Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
spots inside front element

Spots inside my Sigma 70-200 2.8

it looks like there are hundreds of tiny little spots all over the inside of the front element of my lens, it has a rim around the outside clear but most of it is affected. it is not completely circular.

08-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it could be fungus. Can you post a picture?
08-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try and get a pic once the kids have gone to bed and the madhouse has some quiet.
The lens is only about 6 months old, is it normal to have fungus on such a new lens?
08-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

No - unless there are some serious moisture problems in the place you're storing it.
Show us the pics and we'll guess together...

08-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any lens of any age can grow fungus. It depends on how they have been stored. However imho, it is not as scary as it may seem. I once had a Sigma 28/1.8 with quite abit of spider like fungus on the front element, also a leather case was all fungus. I cleaned the lens with alcohol and washed the leather with regular detergent. They have stayed cleaned since. Just keep them clean and dry will do.
08-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no pics yet, this is ''inside'' the front element and it is always stored in my bag which always has a packet of silica gel stuff
08-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You aren't the only one spotting unusual lens element imperfections on the Sigma.
Though it's hard to tell what yours are - do they affect image quality?
08-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
they dont seem to affect image quality, i get some luvlee sharp images still. it just erks me, and if it has this already what about in 5 years or so

08-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you catch it early, fungus is not really a problem, just a nuisance to remove. However the worse it gets the more it will reduce the contrast and if it there too long it can do permanent damage to the lens coatings. If your lens does have fungus clean it off before it spreads and there should be no further problems.
08-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
If you catch it early, fungus is not really a problem, just a nuisance to remove. However the worse it gets the more it will reduce the contrast and if it there too long it can do permanent damage to the lens coatings. If your lens does have fungus clean it off before it spreads and there should be no further problems.
How do you clean a zoom lens if it's inside the front element and not outside?
08-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
How do you clean a zoom lens if it's inside the front element and not outside?
You have to open the lens up to get at the fungus coated surface. The best way in depends entirely on the particular lens. If you are not confident doing this then it's best to take it to a professional unless it is a very cheep and easily replaced lens.
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
The lens is only about 6 months old, is it normal to have fungus on such a new lens?
No.

I'd not follow the advice of opening up the lens if I were you. It's 6 months old? It's under warranty right? Maybe it's not fungus. Maybe it's coating separation/degradation. Ship it back to Sigma, and tell them to fix it under warranty. Don't open it up youirself as that surely will void said warranty.

Regards,
Mike
08-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
No.

I'd not follow the advice of opening up the lens if I were you. It's 6 months old? It's under warranty right? Maybe it's not fungus. Maybe it's coating separation/degradation. Ship it back to Sigma, and tell them to fix it under warranty. Don't open it up youirself as that surely will void said warranty.

Regards,
Mike
I would NEVEr open a lens under warranty either LOL
its going back next week
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's another thread with 70-200mm in the title from earlier this week where a few of us were talking about it. The OP of that thread had some photos of what some believed as lens element separation. Someone came on saying they had the dots and Sigma fixed it under warranty.

Placed mine in the mail to Sigma earlier this week for the same problem. We will see what they say about it.
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

After not hearing from Sigma since sending in the lens, I called them today. The tech is waiting on a new front element from Japan. From the notes it appears they agree with element separation and will take care of it once the parts are in.