Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you have, are about to have an SDM/HSM lens and how is it functioning?
I have, so far so good (with SDM camera). 9347.45%
I have, notable problems (Glitches, sometimes not working ,Slower or worse AF , had to service). 3718.88%
Don't have, but would buy someday / are about to buy (or no SDM camera). 2211.22%
Don't have and try to avoid. 3919.90%
Other (explain in thread). 52.55%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 05:34 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is definitely a poorly designed part issue. My 16-50 did exactly what Wheatfield described, except that I used mine a lot. After about three months, it started having difficulty getting focus and finally, the motors in the lens reached the place where they couldn't move the lens elements. You could hear them trying, but they just couldn't do it. There was no dropping incident, I didn't go on a trip to the Arctic, they just wore out. I have had the lens back for 4 months and it doesn't have the issues from before.

I don't expect in lens motors to last forever, but they certainly should last five years.

01-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The SDM Issues pretty much make weather sealing in Pentax bodies irellevant

Having purchased ONE SDM lens when I bought all my Pentax gear back in July and having that lense suffer a AF crib death...I then read about the reported problems and the obvious contrarians who blow off anything which never happened to them...so, I opened one thread and let it go...but I also know I am NOT buying another SDM anytime in the near or, perhaps far future.

But the key here is because of the inability to count on an SDM lense with there always being a doubt if, will today be the day mine dies, but because of that doubt which it always be there, I see zero point in considering a weather sealed Pentax DSLR body relevant in any way because, well, the lenses which are sealed and supposed to be the best line from Pentax, they are the ones failing. This then extends to the sealed body not being worth a crap when comparing bodies between brands. That HURTS the Pentax brand.

I will say right now, were it not for the limiteds I have now as well as the lense I miss the most, by far, the 35ltd, I would dump Pentax simply because there has been nothing, in the 6-7 months I have owned Pentax gear, from Pentax to acknowledge there are issues. I mean the cons are really tilting toward not buying into Pentax for new users if the only sealed lenses what seem to be OK, so far, are the DA kit lenses...I mean gimme a break. In fact I have a trip to Yosemite planned the first week of April, my first vacation in over 12yrs and I had given thought to a new DA* since I have no idea what weather we will have, maybe a 300 or 60-250 for the trip...but I am not dropping $1200+ on a lense which might crap out at any time and ruin a part of the fun of the vacation by adding the worry over a camera lens. Plus with the large-ish number of reported issues and the total denial by silence from HoyaTax, the resale value of a 8+ month old SDM lense, well it's not going to be high, I know I would deduct a good $300 from the price I would be willing to pay considering I might have to pop for a $300+ repair at any moment if I wanted to keep the lense...right now I would not pay over $350 for another 50-135 used. And yes, there are people who never had an issue, but well, there are enough who have and I know I had one fail pretty much right out of the box, a whole 17-days after I received it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is definitely a poorly designed part issue. My 16-50 did exactly what Wheatfield described, except that I used mine a lot. After about three months, it started having difficulty getting focus and finally, the motors in the lens reached the place where they couldn't move the lens elements. You could hear them trying, but they just couldn't do it. There was no dropping incident, I didn't go on a trip to the Arctic, they just wore out. I have had the lens back for 4 months and it doesn't have the issues from before.

I don't expect in lens motors to last forever, but they certainly should last five years.
Not picking on your comment but using it as a perfect example of Pentax shooters being forced to settle, and I mean settle by lowering expectations. For the premium charged and claim of the DA* line to be serious pro line lenses, for a hobby user I would expect pretty much a 10+ life span for the SDM system in a lense, I mean after taking into account most hobby shooters are not shooting 40k+ shots a year and are probably not as rough with their gear as a pro shooter, though many hobbyists will shoot as many yet even then 5yrs is not close to what I would expect if Pentax wants to be considered a real SLR type camera maker again. But right now, they are spiraling down toward being a Walmart brand...perhaps the K-x is a sign of where in the market the new HoyaTax (face it that is the brand now) feels they can compete rather than in the better more advanced DSLR market.

I am curious, when was the last time we read about a screw-drive motor failing? Or the in lense screw-drive AF gearing failing other than after a nasty drop or smack.

I like my wonderful limiteds but the lack of movement in addressing SDM concerns has me reconsidering the move even if it means spending more on lenses, BUT I can buy used USM lenses w/o near the concern I have with NEW SDM lenses...I have zero problem considering this a failed experiment....but the 35ltd alone is keeping me here.

If Sigma came out with a new version of their EX lenses, I might not worry, but for now, one of the major reasons I moved to Pentax, affordable weather sealing in lenses and bodies, is rendered pointless to the point of being a negative since I can't take advantage without a pretty pricey roll of the dice for a DA*
01-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
The SDM Issues pretty much make weather sealing in Pentax bodies irellevant
Do you mean that the weather sealing is meant to only protect the SDM motor?

If you get sand and water in your lens, it's more difficult to salvage the lens than to replace its motor. You can still take pictures if the motor dies--it doesn't blow up and break the glass. If water or sand gets inside your lens and/or camera, that could be a bit more problematic.

BTW, playing the SDM roulette, I have 50% success rate...so far...
01-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Do you mean that the weather sealing is meant to only protect the SDM motor?

If you get sand and water in your lens, it's more difficult to salvage the lens than to replace its motor. You can still take pictures if the motor dies--it doesn't blow up and break the glass. If water or sand gets inside your lens and/or camera, that could be a bit more problematic.

BTW, playing the SDM roulette, I have 50% success rate...so far...
I am going to pretend that is a serious question...so the answer is no. It means, gawds I cannot believe this needs explaining, but it means WTF is the point of having a sealed body then the ONLY sealed lenses have a horrendeous failure rate...and to further point out the obvious, the DA* SDM lenses are almost all more expensive than the sealed bodies.

01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #95
Veteran Member

I am going to pretend that is a serious question...so the answer is no. It means, gawds I cannot believe this needs explaining, but it means WTF is the point of having a sealed body then the ONLY sealed lenses have a horrendeous failure rate...and to further point out the obvious, the DA* SDM lenses are almost all more expensive than the sealed bodies.
You say no, but then you continue as if you meant yes. The glass itself isn't failing.
01-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #96
Veteran Member

You say no, but then you continue as if you meant yes. The glass itself isn't failing.
oh, jeebus keywryst...why even bother...reading comprehension is a requirement.
01-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #97
Veteran Member

You said "WTF is the point of having a sealed body then the ONLY sealed lenses have a horrendeous failure rate". I explained to you the point. Reading comprehension of sheer nonsense is impossible, by definition.
01-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #98
Veteran Member

You said "WTF is the point of having a sealed body then the ONLY sealed lenses have a horrendeous failure rate". I explained to you the point. Reading comprehension of sheer nonsense is impossible, by definition.
only in Canada apparently. BTW, there was one error then=when, but fromt hecontext even you should have been able to determine there was a typo, though it has nothing to do with ...of cripes, never mind.

01-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #99
Veteran Member

only in Canada apparently. BTW, there was one error then-when, but fromt hecontext even you should have been able to determine there was a typo, though it has nothing to do with ...of cripes, never mind.
No, not only in Canada. Your rant is universally nonsensical.

Last edited by asdf; 01-25-2010 at 09:39 AM.
01-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #100
Site Supporter

The cost of servicing the lens is exaggerated. Most people report having the cost of replacing SDM as 70 dollars. Most professionals plan to have their lenses serviced on a periodic basis anyway, so it isn't the end of the world. Of course I want my SDM to last for ever, I am just saying that I could tolerate getting my lens serviced periodically, as long as it wasn't really expensive and was infrequent.

And I guarantee there are failure rates with in lens motors for both Nikon and Canon after 5 years. I don't know what their rates are, but any time you deal with electronics, there are failures.
01-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #101
Pentaxian

A bit of an over reaction, methinks.
My 60-250 AF failed.
It will get fixed.
If it fails again, it will get fixed again.
If it failed on me in the field, I still have manual focus available.
As for the cost of the things, the SDM isn't the only component in these things.
The glass is very good indeed, and the weather sealing should ensure that it stays good on the inside.
I'm not happy about the failure of my lens, but it isn't the end of the world.
And it certainly isn't worth dumping the brand over.
YMMV
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I got an idea. why don't Pentax just eliminate the SDM feature and just make it a screwdrive lens and sell it for $450-$500 (price hike would make this a $700-$800 lens) or since the existing SDM zooms are crap, and their screwdrive and SDM are deemed unusable, Pentax should just consider them as manual focus "A" type lenses and sell them for $200-$250 (maybe up to $300-$350). if Pentax does this, then I'm in and I won't care about the limited 1 year warranty anymore.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-25-2010 at 02:30 PM.
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #103

I guess this post will just pour more fuel on the fire, but I will make it anyway, so bear with me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Canon has been making ring motor AF lenses for some 25 years now with very low failure rates. I don't recall ever hearing of an AF failure from Canon while I was selling their equipment.
I don't think a 5% failure rate in 5 years is reasonable, I'd call that a technology fail.
Pentax is flogging this stuff to a group of people who tend to be outdoors a lot taking pictures and not necessarily babying their gear, hence weather sealing and the like.
I know that forums such as this tend to garner the attention of people who have equipment problems more than people who don't, but there are still too many reports of SDM failure to believe that Pentax has put a reliable technology onto the market with SDM AF.
I don't own any SDM lenses yet and know that I would be pissed if one failed. However, a failure rate of ≤ 5% is not very high when dealing with hightech electronics. You can also find a lot of threads about USM and SWM lenses failing, I just guess that Canikon owners have gotten used to it. Pentax could go back to just use the screwdrive, but then you know that a lot of people would come in here and complain about the lack of AF-motors in Pentax-lenses, so I guess it's a no win situation… unless Pentax releases firmwares that allow selection of either screwdrive or SDM.

QuoteQuote:
So far, this poll is showing a 30% failure rate.
That's pretty bad.
I've seen it said before, but this is a typical example of selection bias.

Oh well… I guess i can join the unfortunate SDM-club once I gather up the cash for a DA* 50-135 in the future… looking forward to it (not).

Edit: Damn, searching for USM/SWM failures brings up a lot of threads with the same content as the SDM threads around here, just replace Pentax with Canon or Nikon. Seems like the camera/lens manufacturers have decided to build stuff with parts that will fail after "length of warranty + 1 week" so that they can collect a lot of money on repairs.

Last edited by joakimfors; 01-25-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added content
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #104
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Most professionals plan to have their lenses serviced on a periodic basis anyway, so it isn't the end of the world.
These aren't professional lenses we're talking about.

And I guarantee there are failure rates with in lens motors for both Nikon and Canon after 5 years. I don't know what their rates are, but any time you deal with electronics, there are failures.
The failures in the Pentax SDM lenses are after 1 year (or less) not 5 years.
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Not "professional lenses", but definately the cream of the Pentax crop. They should last longer than the warranty period. The warranty period isn't a statement of quality or durability, it's simply when Pentax gets to wash their hands of any problems.

Here's something else I was thinking about regarding SDM failures.

We see a large number of people reporting problems here, but forums like this on the internet is where many people turn for advice/repair info. So it goes without saying that there will be a lot of failure reports here.

Now, the concerning thing is this: people are having two or three failures. Sometimes one or more of their SDM lenses fail, and sometimes the replacement lens also fails. I wouldn't be so alarmed if we just heard a lot of complaints, but I am alarmed that there are multiple and repeat failures by the same person.