Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #1

Help Needed: 3 Unidentified Lens

Hi Guys,
I am very very new to Pentax! I've been spectating in the forum for a while! But i guess I have to ask a question now!

I just acquired 3 lens today for a price of 60CAD.
However, I dont even know if the lens are worth the money, becasue I dont know what they are!

I bought them just for the sake of gambling.
Can anyone tell me a bit about them? Are they really crappy lens? Where can i get further reading on them? i do not see them on the lens review nor the search...

They are all MF lens, K mount.

Pictures would be attached below, I will also write down what i saw on the lens.

1. Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5 MC Zoom, 58
2. Auto Image 1:2.8 f=28mm, 52
3. Soligor C/D DualFocal 1:3.5/28mm + 1:3.8/35mm, 52

So, thanks guys for helping me out! Hopefully it was not a bad deal!

Last edited by AMBIVALENCE; 12-02-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: remove photo to free up server space
08-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
some more pics of the mount.

Last edited by AMBIVALENCE; 12-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

All three should be okay, with number 3 being better.
#1 and #2 aren't that interesting (they're pretty widespread and cheap enough. Added, they probably would cost what you paid for the three).

Now, Soligor looks interesting! C/D is their premium line - C/D stands for "computer designed" and is their "pro" level optics for that time. So, image quality should be at least decent. Dualfocal design means that you get a lens with two focal lengths - 28mm and 35mm (now that's rare...), but nothing in between - so it's not a zoom. You should be able to switch between focal lengths by pushing/pulling lens barrel. Oh, and I like the font they use on that series.

So, you didn't get a bad deal. It's not a deal of the century, but not a ripoff either
08-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Mounts are just standard K mount. You'll have to use M mode with green button (assuming you're using those on digital)

08-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for your reply pbo!
Yeah, those lens look really really really dusty. and again, i am not expert at cleaning lens, so i think i may get a blower and a lenspen to clean them up. I did clean up the Vivitar tho.

As for the C/D lens, thanks for giving me such info! yeah, indeed thats not a zoom lens, i am so newbie that I dont know how to evaluate image quality, and i am totally afraid of using the lens before it's properly cleaned up.

If i may ask, how come dual focal is not popular? and what is the advantage compare to conventional zoom lens?
08-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
and.. i heard about the vivitar series 1 70-210, but not this 80-200.
what the heck is this thing. I even look up google typing everything i see on the lensbody, but i still couldnt find decent result.
It must be bad...
08-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the M42 version of that Auto Image. I find it pretty crappy with lots of PF and CA, but resolution wise it's decent stopped down, and f2.8 is really easy to focus with. Just have fun with it (until you can replace it with a Tak or good Vivitar variants. Although I have heard somewhere that the K version of Auto Image is actually a clone of one of the Vivitars, so it might be better than my M42 one.
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
really? i dont know. i am going to clean my lens next week and try them out.
This week is full of exam and stuff. hopefully Its like what you've said! =D
thanks!

08-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
ahem. can anyone tell me how can i efficiently find lens in the future?
08-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ahem. can anyone tell me how can i efficiently find lens in the future?
Ever watched Transformers? Remember where they found info on glasses? That's where....

That, or the marketplace on this forum.
08-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If i may ask, how come dual focal is not popular? and what is the advantage compare to conventional zoom lens?
I dunno, you just don't see them that often... Maybe because they're somewhere between primes and zoom - I mean, if you think about it, 28mm and 35mm isn't really that much of a difference. It's like what, x1.25 difference?
The good thing about it is, probably, that image quality doesn't suffer as much. So, it's less of a compromise than a zoom lens. Besides, C/D oughta mean something good...

QuoteQuote:
and.. i heard about the vivitar series 1 70-210, but not this 80-200.
what the heck is this thing. I even look up google typing everything i see on the lensbody, but i still couldnt find decent result.
It must be bad...
Why bad? It's just not that much talked about but yeah, it's most likely not stellar.
08-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
i am going to clean my lens next week and try them out.
That's the best way to know if they are any good. Use them for a little photography. Then you can tell us!
08-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with pbo -- that Soligor is inetersting. The font reminds me of Russian lenses.
08-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
thanks again everyone!
The reason i was a bit uptight on cleaning the lens and try is i dont know how to clean them yet.

Plus. i do not know how to take appriporiate pics! (not just with MF, but everything!)
So, in sept i am going to enroll into a photography course and learn about it!

And transformer...
yeah... maybe some robot and a hot chick will come to my room in a few days just for the lens...

and i do have to agree i like the soligor fonts too. they are big and easy to read. at the end of the day, it look professional!
08-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
And transformer...
yeah... maybe some robot and a hot chick will come to my room in a few days just for the lens...
I meant ebay