Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Help fixing this Pentax-M 50mm F2

Just got myself a Pentax-M 50mm F2 and I realized that it has 2 problems, not sure if they are related:

1)The aperture ring is very loose and no click sound when I turn it, when I take it apart, it seems like the small metal ball is not there anymore.

2)When I adjust the focus, the lens will eventually come apart as the front part of the lens will be completely screw off. What stops the front part from being completely screw off in a good lens?

Repair experts, is there a way that I can try to fix this myself??

Last edited by protocold; 08-13-2009 at 12:12 AM.
08-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had a few Pentax lenses taken apart, so I wouldn't hesitate... if I had a parts lens.
However I can't picture that bearing being easy to find.

In my opinion, you'd be better off just watching Craigslist, or even placing an add there looking for something like a Pentax MZ, which I believe came with that lens.
You might find a complete camera for next to nothing, with a good copy of that lens on.

They are good lenses, however they're worth next to nothing. I've had 2 given to me, and given one away to someone else. I use the second one, reversed for closeup work quite often.
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bearings are available from Micro-Tools. I think this is the right size:

Ball Bearings, 1.5mm Package of 5 - Part #: BB-1-5M

There is a stop that keeps the focus ring from turning too far. In some lenses this is just an innocent-looking screw. I have to look at my old photos for disassembly pictures of this lens to see. I know the 50/2s are different than the 50/1.7 I have now.
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Would appreciate much if you can find the picture of the innocent-looking screw..