Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks you guys, I just went into my bag and placed all my lenses upside down.

08-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I store mine on their side to keep the corks from drying out.

Oh wait, wrong forum...
actually, aren't most of them using synthetic corks these days? I know it's OT but in that case does it matter anymore? Been years since I actually kept decent wines in the house...so, just curious.
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Kguru,
Most lens cases have the filter side pointing down. This may be because the bigger base allows them to stand up easier, or they might have another reason. But if the manufacturers are doing it then it can't be bad to store lenses that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Haha ... it reminds me of a not-so-amusing episode.
I read from some "tips & tricks" article and duly advised my father to store part-used tins of paint upside down, I guess so the paint itself would seal any gaps around the lid. He did ... 3 months later when he picked it up to paint again, guess what the lid had glued to the floor while the tin itself came off and up, emptying several litres of paint onto his fairly new workboots, and the floor of course.

I won't tell you what he told me then
Kguru, I have a question for you. Since you live in the USA, What the @#$*& is a litre ?
I don't believe you guys use the Metric system yet.

If you happen to turn metric the proper spelling, in Canada anyways is liter
08-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
Forum Member

I keep my lenses on their side (like a good wine) - both caps on - in foam lined aluminium flight cases with a couple of bags of silica gel added for good measure.

I have stored lenses this way for 25 years and have yet to have problems with sticky blades or fungus.

Cheers MZ

08-18-2009, 03:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Kguru, I have a question for you. Since you live in the USA, What the @#$*& is a litre ?

Hi LL,
I did live in the USA a few years but I am a long-time citizen of Aussieland.

We are just about fully metric by now. Our correct spelling is litre; similarly for length we use metre (whereas meter is a device to measure like a speedometer).

Cheers
08-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I use mine too often to worry about how they are stored. If they are not on the camera, they are on their ends, with caps on, or on their sides in the bag. I dont think it makes any difference at all how they are resting.

Jason
08-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It's litre in the UK and, of course, France (where the metric system originates). What is it in Québécois?

And, of course, the official spelling of the SI unit is litre.

Richard

08-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Hi LL,
I did live in the USA a few years but I am a long-time citizen of Aussieland.

We are just about fully metric by now. Our correct spelling is litre; similarly for length we use metre (whereas meter is a device to measure like a speedometer).

Cheers
We converted over to metric long ago, in the early seventies, & a liter is used for lighting a fire or cigarette here in Oz.
08-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #24
Forum Member

Here in the UK we use the COMPLETE SYSTEM of measurements.

I buy a pint of beer and a litre of vodka. My filter is 77mm in diameter and I drive 10 miles to work. I weight 11 1/2 stone but buy 250grams of butter. All of the rules are unwritten and nobody gets confused!

PS the correct spelling is litre - it’s a French word and that’s how they spell things - a bit like centre both Latin derived.

Cheers MZ
08-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote

I buy a pint of beer and a litre of vodka. My filter is 77mm in diameter and I drive 10 miles to work. I weight 11 1/2 stone but buy 250grams of butter. All of the rules are unwritten and nobody gets confused!
I studied engineering, metric made calculations a lot easier but in daily expressions metric is cumbersome. I've heard TV news reporters say things like "he was beaten within centimetres of his life"! They're probably bound by policy guidelines which ban using the word inches.
08-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #26
Inactive Account

i store them lying on their side, inside a plastic air-tight container with a few bags of silica-gel thrown in.

had a bad experience with mr. fungus a while back with my old Ricoh XR1000s
08-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #27
Banned

im from the US (which of course means no metric system) and I spell it litre. I also spell caliber as calibre and use all sorts of other 'European' oddities. such as 'mate' and 'bollocks'. I have never been to Europe. I dont really know how it happened, I just do.
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I know Pentax recommends that for when you are changing lenses, but what advantage can be gained by keeping a lens face down for long term storage?
this has nothing to do with the lens, but to keep dust or moisture or other falling objects ouot of the camera when the lens is off.

in the old days it was to insure light leakage also through the shutter did not cause film fogging
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote

PS the correct spelling is litre - it’s a French word and that’s how they spell things - a bit like centre both Latin derived.

Cheers MZ
Yeah..poh-ta-to, poh-tah-toh..same difference..
08-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

In the U.S. either spelling is acceptable, though liter is preferred.

Steve