Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you have, are about to have an SDM/HSM lens and how is it functioning?
I have, so far so good (with SDM camera). 9347.45%
I have, notable problems (Glitches, sometimes not working ,Slower or worse AF , had to service). 3718.88%
Don't have, but would buy someday / are about to buy (or no SDM camera). 2211.22%
Don't have and try to avoid. 3919.90%
Other (explain in thread). 52.55%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Not "professional lenses", but definately the cream of the Pentax crop.
Which lenses are we talking about? DA* lenses are professional lenses. It may surprise people on the forums, but pros even use Tokina, Tamron and Sigma lenses. I know. I know. I'm flabbergasted, too.

01-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #107
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
...but definately the cream of the Pentax crop.
I think that is very much the crux of the matter. People have been coming up with statistics and saying that the failure rate is what one would expect when it comes to electronics. But people (reasonably I think) expect a much lower failure rate from the 'cream of the Pentax crop'.

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Which lenses are we talking about? DA* lenses are professional lenses. It may surprise people on the forums, but pros even use Tokina, Tamron and Sigma lenses. I know. I know. I'm flabbergasted, too.
Let's split the difference and call them 'prosumer grade'.
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Edit: Damn, searching for USM/SWM failures brings up a lot of threads with the same content as the SDM threads around here, just replace Pentax with Canon or Nikon. Seems like the camera/lens manufacturers have decided to build stuff with parts that will fail after "length of warranty + 1 week" so that they can collect a lot of money on repairs.
Sorry, nice try, but I am calling BS on this. I just typed in "USM failure" as you suggested, on the largest Canon forum on the net. Not one report of USM failure in the top 50 search return posts. I haven't tried Nikon, but I'll bet it will be the same story. Canon has been doing USM for 25 years, and all Canon lenses made since then are USM (The good ones ring-type, the cheaper models, ultrasonic micromotor).

I have been browsing the Canon forums for a few months every once and a while to see what things were like there, and I still haven't read a report of USM failure that wasn't due to lens damage. There are 239,349 members there, and 9,331,353 posts, so I think it is a pretty good sample size. That is 10 times larger than our forum here, where posts about SDM failures are almost as common as "what lens should I get?" Nope, USM failure is not a common Canon problem. There are other things Canon fans complain about, but USM is not one of them.

Look, I am still a big Pentax fan, but I have become even more anti-fanboy than Gary. I am just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-25-2010 at 05:57 PM.
01-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the closest equipment failure that we can compare the SDM zooms would be the XBOX 360's 3 ring of death.

01-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Look, I am still a big Pentax fan, but I have become even more anti-fanboy than Gary. I am just callin' 'em like I see 'em.
Maybe, I'm crazy but the mechanical parts of lenses should last couple of decades. I'm happy with my 30 year old lenses...

Hey, maybe start a blog about SDM motors. RiceHigh is still a fan of Pentax...and maybe an anti-fanboy in a different sense, when he's in a bad mood. Poor QC and inaccurate auto-exposure set him off on his crusade, as far as I remember.
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #111
Forum Member

What worries me here is:
27 people have had problems (and I am sure that most people on this forum with SDM issues were drawn to this poll like bees to the honey pot).
But a whopping 32 people now try to avoid SDM lenses.

SDM lenses, especially the early ones, most likely had their issues, and Pentax is the only one who could give us real numbers.
I am just wondering if current edition SDM lenses are really that bad, considering that quite a few people never have issues.

An analogon would be - I generally recommend staying from Dell laptops, because I have had 3 laptops through work, all Dell, all three had issues. (One had a hard disk die, the other a graphic card, the third would crash if no external mouse but an internal CD drive was hooked in -- This was actually reproducible, and I put the internal floppy in its place, and it never crashed in that config.). But I am sure that many people have absolutely no issues with Dell laptops, and also that those who buy today do not have the same issues as I had a few years back.
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #112
Damn Brit

I guess the question is (in my best Dirty Harry voice)
"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

QuoteOriginally posted by Diffusion Quote
What worries me here is:
27 people have had problems (and I am sure that most people on this forum with SDM issues were drawn to this poll like bees to the honey pot).

SDM lenses, especially the early ones, most likely had their issues, and Pentax is the only one who could give us real numbers.
I am just wondering if current edition SDM lenses are really that bad, considering that quite a few people never have issues.

An analogon would be - I generally recommend staying from Dell laptops, because I have had 3 laptops through work, all Dell, all three had issues. (One had a hard disk die, the other a graphic card, the third would crash if no external mouse but an internal CD drive was hooked in -- This was actually reproducible, and I put the internal floppy in its place, and it never crashed in that config.). But I am sure that many people have absolutely no issues with Dell laptops, and also that those who buy today do not have the same issues as I had a few years back.

02-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What worries me here is:

I guess Dell did something to correct those problems. we just hope that Pentax does the same instead of ignoring it.
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What worries me here is:
One of the avoiders was me, probably. I thought about it a lot, because I am bowled over by the IQ of my DA*50 - 135, but, because of the threads here about SDM problems, I worry quite a bit about the lens. That should never happen with pro gear.

But there is, in truth, another more important reason. At my level of development, I should not be buying pro quality lenses in the first place. Any of the others (DA series) would suit me just fine and they are excellent lenses too, probably better than my talents deserve. The DA*50-135 was an impulse buy ... at that time I had more money than brains, and there it was, sitting on the shelf, winking at me. I love the lens, but I am not nearly good enough for it or any of the other "stars". So, common sense tells me (twice over), avoid the DA* series.
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Any of the others (DA series) would suit me just fine and they are excellent lenses too, probably better than my talents deserve.
Mediocre lenses won't improve your talents, either.
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's just the kind of encouragement I need!
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
That's just the kind of encouragement I need!
Heh. I didn't mean anything bad by it. Slow and blurry lenses won't improve anybody's skills, neither will sharp fast lenses, but with the slow blurry ones you'll get more eye strain.
02-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

The opposite is actually true.
Better equipment makes better pictures, no matter what the skill level of the photographer is.
02-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The opposite is actually true.
Better equipment makes better pictures, no matter what the skill level of the photographer is.
No doubt.

10char.
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #120
Veteran Member

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking 'did he send back six lenses or only five?' Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement."