Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #1

Help! Need advice!

Hi.

I need some quality advice on my current line-up. For background info, I currently have:

Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8
Sigma EXDG 50 f1.4
Pentax DA 70 f2.4 limited

For starters, I love the IQ on all the three lenses above. I've been using the DA* for general use, the Sigma in low-lights & the Limited specifically for portraits.

The issue I face is often finding the DA* a bit too short to take candid portraits (and being lazy to change lens to the 70mm Limited).

I've been pondering now for a week whether to sell the two Pentax DA* & Limited lenses and getting myself a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Macro.

Now my questions are:

1) whether I'd be sacrificing much IQ (which is my highest priority) by replacing the 70mm f2.4 limited with the Sigma - when shot at 70mm @ 2.8?

2) whether I'd be losing any autofocus speed when replacing the DA*16-50 with the Sigma 24-70?

The other issue is of course I'd be missing the 16mm-24mm wide angle range, but is something I'm willing to sacrifice (I tend to use the longer range much more often than the wide).

Weather-sealing is not really an issue for me...

Please help! Should I keep my current line-up or get the Sigma 24-70???

08-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by atadpole13 Quote
Hi.

I need some quality advice on my current line-up. For background info, I currently have:

Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8
Sigma EXDG 50 f1.4
Pentax DA 70 f2.4 limited

For starters, I love the IQ on all the three lenses above. I've been using the DA* for general use, the Sigma in low-lights & the Limited specifically for portraits.

The issue I face is often finding the DA* a bit too short to take candid portraits (and being lazy to change lens to the 70mm Limited).

I've been pondering now for a week whether to sell the two Pentax DA* & Limited lenses and getting myself a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Macro.

Now my questions are:

1) whether I'd be sacrificing much IQ (which is my highest priority) by replacing the 70mm f2.4 limited with the Sigma - when shot at 70mm @ 2.8?

2) whether I'd be losing any autofocus speed when replacing the DA*16-50 with the Sigma 24-70?

The other issue is of course I'd be missing the 16mm-24mm wide angle range, but is something I'm willing to sacrifice (I tend to use the longer range much more often than the wide).

Weather-sealing is not really an issue for me...

Not really experienced here, but I will try to answer with my point of view. I wouldn't start selling those great lenses, I mean, I wouldn't replace any of them by the Sigma 24-70mm because the last one is not at the same level, in my opinion, so I think you would be losing some IQ, specially at 70mm. If you can afford it just get the Sigma and compare IQ, etc. for a few days before taking a decision, but I think those lenses complement each other and you may find that you dont have to sell any of them (if bills and banks are not killing you, of course)

If you search on the forum about the Sigma 24-70mm you will find that many people recommend the older 24-60mm for its better IQ, I havent try any of them but I was also thinking about getting a 24-70 by Sigma or the excellent FA*28-70mm. I have a similar feeling when shooting with my DA 16-45, I love the wide angle but sometimes I would like to have more reach, ok then, time to use the DA* 50-135 but then I miss the wide angle, and to tell you the truth I dont like changing lenses in action.

As per your second question, I dont think the sigma 24-70 is slower when focusing than the DA*16-50, in fact the DA* lenses are not top of the class on focusing speed.

Hope this helps, but you will get better answers than mine, for sure...
08-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atadpole13 Quote
If I were trying to cover the middle range like that, I'd go for the Tamron 28-75mm. I could never give up the wide end, so I'd also need a wide angle lens like the DA 16-45mm. You could get both for about what you'll get from the sale of the DA*.
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the other question I would raise is whether an F2.8 lens in the 70-80mm range has a shallow enough DOF for portraits.

Have you considered something like the Samyang 85mm F1.4?

It is great for portraits.

Want longer, look at older SMC 105mm & 120 F2.8 or 135mm F2.5, or even the top end of the DA-50-135F2.8 focal length range.

08-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how much IQ you'd give up, but I really doubt the 24-70 would focus nearly as quickly as the DA70, and it's pretty huge too. Both of which could make it a much less satisfactory lens for candid photography. Personally, in situations where I was too lazy to switch to the DA70, I'd keep shooting with the 16-50 and crop as necessary.