Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter

James-

Re the possibility of poor quality control with this lens, I was concerned about the perfomance of my copy at f4 and below on distant scenes so I sent it back to Cosina to be checked out. They retested it and advised that it was within specifications, so I am now satisfied that mine is as good as it should be.

My tests were run with reasonable care but without multiple trials, so it's distinctly possible that there is some sampling error present. I'm reassured by the PhotoZone test results - thanks for posting them.

05-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
As I posted in the "other" Pentax Forum, my copy displays f2.4 on the LCD screen when wide open on my *ist-D and K10D, so the behavior Frank is seeing is not the norm.
Well, actually there are three guys here in Singapore who bought the same lens at the same time, and all three copies have the same 'problem' - can only open up to F3.5
05-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Hi Rob.

While I'd love to get those last Voigtländer SL lenses while they are still available I have enough on my hands trying to complete my Pentax prime collection! It would be nice to see some comparisons of the SL 90 mm vs the Pentax A*85, and the SL 180mm vs, the A*200. I'd also like to see a comparison of the SL 75mm with the FA77.

Too bad Cosina has dropped these interesting and unique lenses...
I'll let you know when mine come in! They're expected in VERY late summer (Stephen says as late as September/October!) If your collection includes the above, maybe we can arrange for me to let you borrow them and make some comparisons! Gandy says he'll have a good supply on hand, so if we can hook up on the comparisons, then members interested in acquiring these soon to be rare birds will have an opportunity to add them to their collection. I've asked Gandy to keep an eye out for the 75mm as well! Let me know if you want to do it, and other forum members can chime in as well if you'd like to see us run a test series on these.
Rob W
05-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Did a quick test w/ my friend's VL125, several days back, it's a very nice lens indeed. Here are two testing shots w/ K10D and flash:

These are probably the only macro photos I took over the past year, really need to practise more to get good photos ...

05-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Did a quick test w/ my friend's VL125, several days back, it's a very nice lens indeed. Here are two testing shots w/ K10D and flash:

These are probably the only macro photos I took over the past year, really need to practise more to get good photos ...
Wow, the colour is great with smooth creamy bokeh, Frank.

I just received my copy today in which a quick test of the lens revealing the same fact you had been mentioning about. The aperture does not go below f3.5 which kinds of makes me wonder what is going on.

I already pm the seller in singapore who claimed they already made an enquiry with the cosina engineer regarding this issue.

Cheers

James
05-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, the colour is great with smooth creamy bokeh, Frank.

I just received my copy today in which a quick test of the lens revealing the same fact you had been mentioning about. The aperture does not go below f3.5 which kinds of makes me wonder what is going on.

I already pm the seller in singapore who claimed they already made an enquiry with the cosina engineer regarding this issue.

Cheers

James
Thanks James. I think we got the lens from the same seller Hope he's gonna sort this issue out soon.

It's a great lens nevertheless. Hope to see your LBA post soon.

Cheers!
05-21-2007, 04:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The aperture does not go below f3.5 which kinds of makes me wonder what is going on.
but as I understand it is still works in manual mode?
05-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
but as I understand it is still works in manual mode?
Yes. In manual mode, the aperture does not go below f3.5...

p.s. the bokeh is just so smooth and creamy. I am really really amazed by its images. Of course at f3.5

05-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm one of those with the so called f3.5 problem. Cosina has acknowledge there was a assembly fault and mine is going back to Japan.
Here's some shots taken with a K100D

05-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got the notice from the seller as well - sending mine to be re-assembled I guess

Cheers

p.s. The bokeh is so beautiful from this lens