Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, Pentax Japan fixded my 33-55/4.5 zoom lens. It was almost broken i two after a drop accident (the camera was beyond repair). Pentax Europe had three attemps to repair it but gave up; it was decentered - right side of image unsharp. It was sent to Japan; was away for six months (I got a loaner lens) and it came back as good as new. It is possible....
Exactly. Your lens was fixed in the Japan headquarter which was well equiped, plus they did their best to serve the customers as always.

08-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Unfortunately, it seems that threads like this only attract those who have had a bad experience with their copy of the lens. Mine is about two months old and I've shot my best landscapes with it, no issues whatsoever. I think you will find that the "silent-but-happy" owners probably far outweigh those unsatisfied with their copy. I think the takeaway here is that you should buy your lens from someone who will take it back when you're not happy with it ... but that is true for any expensive gear you buy.
I think thats a really good point germar, the people who dislike the product are much quicker to complain about it then the ones who have great copies are to brag about it. I'm still waiting on my nikon 18-200mm to sell on ebay before I can reinvest into a 16-50mm (I'm brand changing). But once I make the purchase I'll let you all know how it comes out. Thanks for all the responses!
08-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it seems that threads like this only attract those who have had a bad experience with their copy of the lens. Mine is about
QuoteQuote:
two months old and I've shot my best landscapes with it, no issues whatsoever. I think you will find that the "silent-but-happy" owners probably far outweigh those unsatisfied with their copy. I think the takeaway here is that you should buy your lens from someone who will take it back when you're not happy with it ... but that is true for any expensive gear you buy.

That said, this particular lens *does* seem to have a less-than-stellar quality control reputation ... I might not be buying one "as-is" off of ebay in the coming years.

Regards,

germar
I agree re unhappy owners.

I have this lens and try not to be a silent majority about how great it is

We should as I have suggested before start a DA* 16-50 thread diplaying photos such as the great one you posted here

cheers

Neil
08-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
So, what is it exactly that varies in lenses with QC issues? Is it the manufacturing or material of the actual optical lenses? Can the individual lenses be positioned falsely at assembly phase? Something else??
Pentax optical glass is among the best, so no fault there.
However I remember reading somewhere that the gears were made from some of the cheapest plastics imaginable. I hope that Tokina changed this. The person whom made the discovery worked in some shop, where he was able to make his own reproduction gears. He said the lens worked better than new after that.

QuoteQuote:
Also, if one gets a good lens, is there a risk that it goes sour without dropping or other severe physical abuse?
There have been reports of some lenses packing it in, without any abuse. However this is normal for everyone. motors and gears do wear out with use.

08-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
...We should as I have suggested before start a DA* 16-50 thread diplaying photos such as the great one you posted here...
You mean like this one?

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
...There have been reports of some lenses packing it in, without any abuse. However this is normal for everyone. motors and gears do wear out with use.
My first copy died a slow dead on me after the 3rd month. Hardly normal wear.
My second copy is still going strong.
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by nulla View Post

...We should as I have suggested before start a DA* 16-50 thread diplaying photos such as the great one you posted here...

You mean like this one?
Hey thanks Bart... I reckon I had viewed that before, I should have looked myself.

Worth bumping that thread again... must look for some shots.

... edit, just noticed its in the Photos sections.. could do with a thread in the Lens area

cheers

Neil
08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

IMO, I think many of the problems are design flaws, not necessarily QC issues. I have had to send back the 16-50 three times, and the 50-135 once.

There are no more Pentax SDM (Soon Doomed to Manual, Sometimes Doesn't Move, [insert your own SDM joke here]) lenses on my purchase list until something significant changes with thier design.
08-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
IMO, I think many of the problems are design flaws, not necessarily QC issues. I have had to send back the 16-50 three times, and the 50-135 once.

There are no more Pentax SDM (Soon Doomed to Manual, Sometimes Doesn't Move, [insert your own SDM joke here]) lenses on my purchase list until something significant changes with their design.
I don't think posts asking about a lens draws out the doom sayers anymore than it draws out the lens fanboys. You can get a really good idea about a lens just by asking on these forums IMO. Ask how bad is the Sigma 17-70mm QC and see what type of response you get. Ask the same for the DA16-45mm (on par with Sigma). I think people who never had problems, read of others not having problem just can't believe so many do have problems. IMO there for sure was a serious issue with the DA*16-50mm, the complaints have gone down because the K20D which who ever can afford a DA*16-50mm will have probably bought can AF fine tune those lens. Now the sudden failure of SDM motors. I don't think people are being negative and ranting, I think there is a problem in fact when I tried a DA*50-135mm at the shop it took a long time and a couple bodies to get the SDM to work, it would work and stop working, then work... I have seen it and believe it.

08-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think to instill confidence it might be a good idea for pentax to offer free repair on SDM... until they can imprve the deisgn of the SDM motor. My 2c