Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think number one looks a little "kironish". Not at all sure but it could be some kind of relative to this one. Check if the serial number starts with 22 or 28. That would mean it is a Kiron (22) or Komine (28) design, both of which are known makers of quality lenses.

Further info on this site.

08-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #17

Original Poster
hhmmmmm ebay... no.... no... i want megan fox instead...
anyhow, yeah, i think you are right . ebay does give a better view on stuff, and the price of the lens (how much and how many people would bid)

however, in pentaxforum, all my search return no result. Lets say if i type
K-7 problems
K-7 bugs
Soligor 28 35
Vivitar 80-200

NONE OF THEM works! =(
I begin to think its because i am a new member... and the search dont like me...

and jimfear, thanks for the information! i will check when i go home! you gave me some very cool info! next time when i go to craigslist i will at least know the quality of lens i am dealing with!

And I will report the number once i get home! (in 2 days or so, i am on a homeless exam cram)
08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
hhmmmmm ebay... no.... no... i want megan fox instead...
anyhow, yeah, i think you are right . ebay does give a better view on stuff, and the price of the lens (how much and how many people would bid)

however, in pentaxforum, all my search return no result. Lets say if i type
K-7 problems
K-7 bugs
Soligor 28 35
Vivitar 80-200
Use the google search on the bottom of the search page for things like that. Or you can try adding mm on the back of the searches, like 80-200mm. I suspect we can't search K-7 since it's only three letters, but CMIIW
08-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
I think number one looks a little "kironish". Not at all sure but it could be some kind of relative to this one. Check if the serial number starts with 22 or 28. That would mean it is a Kiron (22) or Komine (28) design, both of which are known makers of quality lenses.

Further info on this site.

JUMFEAR!! I've just ran home to check!! it's in fact starts with 28!
28144913!

I guess it means it's build on 1981 April!
Wah! this thing is a few year older than me!

What is komine famous for?
So this is a "more decent" than normal 80-200mm now?

And.. i am gonna exploit the search feature when i have more time.
thanks again!

08-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #20

Original Poster
I've tried my first attempt using google syntax to exploit the search of this forum.
very successful indeed.

I guess the 70-210 komine is the "golden lens" of what komine had made for vivitar. Absolutely stunning pics.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/40118-sale-sold-vivitar-series...komine-v3.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/5734-kiron-serial.html
08-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #21

Original Poster
This is sth useful for me to read.

yea generally Kiron (22), Tokina (37) and Komine (28) made the best Vivitar lenses. Cosina (09) is the currently manufacturer for Vivitar branded lenses. Some are quite decent but are no where as close to the 'golden days' of the past.

I just got a Vivitar (22) 70-205mm/3.8 around the same time as you got your 70-150. It looks and and feels very solid. The thing though is that it seems a bit soft but I guess thats just from too much pixel peeping.

Anyhow there's a similar zoom made by Komine, the Vivtar 80-200/4.5. Judging by the state of my LBA, I might end up buying one totally out of impulse. I already have 4 zooms with this focal length and 3 primes in the area.

Anyhow back to Cosina. They made a full frame 19-35mm/3.5-4.5 lens that was reported fairly sharp. (Would be nice for the 35mm film cameras.) Build quality's been an issue though. Cosina also makes a 100mm/3.5 macro lens thats commonly seen under Phoenix branding as well as Vivitar. The lens was well received in terms of image quality but it only focuses down to 1:2 life size and needed a filter to get up to 1:1.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/5734-kiron-serial.html
08-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Komine were a Japanese manufacturer who made great glass, along with Kiron and Cosina.
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Komine were a Japanese manufacturer who made great glass, along with Kiron and Cosina.
x2 for Komine...probably the best lens maker you have never heard of*.

When you get get some pictures, post them up on the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31353-off-brand-club.html thread. You might also want to post reviews as well. Your Image 28/2 already has one (Image 28mm f/2).

Steve

(*Unless you want to consider Tomioka )

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2009 at 08:16 AM.
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #24

Original Poster
stevebrot! you are right! the other person on the review mentioned the other version with 52 threads! that'll be the one i posted!
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

JUMFEAR!! I've just ran home to check!! it's in fact starts with 28!
28144913!

I guess it means it's build on 1981 April!
Wah! this thing is a few year older than me!

So this is a "more decent" than normal 80-200mm now?

And.. i am gonna exploit the search feature when i have more time.
thanks again!

Komine lens huh, that's interesting taking in to account that there's not much info on this lens on the internet, you might just be sitting on the next "must have" lens. Try it out and see how it performs. As other have said the most famous komine lens is without a doubt the Vivitar series 1 70-210 v3, it is supposed to be a great performer. One other well known lens made by komine is the Vivitar 28mm f/2 close focus, also praised for it's performance.

"So this is a "more decent" than normal 80-200mm now?" It could very well be.

I guess we are all very interested in how this one performs, you should post some pics taken with it.

Last edited by Jimfear; 08-18-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #26

Original Poster
yay! alright! I'd definitely post come pics in 2weeks of time once my exam is done.
however that comes with another set of question:

1. what photo to take to test image? I heard street signs and street ads, as well as birds... hmmm.... birds...
2. how do i clean a dusty lens with sand and stuff attached on the lens? I used microfibre cloth on the 80-200 and create all sort of static and attract all sort of lint to fly onto the glass...
I am thinknig of gettin a lenspen.
08-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may find the Vivitar 80-200 to be a poorman's equivalent of the DA 50-200 at the long end. And note that the constant f4.5 beats the DA's f5.6 at 200mm - you may not often shoot at f4.5, but it helps with the manual focus.

An SMC Pentax-M 80-200/4.5 is worth having too.

H2