a half of a second later another person already bids higher than me. I really have no clue how they do it, but it's really unfair for people who aren't able to do the same. It also happened to me another time when I saw another 55-300 about to end. But to my luckiness, I tried on a Samsung version of the 12-24 again and this time I won for only 475 when someone didn't actually hack this time.
Could be a couple of things:

Sniping - bidder is using an automated, external service to place their bid a few seconds before the auction ends. For example: Auction Sniper : eBay Sniper and eBay Bidding snipe, bid sniping for eBay or eSnipe - Bid on eBay Automatically - eSnipe 3.0

Automatic Bidding from eBay - Automatic bidding - which automatically increases your bid, up to your maximum amount, if another bidder bids on the auction.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
And the other bidder has retracted 19 bids in the last 6 months, and bid on items from many different sellers, so he/she may just be an idiot. In any case, there's no way you were getting it for 550 - someone else would have bid.
Same bidder has bid and retracted bids on two pentax lenses that I personally bid on recently. Possibly he's just trying to find the maximum amount that was bid. While it is unlikely that he's in cahoots with several different sellers, this could still be a case of shill bidding. This bidder has bid and then retracted bids on 4 recent Pentax lens auctions by that same seller quinbus. I've only ever seen this bidder win one auction (a different seller), and that lens was relisted a week later...
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The only way to win with eBay is to decide what is the maximum amount you would pay for an item, then bid that amount, if you lose, well then you didn't pay more than you were willing to, if you win, you got the item for what you believe is a fair price. Shill bidding and sniping is a pain in the ass, so avoid it by knowing the product and what you're willing to pay for it. Don't get caught up in last minute hype and decide that you just HAVE to HAVE that item - unless you really HAVE to HAVE it.....lol