Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

16-50mm DA* Quality Control in August 2009?

I know there been a LOT of talk about the QC of the pentax 16-50mm. I am about to buy a k20d and was planning on getting the 18-55mm WR, but figured I might as well step up to the more professional quality 16-50mm. Almost all of the QC talk I've seen have been in 2008 and I'm curious if anyone would know if they currently produced lenses are any better? If not is there an easily returnable store I could get a couple until I get a good one? or should I stick with my original plan and get the 18-55mm WR? Thanks in advance!

And sorry if this is posted somewhere else, I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

08-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are still some issues occasionally with this lens. I received one yesterday from B&H that was defective. It's on its way back to New York (I live in California) today because of decentering. I'm not that concerned about the fact that I got a bad one, figured it was a possibility when I ordered it, so I bought it from a reputable dealer. I would have preferred to buy locally, where I could try it in the store, but no one carries Pentax in SoCal at the moment.

On the other hand, which lens you should buy partly depends on what you are planning on shooting, and partly on your own taste in image quality. I was perfectly happy with my version 1 kit lens until I bought a couple of really good lenses and the K20. Then I gradually became aware of the extra dimension one gets when they shoot with a top quality lens and I began to want a better quality lens. It's entirely possible that you might be perfectly content with the WR kit lens, especially if you are shooting in good light all the time.
08-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I got my 16-50 serviced by Pentax early 2009 for unsharp, decentering, etc. In less than a years time my SDM has now failed me. It might be more a knock on SDM than the lens. The 16-50 itself is a good lens, but I've lost my faith in the SDM system of Pentax.
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks mtngal that helps. I assume your returning it and ordering another?

I've been shooting on prime lenses recently (film) and I think I can really appreciate the better glass in the 16-50 than the 18-55. I was considering the 16-45, but I plan on taking this camera snowboarding and the weather sealing is something important to me. I think I'll just do my order and see what happens with the 16-50mm, I live in Connecticut so b&h is only a day or two with ground shipping.

08-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just don't allow it to get knocked about.
Test it out when you get it and let us know how you go.
It's a fine lens - pity about the reports of failed SDM.
Mine's been good so far.
08-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

these reports are disheartening.
i was ready to get the 16-50, now i'm not sure.
the short warranty is an issue specially with QC issues on this lens
08-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am exchanging it, not asking for a refund. There are way too many people who have good ones out there. I'm another one who finally decided I wasn't willing to compromise about the weather sealing.

I have one of the first DA*50-135 lenses and haven't had any trouble with the SDM (luckily).

Hopefully my second copy will be perfect (I've had good luck exchanging things recently).

I'm just afraid that I'm expecting too much of this lens - I bought 4 lenses this week - the DA16-50, DA200, DA300 and the DA 10-17. The other three lenses are awesome, the two DA* primes are really special so I'm afraid the bar has been set really high.

08-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you've always wanted to bungee-jump, but were too afraid to try for fear that the line would snap mid-flight, then you'll never have the experience you're looking for.

Same goes with DA* lenses, though it less of a risk of causing you any physical harm...
08-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, it seems that threads like this only attract those who have had a bad experience with their copy of the lens. Mine is about two months old and I've shot my best landscapes with it, no issues whatsoever. I think you will find that the "silent-but-happy" owners probably far outweigh those unsatisfied with their copy. I think the takeaway here is that you should buy your lens from someone who will take it back when you're not happy with it ... but that is true for any expensive gear you buy.

That said, this particular lens *does* seem to have a less-than-stellar quality control reputation ... I might not be buying one "as-is" off of ebay in the coming years.

Regards,

germar

08-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you've always wanted to bungee-jump, but were too afraid to try for fear that the line would snap mid-flight, then you'll never have the experience you're looking for.
The chance of getting retina detachment from bungee-jumping is far greater than dying, and I guarrantee you, it won't be fun.
08-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
emr

So, what is it exactly that varies in lenses with QC issues? Is it the manufacturing or material of the actual optical lenses? Can the individual lenses be positioned falsely at assembly phase? Something else?

Also, if one gets a good lens, is there a risk that it goes sour without dropping or other severe physical abuse?
08-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, there's always a risk in equipment failure regardless of care, particularly with electronic bits as in SDM...

To me, it's still worth it (until it decides to fail on me, then I may change my mind...)
08-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
So, what is it exactly that varies in lenses with QC issues? Is it the manufacturing or material of the actual optical lenses? Can the individual lenses be positioned falsely at assembly phase? Something else?

Also, if one gets a good lens, is there a risk that it goes sour without dropping or other severe physical abuse?
Based on what I have seen from other Pentax lenses over the years, the chance of any Pentax lens misaligned itself w/o impact is zero. However, how the DA* got so many misalignment is unknown to the public. It could be loose QC or the lenses were structurally weak to withstand rough transit. My advice is, if any lens of any brand was misaligned, have it replaced and don't ever dreamed the service centre would realigned it properly. It is not undoable, but it will require time consuming troubleshooting and replacing the defective barrels and lenses. Almost no service centre will go that route.
08-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Of course, there's always a risk in equipment failure regardless of care, particularly with electronic bits as in SDM...

To me, it's still worth it (until it decides to fail on me, then I may change my mind...)
It does not matter how low the failure rate is for any product, the consumer will lose much confidence on that brand if the one being bought was DOA. For this reason, the manufacturer should get it right the 1st time, not the 2nd, or 3rd. A lesson for many to learn.
08-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
My advice is, if any lens of any brand was misaligned, have it replaced and don't ever dreamed the service centre would realigned it properly. It is not undoable, but it will require time consuming troubleshooting and replacing the defective barrels and lenses. Almost no service centre will go that route.

Actually, Pentax Japan fixded my 33-55/4.5 zoom lens. It was almost broken i two after a drop accident (the camera was beyond repair). Pentax Europe had three attemps to repair it but gave up; it was decentered - right side of image unsharp. It was sent to Japan; was away for six months (I got a loaner lens) and it came back as good as new. It is possible....