Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you have, are about to have an SDM/HSM lens and how is it functioning?
I have, so far so good (with SDM camera). 9347.45%
I have, notable problems (Glitches, sometimes not working ,Slower or worse AF , had to service). 3718.88%
Don't have, but would buy someday / are about to buy (or no SDM camera). 2211.22%
Don't have and try to avoid. 3919.90%
Other (explain in thread). 52.55%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I know that's true. I think the K-x + DA*50-135 would be ultimate for my daughters B-ball games but I can't bring myself to put down that kind of cash for an iffy lens.
Don't feel bad dadi. I have shot a lot of basketball with different lenses and the 50-135 was the most difficult for that application. Even when sdm is working the focus is very slow. You have to do a lot of "old school" sports shooting tricks to get the best shots, like prefocussing etc. I get much better results with a pentax prime.

01-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Don't feel bad dadi. I have shot a lot of basketball with different lenses and the 50-135 was the most difficult for that application. Even when sdm is working the focus is very slow. You have to do a lot of "old school" sports shooting tricks to get the best shots, like prefocussing etc. I get much better results with a pentax prime.
Thanks for that--I feel way better I've been using my F 50mm 1.7--it's a tad short but performs very well.
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Thanks for that--I feel way better I've been using my F 50mm 1.7--it's a tad short but performs very well.
that lens is the fastest AF I have, next to the FA35/2. actually those two are really great when it comes to AF. anyway, I think an FA135 would be a great alternative and investment, eventhough it lacks versatility but very useful and very fast when used in such occasions. much cheaper too. but if you want versatility, the Tammy 70-200/2.8 zoom would be much better. it's cheap as well. as far as it's AF goes, I dunno how it would work on the k-x, but people say that the lens AF is fast on the K-7.
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've seen relatively few reports of SDM problems in the last 6-8 months, so i think the problem has been fixed.
I guess you haven't been reading the forums where people have been complaining about SDM failures. In the last 6-8 months, the number of reports seems to have accelerated. Did you see Peter's thread from just today?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86274-ok-shoul...ce-o-crap.html

How about this one from a few days ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85563-uh-oh-i-...-problems.html

How about this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/83743-superson...s-failure.html

This one?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84963-fed-up-s...ip-thread.html

Someone is keeping a running tally of SDM complaints and threads at DPR. Shall we go on?

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Call me old school, if I can avoid it I will never buy a motor driven lens.
01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Call me old school, if I can avoid it I will never buy a motor driven lens.
That is true in the Pentax mount. All Canon EOS lenses since 1987 are motor driven, yet you don't read about widespread failures. Therefore, it can be done successfully.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-10-2010 at 12:14 AM.
01-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Pentax has been using small micromotor in their SDM lenses, similar to the micro USM found in cheaper and smaller Canon lenses. Perhaps if they opted to go with a ring type ultrasonic motor design, whereby the rotor and stator are surrounding the lens barrel, we would see more reliable and quicker focusing SDM lenses. However using a ring type design might possibly mean abandoning screw drive capability completely, which will probably get the legacy lens users up in arms. Not a enviable solution for Pentax.
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax has been using small micromotor in their SDM lenses, similar to the micro USM found in cheaper and smaller Canon lenses. Perhaps if they opted to go with a ring type ultrasonic motor design, whereby the rotor and stator are surrounding the lens barrel, we would see more reliable and quicker focusing SDM lenses. However using a ring type design might possibly mean abandoning screw drive capability completely, which will probably get the legacy lens users up in arms. Not a enviable solution for Pentax.
Excellent points. I could agree completely with that if it wasn't for one fact: the 17-70 SDM. It has no screw drive, so Pentax has abandoned the screw drive capability for that lens. I suspect new SDM lenses will also abandon screw drive as well. Therefore, there should be no reason not to go the ring-drive route.

Canon put ring-drive USM in their lenses in 1987. I still do not understand why Pentax hasn't gone that direction? Canon abandoned screw drive when they went to EOS in 1987. All their lenses have motors.

From Wikipedia:
"The bayonet-style EF lens mount is at the center of the EOS camera system. Breaking compatibility with the earlier FD mount, it was designed with no mechanical linkages between moving parts in the lens and in the camera. The aperture and focus are controlled via electrical contacts, with motors in the lens itself."

Also, I have been silently browsing the Canon forums recently, and I don't believe I have read complaints about even the cheap micromotor USM lenses failing.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-10-2010 at 12:09 AM.
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I just happened to see a thread on one of the Nikon forums at DP about abandoning the screw drive totally in favor of going to strickly USM (I tried looking but can't find it at the moment, it might of been in the D40 or one of the other non-screw camera forums), it looked like 99% of the members nixed it.
I just hope that Pentax never builds a camera without a built in motor.
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I guess you haven't been reading the forums where people have been complaining about SDM failures. In the last 6-8 months, the number of reports seems to have accelerated. Did you see Peter's thread from just today?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86274-ok-shoul...ce-o-crap.html

How about this one from a few days ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85563-uh-oh-i-...-problems.html

How about this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/83743-superson...s-failure.html

This one?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84963-fed-up-s...ip-thread.html

Someone is keeping a running tally of SDM complaints and threads at DPR. Shall we go on?
I am not saying here that there is not a problem, what I would like to point out is that when there is a problem with a lens or camera people will come on board and report it and or ask for assistance regarding faults and other problems

I think the results here in the poll show there are a number of happy users and that there would be a far greater amount of happy users that never visit and you could say vice versa.

If I cared to look I could find here within this forum a number of threads on Pentax Camera failures where they had to be returned and a new one replaced... yet here we are all Pentax users.

I have been very lucky so far with both camera and lens issues and just love both camera and lenses made by Pentax. I do feel for those who do run into problems and I hope Pentax can minimise issues with SDM.

I dont think its a design fault.. otherwise it would effect every SDM lens.. well thats my line of thinking.

cheers

Neil
01-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Found this post while searching the net... thought it interesting.

Source SDM problem: could it be thick lube? - Photo.net Pentax Forum

QuoteQuote:
The failure of SDM lenses I've read is the incorrect installation of a simple plastic part inside the lens, causing the focus drive shaft to at first bind and later cause SDM motor failure. I read the same identical plastic part is used in its repair and as a precaution a new sdm unit is installed during the $250-$350 repair. I've read of a few owners on their 2nd and 3rd repaired SDM lenses. The repair seems to last a year or so and can take 3 months to have done. Then others have never had a problem. Seems to boil down to whether your lens' little plasic part was properly installed and properly tightned down.

Is quiet autofocus function gained with SDM technology worth the hassle? For me, its not. New or used I'll pass on it. Then again for me I added other imaging brands so I'm not limited by one company's products.

Pentax dslrs can be many things to many different owners. I like K20D to drive old glass, and my three tamron adaptall two lenses.
01-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Excellent points. I could agree completely with that if it wasn't for one fact: the 17-70 SDM. It has no screw drive, so Pentax has abandoned the screw drive capability for that lens. I suspect new SDM lenses will also abandon screw drive as well. Therefore, there should be no reason not to go the ring-drive route.

Canon put ring-drive USM in their lenses in 1987. I still do not understand why Pentax hasn't gone that direction? Canon abandoned screw drive when they went to EOS in 1987. All their lenses have motors.

From Wikipedia:
"The bayonet-style EF lens mount is at the center of the EOS camera system. Breaking compatibility with the earlier FD mount, it was designed with no mechanical linkages between moving parts in the lens and in the camera. The aperture and focus are controlled via electrical contacts, with motors in the lens itself."

Also, I have been silently browsing the Canon forums recently, and I don't believe I have read complaints about even the cheap micromotor USM lenses failing.
And our cherished legacy goes bye-bye? Our AF screw mount lenses will only be MF?
If this is the case Pentax should do the same thing Canon has done, just change the whole mounting system so everyone has to buy new AF lenses for their new cameras (or buy a crippled half baked adaptor that will not focus to infinity)
I'm so sure that Pentax has such a great market percentage to do such a thing.
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

According to your signature line, you have a K10D, which despite some of its advantages, was not known for its AF strength. When i upgraded to a K20D, i noticed a significant improvement in AF in even my slow 18-250.

I've been quite happy with the AF performance of the 50-135 on my K20, and the K20 is not even the latest technology.
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I am not saying here that there is not a problem, what I would like to point out is that when there is a problem with a lens or camera people will come on board and report it and or ask for assistance regarding faults and other problems

I think the results here in the poll show there are a number of happy users and that there would be a far greater amount of happy users that never visit and you could say vice versa.

If I cared to look I could find here within this forum a number of threads on Pentax Camera failures where they had to be returned and a new one replaced... yet here we are all Pentax users.

I have been very lucky so far with both camera and lens issues and just love both camera and lenses made by Pentax. I do feel for those who do run into problems and I hope Pentax can minimise issues with SDM.

I dont think its a design fault.. otherwise it would effect every SDM lens.. well thats my line of thinking.

cheers

Neil
Neil, you are entitled to your line of thinking. but the thing is, people did already report such matter to Pentax. some of them got a replacement twice or more within a year, some weren't because their lenses died right after their warranty expired. but the saddest thing is that the Pentax never affirm that there is an existing problems with the lenses. the technical service staff are of no help and cant even provide an explanation why such thing happened and makes you just wonder why.

if you knew Peter Zack, he is one of the firmest and strongest believers of Pentax SDMs and was very happy on how his SDM works, until his SDM got fried. that is his replacement copy btw.

it would be a sad thing if we are going to depend on luck as if lens failure is inevitable.

I may not switch brand just yet because of SDM failures, but Pentax is lucky to have someone like Tamron and Sigma to provide an alternative. otherwise, we could have seen a large horde gathering for the exodus by now.
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
According to your signature line, you have a K10D, which despite some of its advantages, was not known for its AF strength. When i upgraded to a K20D, i noticed a significant improvement in AF in even my slow 18-250.

I've been quite happy with the AF performance of the 50-135 on my K20, and the K20 is not even the latest technology.

That is really funny. Until yesterday, that signature line had a K-7 in it, along with several other Pentax lenses, flashes, etc.. I'll change my sig back in your honor. I have owned a k10d, k20d, k-7, and a bunch more Pentax film bodies and lenses going back to the 1980's. As I posted in Peter's thread, I have scaled back my Pentax gear to the k10d my MX, and a few lenses.

IMO if you are happy with the focus speed of the 50-135 (which I also owned two copies of, before SDM failure in each) then you have never tried the competition.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.